Reload this Page I'm a fool/revelations
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
I'm a fool/revelations
Old
  (#1)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

I'm a fool/revelations - 08-25-2019, 05:22 AM

so I recognize a few shots I could be better at, decide to target those
one is going up and down for shape..I'm often trying to finesse balls instead of hittinm
I'm messing around with center ball for the shot, and when I say center
I mean dead center on the rock, a cue ball position I rarely employ
and I realize how little I know about this foreign land
so I say hey, why not trying shooting a rack that way, just using center ball, no left/right
so I'm shooting around and then, it hits me-
center ball means vertical axis!

I'm not joking when I say I thought playing "center ball" literally meant playing
the center of the cue ball.
can you believe it
and of course, in my mind, I'm seein yall post about it, thinking
what there's no way a player can move around the table
using just the dead center of the cue ball all the time
so I didn't worry about it, and just went back to aiming wherever seemed like a good idea

now that we've established my foolishness
so I'm shooting strictly center axis, top to bottom, bottom to top, no left/right
and I'm slicing racks up! (by my standards anyway)
sure I'm still doggin shots here and there, but I'm also amazed at how easy I found it
to not use english
I'm seeing shots and positions in new ways
like instead of using left/right, I'm working the pocket more, hitting balls differently
and letting speed do the work, which appears to be more predictable, without the english
and when I wasn't sure about position, I was getting good rolls more often than not
I think maybe because my lines again, were just a little more predictable
I was able to shoot entire 9-ball racks just with the vertical axis..
I mean it, I really had no idea

anyway, I'm obviously in the beginning stages of playing this way
and there is no doubt in my mind that english can be not only helpful, but necessary
and honestly, I love spinning the rock
but I'm really excited to shoot with these new eyes, and keep building
and expanding my game
man, some days you just wake up

peace & love

Congratulations!
Old
  (#2)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Congratulations! - 08-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Congratulations!

I mean that most sincerely. Some people never get to the point of recognizing that speed and angles is the easy way to play pool. Many get upset if you even say that. "Got to spin the rock to play pool today!!"

Generally a person's game matures from just trying to make a ball, to draw, to sidespin, and then finally to using speed and angles to do the work. Some get hung up on the spin the rock stage and never get past it.

Nights I played on bar tables all night it wasn't unusual to play six or eight hours and need to use more than a touch of side once or twice. I might use it more, but it would be on shots when the table was near empty and I was clowning around rolling up on usually the money ball for a tap in.

Now that you have discovered the easy way to play pool I will give you one tip, a rule that stood me in good stead for years. Plan your run so that if you are going to use a lot of sidespin, pocketing the ball is easy. If you watch the best shooting what usually trips them up is having to use considerable side on a shot that is already difficult. Us lesser mortals can benefit greatly from avoiding that situation.

Have fun and enjoy your newfound playing style. It makes pool much much easier as you are discovering. Liking to drink and party as a young man I enjoyed the challenge tables in bars and letting others pay for my and my friend's partying. Many a time over the years I had somebody's significant other approach me after play and say it wasn't fair, I got all the easy shots. "Yes ma'am, some nights it is like that." Speed and angles instead of spin probably triples the number of easy shots you shoot. Shape gets easier and easier when you are only slightly modifying where the cue ball wants to go anyway.

Hu

Old
  (#3)
Catalin
AzB Silver Member
Catalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond reputeCatalin has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Center ball means center ball, no significant amounts of top or bottom. The words are self explanatory. And you CAN move the ball around using natural angle.

Julian

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-25-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
Center ball means center ball, no significant amounts of top or bottom. The words are self explanatory.
I think most times people use that term they mean vertical center axis, as evergruven discovered.

Quote:
And you CAN move the ball around using natural angle.
Yes, and hitting dead center ball is one way to do that (with "stun rollthrough"). But otherwise (more often) I want low for stop/stun/draw or a little high for rolling follow (to avoid sliding the CB).

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 07:52 AM

If you REALLY wanna try center ball... and practice speed and angles and cheating pockets, shoot a few racks with a phenolic tip. It'll sraignten ya out right quick. No pun intended.

Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Old
  (#6)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 10:40 AM

Best post I've seen here for quite a spell. Many thanks!

on occasion side is needed
Old
  (#7)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

on occasion side is needed - 08-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Here is a clip of Ronnie O'Sullivan, starts with a shot that he uses side followed by a shot that the commentator can't figure how he gets shape. Ronnie makes it look like the shape just comes natural. The whole clip showcases his genius on the table. From the blue to pink he again shows that there is no "wrong side" for him.
https://youtu.be/kAdIQT-1CMs?t=120

Center ball is my starting point. Then move up or down for position. On very rare occasions side.

Old
  (#8)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEm View Post
If you REALLY wanna try center ball... and practice speed and angles and cheating pockets, shoot a few racks with a phenolic tip. It'll sraignten ya out right quick. No pun intended.
I do this with my bk3, itís fun to run racks with sometimes when Iím feeling it. I also have this ďsure strokeĒ I think itís called, a mike Massey thing. Itís a rounded hard plastic thing you slide over your tip...you have to hit the CB basically dead center to not miscue and Iíll run through balls with that sometimes to remind me not to get lazy and rely so much on side spin. Then Iíll take it off and the ďfreedomĒ I have to go low or high is like getting out of prison

Old
  (#9)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 12:15 PM

I used to be all about English, felt it could help on practically every shot.

Then I played a guy routinely, many years ago, who barely moved the cue ball. The way he played, the CB rarely had much power on it and the CB usually wouldn't travel v far after contact w the OB. Never had anyone run so many racks on me and make it look so effortless.

He didn't tell me what he was doing but I picked up on it. He used center axis and new how to manipulate the stun line v well.

Now, I seldom use English. When I do, often it's because I'm gonna run the CB off a rail and want the spin to get better position.

Whenever I see a shot, I look at it as if friction is non-existent and determine natural shape off the shot at hand. Then I see where I can be and want to be. Stop, follow, draw will do it? English rarely comes in to the picture. Seeing the run out helps greatly.

One of the best drills, stop, follow and draw, perfectly straight. Start w short shots and progressively increase distance.

Your game is about to get way better evergruven.

The rail is your best friend.

Last edited by strmanglr scott; 08-25-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Old
  (#10)
JackOfNoTrades
AzB Bronze Member
JackOfNoTrades is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Hi Evergruven, Iím an amateur so pardon me if my question is dumb. What Iím getting is that youíre literally hitting the CB with your cue in the center. However, are you using any draw, follow, stun, or just allowing natural roll-off tangent?

Thanks!

Old
  (#11)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You all are giving away one of the simplest secrets for free! At least play $5 sets for this kind of info.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#12)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 08:16 PM

Revelations...... One of the best bass tracks Steve Harris ever laid down IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8WcazPlq8A

I don't like making plans for the day, because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
Player: Custom Full Splice
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#13)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

08-25-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
Hi Evergruven, Iím an amateur so pardon me if my question is dumb. What Iím getting is that youíre literally hitting the CB with your cue in the center. However, are you using any draw, follow, stun, or just allowing natural roll-off tangent?

Thanks!
yo jack!
I *thought* that when others said center ball, they meant literally hitting the ball right in the center.
what I came to realize is that center ball could mean that, but it could also easily mean
hitting the center of the cue ball all along the cue ball's vertical axis
top, bottom, and everywhere in between
hope that makes sense

thanks all for the comments and notes of encouragement

peace & love

Old
  (#14)
SJpilot
AzB Silver Member
SJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond reputeSJpilot has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 04:22 AM

I think I screwed myself over by building bad habits in this regard. I always find myself hitting a bit of outside English on basically every shot. If I need inside my process is to aim for high outside then use backhand english to pivot. It's basically the opposite of what I hear from people that you should use a little bit of inside to be consistent. I guess I just had too many games under my belt before I started doing any reading but I can't get center ball to feel right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#15)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalin View Post
Center ball means center ball, no significant amounts of top or bottom. The words are self explanatory. And you CAN move the ball around using natural angle.

Julian
Not in anybody’s fantasy world. Oh wait, yes in a lot of Internet fantasy world. However reality trumps fantasy. All top players use spin, nearly 100% of the time. And if we just count when they spin with some kind of left or right English, at any match in any professional event, I have never seen a number less than 50%. And I’ve done over a thousand hours of commentary on professional matches.

Do I think amateur players should get a baseline with center ball, including follow and draw, staying on the vertical Center? Of course. But you’d be fooling yourself if you think you could play excellent pool and not use English on most of your shots. You’d be swimming up river rather than going with the flow. That’s reality, not fantasy.

And I took snapshots of some recent snooker championships, especially with Mark Selby, and he was doing the outside English thing on basic cut shots, the white not going anywhere near the rails. So let’s not all pretend that all slugger players use just the vertical center either. I think often times the cue ball is just too small for viewers to realize that they’re off to the left or right just like we do in American Pool.

Freddie <~~~ flowing

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 08-26-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: