Reload this Page The National Debt
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The National Debt
Old
  (#1)
slop stroke
I drink, theyfore I ain't
slop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond reputeslop stroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The National Debt - 08-13-2019, 11:51 AM

I seem to recall that, I don't know, maybe 3 to 4 years ago, we would see almost daily posts in regards to the out-of-control National debt. I recall our conservative members deriding Obama and his over the top spending. I also recall during Obama's worst (debt) years, the deficit was just above 1T. OMG - what a big spender he was - Obama added about 9T to the National Debt, almost single handedly doubling the debt with deficits running at worst over 1.29T per year.

Of course there are some significant factors that Obama's team continues to raise: There was a massive recession when the deficits were the hightest, The prior admin had recently put in place an unfunded prescription drug program and a hefty tax cut for the wealthy, and of course the two unfunded wars (Iraq and Afghanistan). That is a lot to consider and one might have a bit of sympathy for the Obama admin's assault on the country's debt.

Today, however, we are in the 10th year of GDP expansion, the lowest unemployment numbers in the last 50 years, and yet the debt is now growing at a rate similar to what we saw in 2007... Hmm... Why in the world are we seeing deficits at 1T +, and more importantly, why are we not seeing the contempt for the current admin for this cycle of lavish spending over the last two + years from the same conservatives who spoke up viscerally in years past?

Where are the Tea party members? I suspect they will re-emerge when a Dem enters the White House sometime in 2021???

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brotherís eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Old
  (#2)
Mr. Wilson
Was
Mr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2700

08-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Doesn't mean it is forgotten.

I'm pissed.

Turn ALL assistance to EVERYONE off.

Get this under control NOW.

There should be laws on the books that Nobody in the House and Senate can be eligible for re-election if there is ANY red ink and NO they don't get their retirement package.

"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

-- Mark Twain

336Robin "This smells of a Prid Quo Pro"

Old
  (#3)
jason
Unprofessional everything
jason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond reputejason has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3750

08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

This is a very valid concern IMO. We are no longer on the gold standard. The Federal Reserve owns us and they just keep printing money. Inflation will continue to rise in a steep climb. I'm not an economist but it feels wrong to me.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

TRUMP 2020

Bigotry by Pangit 2019 that should never be forgotten.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499879

------------------------------
Jason

Old
  (#4)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

08-13-2019, 12:10 PM

We can get together and agree drastic measures are to be implemented to solve this burden we have cast upon our future generations.

The solution lies in replacing the Lawmakers who claim allegiance to our cause, all the while making sure that goal never gets started. When we have the votes in Congress we can address the Debt. Those in a position to vote now will never put America first.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#5)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-13-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
We can get together and agree drastic measures are to be implemented to solve this burden we have cast upon our future generations.

The solution lies in replacing the Lawmakers who claim allegiance to our cause, all the while making sure that goal never gets started. When we have the votes in Congress we can address the Debt. Those in a position to vote now will never put America first.
We're too busy hating each other and telling each other how to live to do any of that. Otherwise we would fix it.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $5.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#6)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

08-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
We're too busy hating each other and telling each other how to live to do any of that. Otherwise we would fix it.
One excuse is good as another. We all have common ground that has been eroded by identity politics. America first is not a member of the Duopoly.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#7)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 01:15 PM

"The deficit is big enough to take care of itself." -- President Ronald Reagan (c. mid-'80s, when asked if he was concerned that his deficit was triple the size of the former all-time record in the Carter recession year)

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter." -- VP Dick Cheney (when W of all people pushed back on Cheney's plan for the second tax cut of his first term, citing deficit concerns, c. 2003)

Moving now to the current day:

"Nobody is a fiscal conservative anymore. All this talk about concern for the deficit and the budget has been bogus for as long as it’s been around. How many years have people tried to scare everybody about the deficit?"

"The years, how many decades of politicians tried to scare us about deficit the national debt. The deficit, any number of things. And yet, here we're still here and the great jaws of the deficit have not bitten off our heads and chewed them up and spit them out." -- Rush Limbaugh (when one of his callers complained about it, c. July 17, 2019)

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Old
  (#8)
Smooth
AzB Silver Member
Smooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop stroke View Post
I seem to recall that, I don't know, maybe 3 to 4 years ago, we would see almost daily posts in regards to the out-of-control National debt. I recall our conservative members deriding Obama and his over the top spending. I also recall during Obama's worst (debt) years, the deficit was just above 1T. OMG - what a big spender he was - Obama added about 9T to the National Debt, almost single handedly doubling the debt with deficits running at worst over 1.29T per year.

Of course there are some significant factors that Obama's team continues to raise: There was a massive recession when the deficits were the hightest, The prior admin had recently put in place an unfunded prescription drug program and a hefty tax cut for the wealthy, and of course the two unfunded wars (Iraq and Afghanistan). That is a lot to consider and one might have a bit of sympathy for the Obama admin's assault on the country's debt.

Today, however, we are in the 10th year of GDP expansion, the lowest unemployment numbers in the last 50 years, and yet the debt is now growing at a rate similar to what we saw in 2007... Hmm... Why in the world are we seeing deficits at 1T +, and more importantly, why are we not seeing the contempt for the current admin for this cycle of lavish spending over the last two + years from the same conservatives who spoke up viscerally in years past?

Where are the Tea party members? I suspect they will re-emerge when a Dem enters the White House sometime in 2021???
I would wager that the D's really don't want Trump to focus on the bloated federal budget.... a second term, and control of both halves of Congress, could do wonders though

but you are right... it is a problem... it was then, it is now and it will be for decades to come

a D controlled House makes any discussions on that particular issue a waste of time, here on this board ,or in DC... that is why you are hearing nothing about it

Old
  (#9)
sjb
evolving player
sjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I seem to recall that, I don't know, maybe 3 to 4 years ago, we would see almost daily posts in regards to the out-of-control National debt. I recall our conservative members deriding Obama and his over the top spending.
Back then, we also saw almost daily posts about how much time Obama spent playing golf, and how much his vacations cost, and how many times he said "I" or "me" in his speeches.

Now? When Trump outpaces Obama in every one of those "OMG!" categories -- not to mention deficits?

Crickets.

I think it's pretty obvious why.

Old
  (#10)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Whenever Trump tries to cut the debt, the nut jobs say "it is only a spit in the ocean", leave it alone. Therefore none of the giveaways get cut and the Obama nightmare continues.

Old
  (#11)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Back then, we also saw almost daily posts about how much time Obama spent playing golf, and how much his vacations cost, and how many times he said "I" or "me" in his speeches.

Now? When Trump outpaces Obama in every one of those "OMG!" categories -- not to mention deficits?

Crickets.

I think it's pretty obvious why.
Start a thread and I will agree with you. But, of course, the herd protected Obama then and now. Personally, they should get NO vacation time. You're running the free world and only get 4 years to put your stamp on it. I mean, take a few long weekends but back to work. Trump always said he was a workaholic... and he probably was in his younger days. He's not anymore, even if he believes he is.

But, for gosh sakes, you live in the WH, with cooks, guards, maids, drivers, etc... you don't have to lift a finger. Some would say that is a vacation

Not sure why Obama or Trump need so much time off ??

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#12)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 02:20 PM

I can only speak for myself and say I find the spending to be appalling.

One wonders why the beltway crowd has been doing everything in their power to get rid of Trump given the state of the budget.

Saying the spending doesn't matter is BS.

It's hard to fathom the level of spending necessary, to fund the kind of policies that the Demos are advocating, who are running for president.

Old
  (#13)
Jimmy M.
Insomniac
Jimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8950

08-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Itís so funny whenever something like this gets posted because, in every case, one can just make the opposite point.

Why is it that some of you are concerned with the National Debt now when you werenít during the Obama years?

Hey! See how easy that was?

Old
  (#14)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 03:58 PM

Spending matters any party that cheats or defrauds taxpayers should be criminally and personally liable.

If a company cheats its way into a government contract or bypasses an open bidding process both the legislator and company involved should be held financially liable.

Countries have growth spending. Obama had the healthcare tax, Trump doesn't have a tax trigger finger. He is bigger on tariffs.

Money has to come from a source. Obama had the fed reserve just printing money for eight years. Obama couldn't once say China can afford to pay a tariff. But Americans suffering a major economic crisis can afford a healthcare tax. Since that tax didn't stick, wouldn't that have made the tax excessive for no other reason other than to make Obamas lobbyists happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
I can only speak for myself and say I find the spending to be appalling.

One wonders why the beltway crowd has been doing everything in their power to get rid of Trump given the state of the budget.

Saying the spending doesn't matter is BS.

It's hard to fathom the level of spending necessary, to fund the kind of policies that the Demos are advocating, who are running for president.

Old
  (#15)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Who do we owe this money to exactly????

The Constitution gives government the responsibility to coin money of any denomination.... Coin a 20 trillion dollars coin and give to the bookie we owe it to....

Problem solved.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: