What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right?

Robert.Beak

Registered
It's an excellent idea for several reasons. I helped someone develop this idea a bit some years ago--but pool manufacturers were unable to make a transparent cue ball that was playable, for a low enough cost.

A transparent ball in the dimensions of a cue ball would be a nice aiming aid--as long as students didn't use it for an actual cue ball.

well I agree and no. it may be easier for a beginner to aim. but that does not mean that he will become a good player. Intense, hard workouts are much more useful.
Like Brazilian footballers who practice on the sand !!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
well I agree and no. it may be easier for a beginner to aim. but that does not mean that he will become a good player. Intense, hard workouts are much more useful.
Like Brazilian footballers who practice on the sand !!

Hard workouts of bad aim ingrain bad habits. When I give lessons, I show very simple shots to improve your aim FAST. It goes faster to learn on a good aim foundation.

However, I agree with you that hard workouts can help a player go next level in skill.

The clear balls posted are sharp looking but to be an aim aid, they need to be more transparent and not give illusory ball angles.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!
So a clear "ghost ball"? Why would clear be better?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any material for the ball that will stay clear in the long run. You are playing on something like sandpaper (chalk on the cloth) and you are hitting the ball with powdered sand on leather. The clear surface is necessarily going to get abraded.

Further, a clear ball will act like a lens and any image that does get through the ball will be distorted beyond use.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is there any encyclopedias or video tutorials?
I am at home all evenings...
Hi Robert,
It seems that you have made your comments in a very strange thread/subject. Was it your intention to discuss cue balls that you can see through?

If you want general advice on how to improve your game, try looking here:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/tutorial/

There is lots of good introductory material there and videos on many pool subjects including aiming. There are also many suggestions there on how to practice.

Good luck with your game.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't know of any material for the ball that will stay clear in the long run. You are playing on something like sandpaper (chalk on the cloth) and you are hitting the ball with powdered sand on leather. The clear surface is necessarily going to get abraded.

Further, a clear ball will act like a lens and any image that does get through the ball will be distorted beyond use.
Even if it was clear and undistorted, what's the advantage? What would you be able to see that would help aiming (or anything else)?

pj
chgo