Critical skills for cue repairs and building (newbie)

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, once I can’t bring myself to practice putting tips on house cues anymore. What would you recommend to move to next that is a bit more challenging. I’m thinking about buying some rod and trying to make some threaded ferrules.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing ferrules is a good idea, it teaches you to focus on concentricity, I.D and O.D, major and minor etc.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, once I can’t bring myself to practice putting tips on house cues anymore. What would you recommend to move to next that is a bit more challenging. I’m thinking about buying some rod and trying to make some threaded ferrules.

Threaded ferrules, good idea. Practice taking a 3/8 tenon with a slip on ferrule to a 5/16-18 threaded tenon so that you can screw on a new threaded ferrule. Glued and screwed will insure the ferrule will stay on. The above advice is based on using a quality cue lathe like one from Chris Hightower.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone! Good idea to change the 3/8 tenon to a threaded one. I’m using a Mid Size Cuesmith, so I’m starting off with good equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone! Good idea to change the 3/8 tenon to a threaded one. I’m using a Mid Size Cuesmith, so I’m starting off with good equipment.

Looks like you have the same set up I use. The satisfaction I got from repairing a friends cue was incredible. He could not afford the quote from another repairman; as a friend I told him I would do it for free. Replacing a tenon, new ferrule and new tip was too much at this time. Here’s hoping your skills increase ASAP!

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been practicing for at least 2 hours everyday now, working on tips and shaft reconditioning. Did you need to true up your lathe? I think I’m also going to learn that process this week. Either the old house cues I’m using (most likely) have bends in them or my tail stock is not perfectly centered. My tool rest and cutter also need to be raised maybe 1 thousandth of an inch.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My mid size had less than .002 runout straight from Chris. If you don’t have a dial indicator, you’ll need one. You can adjust the tail stock with one adjustment. Ask Chris, he would be better to explain the process. While you’re at it, ask Chris how to remove the chuck jaws; you may need to clean and lube them from time to time. All in all, if you keep the equipment clean, you’ll need very little maintenance on your lathe.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either the old house cues I’m using (most likely) have bends in them or my tail stock is not perfectly centered.

Does not compute.
(These are not related)

TS absolute location affects taper.

If the issue is setting up a shaft and inducing a bend in it, the problem is workholding.

One end in a collet or chuck, the other on a center = bend.*
Both ends need to be centers, and not too much pressure between them.

* this is because even if the TS is "perfect", the grip in the chuck or collet does not necessarily (is not likely) to point the stick at it within a few .001" s gripping on wood over a distance of 29" +/-..

smt

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
ok... I only thread ferrules on break cues... all others are just a slip fit.......... for a slip fit... drill your ferrule with a 5/16 drill........... turn the tenon to fit.... glue it on........ for a threaded ferrule .......... drill the ferrule with a 1/4 in drill......... tap it with a 5/16-18 tap........ turn the tenon to about .280......... thread it with a tenon threader............ glue it on

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Find a metal lathe.
Used ones can be had for peanuts these days .
Then you can thread right .

Attachments

• DSC02445.JPG
    DSC02445.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 504

Ed P

Registered
I agree with JoeyInCali about using live tooling for threading as it makes the threads much better. Not sure about picking up a lathe for peanuts but I guess it depends on your definition of peanuts. But if you do, u better make sure the thread feed works correctly and the 1/2 nuts are not wore out or if they are can get replacements. Otherwise u have a chunk of scrap metal.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for everyone's advice... I'll try to right the ship here, but I have already bought a Mid size cuesmith lathe and I'm looking for ways to practice building or repairs, reading material, website links, anything to improve my current skills.

I understand that purchasing more/better equipment is a great way to be able to do all the things that I will one day need to do, however I just spent a good chuck of $ getting this far. I'm only 2 weeks in... so over time yes I'll buy more stuff but for now I need to buy some material to practice installing parts and repairing/building cues with the equipment that I currently own.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I guess I could have cleaned the ferrule better before I waxed. Do I add white pigment or is that a particular type of 5min Epoxy?