Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Machinery and Supplies
Reload this Page Point Groove indexing fixture & review & recommendation!!!

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Point Groove indexing fixture review & recommendation!!!
Old
  (#1)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey
scdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Smile Point Groove indexing fixture review & recommendation!!! - 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Hi,

I just had a new point cutting fixture fabricated by a master machinist named Alan who lives in my area and I have known for over 10 years.

I gave Alan all of my requirements for the new jig and he delivered.

The accuracy and repeatability of this unit is scary. I had micrometers and mechanical adjustable stops installed on the Y- Axis and on the table angle. I have built 5 cues on the rig since Al installed it on my bench top mill using the T Slot system and I can go from 5 point to 4 point in different geometries in seconds. High low points to different lengths are also just a number on a chart. Plug and play. I can remove the table for other milling jobs and reinstall this unit in a few minutes and I am good to go right away.

The heavy duty alum billet stock to make the base and tilt table were all precision milled on both sides on Al's big CNC mill. He mounted the rotary indexer and tail stock with 1/2" ground dowel pins and the line up between centers is awesome.

The first thing I noticed when building my point cues with this baby was how perfect the points aligned not only on the ends but within the geometry of the intermediate veneer ends. Super workmanship.

If anyone wishes to get one of these units built by Al just give him a call. You will not be disappointed with his craftsmanship!

Al has also tweaked many other precision machine fixtures and tooling in my shop and he is very familiar with the cue making processes and understands intuitively how to fix problems and he can do design and engineering modifications to that end.

Anyone who wishes to contact Alan at info@wazprecisioncomponents.com

Rick

"Handcrafted Cues using Procedural Process Control"

Cell 847 641-0276

Last edited by scdiveteam; 06-30-2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old
  (#2)
ELBeau
AzB Silver Member
ELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond reputeELBeau has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-25-2014, 05:12 PM

You'll get even better results if you ditch that drill chuck and pick up an appropriately-sized quality collet for that cutter. Rigidity and accuracy of drill chucks leave something to be desired.

Custom made veneer used by some of the best cuemakers in the business for years! CueVeneer.com

Old
  (#3)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey
scdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBeau View Post
You'll get even better results if you ditch that drill chuck and pick up an appropriately-sized quality collet for that cutter. Rigidity and accuracy of drill chucks leave something to be desired.
Amen Beau,

I have a better cutter in hand and will be replacing the chuck as was also Alan' s recommendation.

Thanks,

Rick

Cell 847 641-0276

Last edited by scdiveteam; 06-25-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Old
  (#4)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

06-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Hardinge indexer and tail stock would seem mandatory.

Old
  (#5)
newguy99
http://www.palmercue.com/
newguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2014, 08:27 PM

I have a harding if u need one 860 796 0230

Old
  (#6)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

06-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Is the Unhappy face because you have not got around to getting the collet and cutter you really need.
The plate etc looks really nice. I would be using a big washer or a shaped washer if it was me. Just don't like the rotating nut against a flat surface. But is just overkill me.
Thanks for sharing the pictures though.
I heard a great saying today, "If you can not measure it, how can you make it right.?"

Neil

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

Old
  (#7)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey

06-26-2014, 03:52 AM

Neil,

I don't know how the unhappy face got on there, I must of hit a button by mistake.

Those nuts are very large and are flanged to put even pressure on the plate.

Thanks,

Rick

Cell 847 641-0276

Old
  (#8)
CAMCUES
AzB Silver Member
CAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond reputeCAMCUES has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Here is pic of cutter you need and yes get rid of Jacobs chuck this has been my homemade setup for years and it works great but get a real cutter and you will love it

Old
  (#9)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

06-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Someone else in this area had another interesting variation on this ... he used two indexers as those import indexers are cheaper than their matching tailstocks ! Thanks again whoever you are

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#10)
newguy99
http://www.palmercue.com/
newguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond reputenewguy99 has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2014, 05:21 PM

I have an 80 year old machinest freind he made up 3 of them for me just like yours the old timers must all thing the same way it works well i have some harding indexers i find them easyer to work with i use a few of the one you use also on a ring macking fixture iam setting one up for doing a 30 but with a steady restin the back iam thinking about doing it right thru the collet instead then i can make it a little shorteri used mine for v pionts butterfly points i just change the cutter but when iam done i have to spend time finding my sente again a little bit of a pain in the ass to getit dead nuts

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: