Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Rule regarding slo mo instead of ref (or when ref not available)

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Rule regarding slo mo instead of ref (or when ref not available)
Old
  (#1)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

Rule regarding slo mo instead of ref (or when ref not available) - 09-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Does anyone know if there is a current rule proposal to allow phone slow mo video to decide hit calls? We sometimes use it when there's no ref. And, it's very hard to dispute the call when it's on video.

Everyone has a phone these days, and virtually all have slow motion capture. And I find that videoing is no more intrusive than having a ref there.

Lots of sports have instant replay. For pool, it could be implemented instead of waving your stick for a ref to come over...

-td [just a thought (which my wife has told me to stop doing)]

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#2)
sbpoolleague
Banned
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a current rule proposal to allow phone slow mo video to decide hit calls? We sometimes use it when there's no ref. And, it's very hard to dispute the call when it's on video.

Everyone has a phone these days, and virtually all have slow motion capture. And I find that videoing is no more intrusive than having a ref there.

Lots of sports have instant replay. For pool, it could be implemented instead of waving your stick for a ref to come over...

A rule to ALLOW video?? Didn't know video was NOT allowed.

Old
  (#3)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 10:44 AM

I'm not convinced video helps as much as people think. In my experience, most of the time when people have taken video on a close call, there's still plenty of disagreement.

Old
  (#4)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I'd rather just call someone over to call it. Someone still has to make a decision regardless if its video'd or not. MUCH rather have someone standing over it with their y/n being FINAL. The less phones in the 'hall the better.

Old
  (#5)
nibrobus
AzB Silver Member
nibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond reputenibrobus has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 10:48 AM

I've used the super slo-mo on my phone several times in our local weekly tourney. Every player that's asked me to watch the hit has loved the feature. There's been 2 or 3 times where the naked eye would have called the hit good or bad, but reviewing the video reversed the call. I personally think it's great and takes about 2 seconds to set up, which saves X amount of time arguing the call.

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Here is part of WPA regulation 5:
5 Playing with an "Area" Referee
If a dispute arises between two players in an unrefereed match, and the area referee is asked to make a decision without having seen the cause of the dispute, he should be careful to understand the situation as completely as possible. This might include asking trusted witnesses, reviewing video tapes, or reenacting the shot.
So..., it is already permitted to look at video if it is available. The problem I see is that the shooter might object that the camera is distracting him. In that case you can wait for the ref to come over and distract him.

In the case of the WPA rules, you have to read both the rules and the regulations (which are details about how the rules are to be applied and dress code and such).

Here are the regulations: https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/
and here are the rules: https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
tucson9ball
AzB Silver Member
tucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

09-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:

There is no rule about using slomo.....yet.
I have used it a few times and it's a great tool. Anybody can download the super slo mo app for free and it makes calling hits a breeze.

Chris

Old
  (#8)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

09-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here is part of WPA regulation 5:

So..., it is already permitted to look at video if it is available. The problem I see is that the shooter might object that the camera is distracting him. In that case you can wait for the ref to come over and distract him.

Here are the regulations: https://wpapool.com/rule-regulations/
and here are the rules: https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/
Very helpful, Bob. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball View Post
There is no rule about using slomo.....yet.
I have used it a few times and it's a great tool. Anybody can download the super slo mo app for free and it makes calling hits a breeze.
Agreed. I have personally never seen a slow mo video cause disagreement, but I'm sure there are situations where it might occur.

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#9)
benjaminwah
AzB Silver Member
benjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 01:21 PM

I've asked about this with the APA, was told there is no rule allowing recording devices so no. I argued how much sense it would make, it fell on deaf ears.

Old
  (#10)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminwah View Post
I've asked about this with the APA, was told there is no rule allowing recording devices so no. I argued how much sense it would make, it fell on deaf ears.
I checked with the APA a short while ago and was told at that time that the use of video
replay is forbidden in the APA. This is the same on the national level.
But I imagine it depends on which league or tournament and which set of rules you're playing under

Last edited by Celophanewrap; 09-11-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Old
  (#11)
JasBy
AzB Silver Member
JasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond repute

09-11-2019, 01:37 PM

I would think if you can record a video from a respectful distance then there should be no problem, but if you are trying to record a double cue ball hit and need to be in the players view or right on top of the table? WAY to many ways to shark someone.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: