Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Compassion and homeless.
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-26-2019, 10:09 AM

The new compassionate standard for dealing with the homeless is to allow them to set up campsites any where they want to in major cities. If it effects the local businesses and other people living in the city that is not important.

Old
  (#47)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Every underpass or good sized tree branch has a tent, a folding chair and a piss bucket.

This is Portland Oregon. Who the hell would want to live in a shit hole like this?

Make damned near anything socially acceptable and some useless POS will feel compelled to do it.

And these people are telling me via the legislature how I can live my life?

Turn in my guns? I don't think so.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#48)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Every underpass or good sized tree branch has a tent, a folding chair and a piss bucket.

This is Portland Oregon. Who the hell would want to live in a shit hole like this?

Make damned near anything socially acceptable and some useless POS will feel compelled to do it.

And these people are telling me via the legislature how I can live my life?

Turn in my guns? I don't think so.
Same thing in Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco and Austin Texas too now that our council has loosened restrictions on where camping is allowed. It was already getting bad but since they changed the rules the visibility and boldness of the public camping has gone up a lot!

Old
  (#49)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member

08-26-2019, 11:05 AM

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/aus...omeless-crisis

Quote:
Some Austin business owners say the homeless problem is now a homeless crisis. One downtown business owner says he may start closing early to keep employees and customers safe.

Everyday around lunch "Crow" stakes out a shady spot on Congress Avenue. The homeless man says he likes the heavy foot traffic in front of Royal Blue Grocery and he's not the only one.

“We're seeing a lot more homeless people in front of our store,” said Craig Staley, co-owner of Royal Blue Grocery which has six locations in the downtown area.

Staley says the increase in the number of homeless people is one recent change he's seen. But he's worried about another one. “We're seeing them stay permanently,” said Staley.

In June, the Austin City Council changed the homeless ordinances to allow sitting, lying and camping in more public spaces, including sidewalks. Staley says that's when one homeless man moved in. “All his belongings are right here up against our patio and we can't do anything about it. We can't. The police can't,” said Staley.

The patio on Congress Avenue was designed as a shady spot for tourists and locals to grab a quick meal. “Can you camp right next to a patio?” asked Staley.

He knows that right now the city's answer is yes. “They call Congress the Main Street of Texas and this is how we're treating it,” said Staley. “We've got to have some rules for these streets that are so important to our city.”

If the rules don't change the Congress Avenue store might start closing at 6 p.m. instead of midnight. Staley says the safety of employees and customers is the reason why.

“I'm a little bit more careful at night,” said David Epp. “That’s when I sometimes work overtime.”

This long-time customer of the Royal Blue Grocery can't believe Austin has put itself in this position. “It's sad to see that in a country as prosperous as America we can't figure out this problem and fix it,” said Epp.

Congress Avenue business owners are calling for a solution that benefits everyone. “It's definitely not an us against them situation,” said Staley. “We've got a crisis down here and we need some help.”

Old
  (#50)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 11:48 AM

Canadians aren’t exempt from this problem...the ‘gimme gimme’ generation

Name:  A2BD2A33-E74A-4163-A094-EDBE32E39FC4.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  62.2 KB

These people don’t look like they can’t take care of themselves....
..I have a lot of sympathy for old and feeble, physically infirm, barely functional IQ....
...but so many today are just demanding stuff they didn’t earn....
..once they demand stuff, it’s not charity, it becomes thinking like Stalin or Mao followers.

My mother’s grand father, being not the oldest son, struck out from Scotland to make his
fortune...arranged a land grant in Ontario (150 acres)...landed in Montreal broke...
...walked about 450 miles, living off the land...made a lean-to and started planting...
...sent for his family in two years...the homestead is still in our family..triple acreage.

The only ‘gimme’ both sides of my family wanted was a chance

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#51)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member

08-27-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Canadians aren’t exempt from this problem...the ‘gimme gimme’ generation

Attachment 528143

These people don’t look like they can’t take care of themselves....
..I have a lot of sympathy for old and feeble, physically infirm, barely functional IQ....
...but so many today are just demanding stuff they didn’t earn....
..once they demand stuff, it’s not charity, it becomes thinking like Stalin or Mao followers.

My mother’s grand father, being not the oldest son, struck out from Scotland to make his
fortune...arranged a land grant in Ontario (150 acres)...landed in Montreal broke...
...walked about 450 miles, living off the land...made a lean-to and started planting...
...sent for his family in two years...the homestead is still in our family..triple acreage.

The only ‘gimme’ both sides of my family wanted was a chance
Awesome. Love hearing stories like that. We have some of that in our family.

Old
  (#52)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Money View Post
That looks mild compared to LA. Homeless folks around businesses is toxic. It's a sad situation and it looks like it will get worse.

Last edited by overlord; 08-27-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Is the New Gas Tax payin for this & not the roads?
Old
  (#53)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Is the New Gas Tax payin for this & not the roads? - 08-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Homeless in Southern California

Mayor Eric Garcetti says more resources coming to combat homelessness

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti addressed the city's homeless crisis, providing updates that highlighted successes and discussing what remains to be accomplished.

By Rob Hayes

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:15AM

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti addressed the city's homeless crisis Monday, providing updates that highlighted recent successes, but also discussing what has to be done to fix the problem.

"We will provide public health services to encampments to ensure that the hardest hit areas receive regularly scheduled cleanups and hygiene services, and our teams will deliver resources like daily trash collection and mobile restrooms," Garcetti said.

Garcetti's monthly update on homelessness tried to focus on the successes in the task to house the tens of thousands of people living on the streets.

The mayor rattled off the positives.

"Where we had 110 projects just a month ago, we now have 150 projects that are in the pipeline, representing 10,669 affordable and supportive units," he said.

According to City Hall, in July alone, city workers made roughly 1,800 contacts and staged 455 homeless area cleanups.

In those sweeps, the city removed nearly 1,500 tons of trash and more than 3,000 needles.

However, the crisis persists. Garcetti points the finger at cuts in federal and state affordable housing funds.

"Twenty billion dollars in this last decade that could have kept people from becoming homeless has been cut out of our state and federal funds that go to the local government," he said.

dumluk

Old
  (#54)
ShootingHank
AzB Silver Member
ShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond reputeShootingHank has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Do they really have mental problems?

-or-

Being outside and seeing thousands of passer-bys come and go without any social interaction with them will drive a person insane.

I have encountered many around the pool room and I use to joke to friends that they should get off the streets before they become crazy. A fairly new homeless girl I witness started to talk to herself within months but before that she was normal. Just an 18 year old girl that ran away from an abusive home. She told me her entire story and I gave her some money. Months later she seem to lose it and became crazy.

I don't know if it's the nature of mental illness or the mean streets with no shelter can bring out the crazy.

Old
  (#55)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMas View Post
Homeless in Southern California

Mayor Eric Garcetti says more resources coming to combat homelessness

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti addressed the city's homeless crisis, providing updates that highlighted successes and discussing what remains to be accomplished.

By Rob Hayes

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:15AM

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti addressed the city's homeless crisis Monday, providing updates that highlighted recent successes, but also discussing what has to be done to fix the problem.

"We will provide public health services to encampments to ensure that the hardest hit areas receive regularly scheduled cleanups and hygiene services, and our teams will deliver resources like daily trash collection and mobile restrooms," Garcetti said.

Garcetti's monthly update on homelessness tried to focus on the successes in the task to house the tens of thousands of people living on the streets.

The mayor rattled off the positives.

"Where we had 110 projects just a month ago, we now have 150 projects that are in the pipeline, representing 10,669 affordable and supportive units," he said.

According to City Hall, in July alone, city workers made roughly 1,800 contacts and staged 455 homeless area cleanups.

In those sweeps, the city removed nearly 1,500 tons of trash and more than 3,000 needles.

However, the crisis persists. Garcetti points the finger at cuts in federal and state affordable housing funds.

"Twenty billion dollars in this last decade that could have kept people from becoming homeless has been cut out of our state and federal funds that go to the local government," he said.
That's it pass the buck. Building anything even an outhouse is bound by endless regulatory control in Los Angeles.

Giving insane folks their own place will do nothing for them. They will still be insane.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: