One-piece slate?

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi y'all,
I have an acquaintance who is the executor for his uncle's estate. In the basement is an 1970s Fischer Empire VIII pool table in near-perfect condition--*slight* pitting on some of the chrome but easier to feel it than see it. Really beautiful.

Trouble is, it is down a flight of stairs (door going straight outside at the top of the stairs) and the table (44x88 playing surface) has a 1" slate in ONE PIECE. At least I think it's slate--looks like it from underneath. I understand some of the Fischers were marble.

I would have bought the table if I could have moved it, but the mover in the area won't even try with one-piece slates.

Any clues or tips for my friend? He's the Director of the local Police Academy and a really good guy. He would like to find a good home for the table, and it seems a real shame to destroy it--it might not be a period piece now but it will be in another few decades for sure, it's really a 1970s time capsule. All I could suggest was that he try to sell the house with the table in it, in case it might appeal to a buyer, but the reality is that that sort of thing diminishes the value of a house to many buyers--unless they want a pool table they see it as diminishing the value of the house.

Would really appreciate any and all thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would take the slate out and move it separately from the frame. So as not to have to carry it you can slide it on strips of old carpet right up the steps and out the door. Load the frame first then put the slate back in the frame for transport. Be sure and inspect the stairway to make sure it's up to the task of supporting the slate and 3-4 guys.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hire An Experienced Professional Pool Table Mechanic

My recommendation is to hire an experienced pool table mechanic. If you do otherwise, you are only taking chances. First quality used tables (Gold Crowns for example) don't fetch a lot of money, so what you have there isn't worth much to begin with. Crack the a slate or two and it becomes worthless.