About time
Old
  (#1)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Smile About time - 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM

For me to quit directing tournaments. I spoke with Pat Fleming sometime ago and will not be going back to the U.S. Open, unless there is an emergency of some kind. I also do not plan to go to DCC and direct the Bigfoot event again. I just don't want to work the long days anymore and feel it's time for a younger generation to take over for guys like me and Kenny Shuman and Bill Stock. We are all around 70 years old. I have been running events for well over thirty years and that's enough for me. Kenny will only be working the TV table at the Open this year.

I do plan to continue doing commentary when asked and write the occasional piece for Billiards Digest and will also endeavor to give back to the game that has been so good to me. Things like the Robles Sportsmanship Award and the BEF Foundation are high on my list, as well as up and coming young players who may need help from time to time. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.

I love meeting fellow AZers when we cross paths and still want to make that one last road trip some day. Don't worry, you can't keep me off of AZ Billiards!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 07-28-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Old
  (#2)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all you have done for the game

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#3)
jalapus logan
pool shooter
jalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

07-28-2016, 08:32 AM

Does this mean that you will be available for some friendly, low stakes one-hole at the DCC this year? I'll tempt you with a free cocktail or two if that suits.

I've missed the DCC the last two years due to work and would love to get a chance to go for a day or two this next one.

Best,

JL

Old
  (#4)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 08:46 AM

Weak, lol j/k

You have done well and I am happy you are able to do what you enjoy, your a lucky man.

Last edited by couldnthinkof01; 07-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Old
  (#5)
Petros Andrikop
AzB Silver Member
Petros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond reputePetros Andrikop has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
Thanks for all you have done for the game
Same thing here

Old
  (#6)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease

Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

07-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Come on Jay, spill the beans.

We all know your'e heading for the Poker Tour.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)

Old
  (#7)
Dimeball
AzB Silver Member
Dimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond reputeDimeball has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
For me to quit directing tournaments. I spoke with Pat Fleming sometime ago and will not be going back to the U.S. Open, unless there is an emergency of some kind. I also do not plan to go to DCC and direct the Bigfoot event again. I just don't want to work the long days anymore and feel it's time for a younger generation to take over for guys like me and Kenny Shuman and Bill Stock. We are all around 70 years old. I have been running events for well over thirty years and that's enough for me. Kenny will only be working the TV table at the Open this year.

I do plan to continue doing commentary when asked and write the occasional piece for Billiards Digest and will also endeavor to give back to the game that has been so good to me. Things like the Robles Sportsmanship Award and the BEF Foundation are high on my list, as well as up and coming young players who may need help from time to time. I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.

I love meeting fellow AZers when we cross paths and still want to make that one last road trip some day. Don't worry, you can't keep me off of AZ Billiards!
As long as you keep commentating, good for you. Great job at the US Open, I think you're the best out there!

Old
  (#8)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

07-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Helfert View Post
I want to enjoy whatever time I have left.
Great job Jay, you've worked hard for a long time... it is time to enjoy.

I retired in 2011 and am enjoying the time I have left.... I'll be 70 next year and still have plans for well into my 80s+

The only thing I miss is the times when the players succeeded reaching their goals. Joy is a wonderful emotion to share.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 53 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 8+

Old
  (#9)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-28-2016, 10:40 AM

thanks for all you have given to pool jay....
larry

Old
  (#10)
Nine ... corner
A student of human moves~
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Good for you, Jay. As long as you can afford to slow down then it's what you deserve so enjoy.

"I'm shootin' pool Fats, when I miss you can shoot."

Old
  (#11)
Keith E.
AzB Silver Member
Keith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond reputeKeith E. has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 10:51 AM

Jay,

I appreciate everything that you've done for the game and that includes removing yourself from a bad situation when you know that it's bad.

Keith

Old
  (#12)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm 72. Jay, I know what you're doing and why. When we know the time ahead is short, priorities and attitudes change.

Thread: About time
Old
  (#13)
14.1 Forever
AzB Silver Member
14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute14.1 Forever has a reputation beyond repute

Thread: About time - 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post

Thank You ... for what you have given to the game!!! Looking forward to your continued words of wisdom and your excellent commentary.

Relax & Enjoy!!

Al Romanot - PBIA (BCA) Certified Instructor

"Give Your Opponent the Shaft"

Old
  (#14)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 169290

07-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Sorry to hear you won't be working tournaments anymore, but I undertstand it. I hope you stay happy and healthy for at least 20 more years. John Terrell

Never Give Up

Old
  (#15)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

07-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Here's hoping your next 70 years is just as eventful Jay!

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: