THEY STOLE MY POOL BAG! - New cue suggestions?

xTratrestrial

First post, long time lurker, but would like to become active in the community.

A month ago, I moved, away from the snow, to a really nice area in Arizona. The neighborhood I settled on is very classy, full of $300-700k homes. Regardless, last Saturday night, someone stole my pool case out of my car... :eek::mad::angry:

My key fob is broke, so when I brought groceries in, I forgot to make the final trip back out to bring in my cue case, stick the key in the door, and lock up (with my car you can't even lock and then close the door). When I threw my gym bag in the trunk the next morning, I noticed it wasn't closed all the way and there was no more cue case. :shocked::shocked2::crying:

In the case were the following:

• Predator Roadline SP6ON w/ Z2 Shaft
  • Players Jump Break Cue
  • Predator SPW 2k Series Sneaky Pete Butt
  • Predator QR Extension
  • Aramith Measle Ball
  • A Bunch of Accessories
  • Bragi The Dash Truly Wireless Headphones

Everything together totalled nearly $1300. Car insurance won't cover personal property and I had been reminding myself everyday that I still needed to get renters insurance, but hadn't done it yet! </rant>

Attempting to move on, it's time for a new cue! This brings me to the point of this post; what equipment do you guys suggest?

I know Predator very well, but know little about other manufacturer's equipment. This time around, I thought I might try some less expensive gear. I can think of several pros that run Cuetec and the story about Efren shooting with his $15 cue comes to mind. I'm not looking to shoot with something quite so low end as a $15 broomstick handle, but I am considering a lesser brand than Predator that still offers a low deflection shaft with a pro taper, 11.75mm (or smaller) tip and short ferrule. Unless you guys think that I'll truly hate a lesser brand's low deflection shaft after my Z2, I think I'd like to give it a try.

I also am thinking about going with something plain. The SP6ON was a great balance between style and plainness for me, but this time I wouldn't mind getting even more straightforward. Something solid black or solid white would be pretty awesome.

A couple other details about my preferences, I don't like wraps, I'm used to 19oz, and it needs to be able to support an extension at the butt end. I'll need another break cue and something to jump with. Do you guys experience much better results with a separate jump cue over the break/jump combo? I've just begun to work on my jumping game, so perhaps I should get separate jump and break cues?

So, what are your suggestions? Who makes a pretty decent low deflection shaft that doesn't cost $300 to replace every time I leave my car unlocked? :help:

I'm looking to grab something in the next two or three days. MUST PLAY POOL!!! :smile2: I feel like a fiending crackhead. :speechless:

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. Buy Mezz stuff.
2. Check with your Home Owners Insurance. You have a policy right?
3. Get your Key Fob fixed.
4. Don't leave your valuables in your car.
Carry on, Brian.
P.S.; I'm serious about the Mezz stuff.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

A month ago, I moved, away from the snow, to a really nice area in Arizona. The neighborhood I settled on is very classy, full of $300-700k homes. Regardless, last Saturday night, someone stole my pool case out of my car... :eek::mad::angry:

My key fob is broke, so when I brought groceries in, I forgot to make the final trip back out to bring in my cue case, stick the key in the door, and lock up (with my car you can't even lock and then close the door). When I threw my gym bag in the trunk the next morning, I noticed it wasn't closed all the way and there was no more cue case. :shocked::shocked2::crying:

• Players Jump Break Cue
  • Predator QR Extension
  • Aramith Measle Ball
  • A Bunch of Accessories

Everything together totalled nearly $1300. Car insurance won't cover personal property and I had been reminding myself everyday that I still needed to get renters insurance, but hadn't done it yet! </rant>

Attempting to move on, it's time for a new cue! This brings me to the point of this post; what equipment do you guys suggest?

I know Predator very well, but know little about other manufacturer's equipment. This time around, I thought I might try some less expensive gear. I can think of several pros that run Cuetec and the story about Efren shooting with his $15 cue comes to mind. I'm not looking to shoot with something quite so low end as a $15 broomstick handle, but I am considering a lesser brand than Predator that still offers a low deflection shaft with a pro taper, 11.75mm (or smaller) tip and short ferrule. Unless you guys think that I'll truly hate a lesser brand's low deflection shaft after my Z2, I think I'd like to give it a try.

I also am thinking about going with something plain. The SP6ON was a great balance between style and plainness for me, but this time I wouldn't mind getting even more straightforward. Something solid black or solid white would be pretty awesome.

A couple other details about my preferences, I don't like wraps, I'm used to 19oz, and it needs to be able to support an extension at the butt end. I'll need another break cue and something to jump with. Do you guys experience much better results with a separate jump cue over the break/jump combo? I've just begun to work on my jumping game, so perhaps I should get separate jump and break cues?

So, what are your suggestions? Who makes a pretty decent low deflection shaft that doesn't cost $300 to replace every time I leave my car unlocked? :help:

I'm looking to grab something in the next two or three days. MUST PLAY POOL!!! :smile2: I feel like a fiending crackhead. :speechless:

A used Dominiak D3. Or you might check his web page to see what new ones are going
for now. I am a Predator guy, have been using one forever. I tried the players LD shaft,
I think HXT or HGT or something like that it seemed to work out just fine, but it may do
for you to just stick with the Z2. Pricewise, with the advent of the Revo and the Z3 the Z2’s
when you find them are going pretty cheap.
You know, you’ve been playing with a Predator, you seem to like it, I know yours is gone
so you’ll be looking for something new, why not just a new (or New To You) Predator?
You get into something that you don’t know, something that you’re just not used to,
then you’ve wasted time and money. Stick with what you like, what works for you.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Back it the eighties I did the same thing with my shotgun.
Carried everything in and forgot to grab my gun case sitting on the side of my truck
Homeowners insurance covered it in full, except the idiot at the sporting goods store I bought the gun at refused to add the case saying they had no record of the case.
The receipt was in the manual inside the hardshell case.
They had a log of the gun purchase but not the case.
Things weren't as sophisticated back in the mid eighties.
Needless to say, I purchased a new shotgun from a gun store and never did business with Gart Sports again.

Sounds like you like that LD stuff so I would buy another Predator only, buy a nicer one with all that insurance money.
People say good things about Mezz but I know Predator and they seem to have great quality control these days.
The OB speed break shafts break like a cannon and I would recommend them to anyone.
JB rugged cases are nicely laid out and I recommend those as well.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you are looking for a shaft in the 11.75mm range and ld, look into the Ultimate Weapon Pro shaft by Meucci. The shaft is a beast and if I wasn't shooting with a Revo I'd be using that for sure.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Get one made mostly of maple wood... the older the better... the rest is all BS

have a nice day

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For you and your specific situation? Whatever the Players low Squirt shaft is. PureX HXT?

Buy it and never look back. The rest of the posts are going to be what the posters themselves would do, with little consideration with what you just went through and what your criteria are.

Low Squirt
Plain Colors, not sneaky
Potentially not wrapped
No $300 shafts
Won’t hurt if you leave your car unlocked
Want to play pool

It covers what you’re looking for, and if it doesn’t happen to fit your game, you’re not into it for a lot of money. I know I tried one, and anybody would like the play of it.

I don’t know if the extension is an automatic for Players. I believe the Balance Rite rear extension is a direct fit. But there’s always blokid,

Freddie <~~~ doesn’t have one

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For you and your specific situation? Whatever the Players low Squirt shaft is. PureX HXT?

Buy it and never look back. The rest of the posts are going to be what the posters themselves would do, with little consideration with what you just went through and what your criteria are.

Low Squirt
Plain Colors, not sneaky
Potentially not wrapped
No $300 shafts
Want to play pool

It covers what you’re looking for, and if it doesn’t happen to fit your game, you’re not into it for a lot of money. I know I tried one, and anybody would like the play of it.

I don’t know if the extension is an automatic for Players. I believe the Balance Rite rear extension is a direct fit. But there’s always blokid,

What he said. I play with Predator 314-3. The Players HXT is not bad at all. Maybe not quite as LD as Predator, but pretty cheap and a great value, and still plenty LD. If you can stand a little larger diameter, I'd look at the Cuetec R360 shaft. Also cheap...you can get a whole cue for like 150-180. Hits good, plays good.

I also agree with the OB speed break shaft. I have one on a custom X Breaker butt with a Hammerhead tip, and it's fantastic.

As for the jump cue, I really love my Jacoby. I've tried pretty much all the big name jump cues and I really think the Jacoby is the best. Hanshew is also quite good. I think the requirements for jumping performance and breaking accuracy are opposed to each other, hence a jump break is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

Of course you could always just get what you know.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Low Squirt
Plain Colors, not sneaky
Potentially not wrapped
No $300 shafts
Want to play pool

^^^ This guy knows what's up!

I sell a lot of Players/Pure X products. I love the Pure X line. In fact, I think that you would be hard-pressed to find a better jump/break cue than the HXT-P1. Usually, jump/break cues are intended more for breaking, while the jump aspect is a convenience.. However, I will say that this just may be the best jumping cue that I've ever used.

As far as a playing cue, the Pure X cues all play mostly the same. They are a good hitting cue, with low deflection. The price is right, so you really can't go wrong.

Even for a case, I would suggest a Players product.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spytec makes a small GPS tracker that will fit in your case and you can track it from your cell phone. Cue cases have walked away from poolrooms forever and I've heard stories about broken car windows that happened during daylight hours.
Stealing carries a penalty. The judge will never sentence the thief to have his front teeth removed by steel-toed boots, but I will.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, something to consider, a personal articles policy for your cues.

I took one out a year ago for a new watch that I had purchased and figured I'd throw my cues on there as well. So now they're covered against theft from my car, from the pool hall, etc. Also from damage. It was cheap, like $20/year or something for just the cue portion of it.

As for what cues to get...eh, hard to say. Best to get what you like. If you played Predator before and were happy then I'd stick LD. So look at OB cues, Mezz, and Predator and see what you like best.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

Get a Mordt(BCM). He's there in Phoenix. Super nice guy who makes very nice cues. http://www.bcmcue.com/

I agree it's worth a few extra dollars that way when time comes you can always resale, players cues don't sell for much
u can pick up a used one on ebay cheap just to try if money is tight.

Also go to all the pawn shops and check their, you got to ask the people their working if any body pawn any cues lately,
cause these dam thief's pawn instead of selling the items. Cause it takes 3 months or more before the pawn shop can
sell the item and by then most people have moved on.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

• Players Jump Break Cue
  • Predator QR Extension
  • Aramith Measle Ball
  • A Bunch of Accessories

Here a possible solution for you. Buy a used Players in very good condition, then buy a new Predator Z2 shaft with 5/16x18 threads. I’m doing something similar for a backup cue. This won’t cost you too much and the setup will have a very low adjustment for you. Good luck!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that your car was broken in. If you're looking to recover, then file a police report and try to visit as many pawn shops in your area as possible.

Steve748

Registered
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This I would be visiting the pawn shops first before buying new stuff and looking on craigslist

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea man don't discount any older cues, if they are straight. Chances are strong that shaft wood won't be moving after 30+ years. Check out hueblers, they surprised the heck out of me with their playability