Is there such thing as a cheaper table

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the Quest for a decent , but not a throw away pool table, Do they make a decent cheap table. Most of these have wood for the bed instead of slate. I have read about a few that use Dura a bond or a resin injected pressed wood that is supposed to be better quality and consistency . Are all wood top pool table 's junk. It seems a lot of the cheaper grade tables are made with pressed wood instead of slate. But the price is cheaper. I seen a nice looking 7.5 ft table on Walmart .com that has pressed wood but is supposed to be treated and is 3/4 thick that is supposed to give a consistent roll. So do you think these tables would be a waste of time and should just seek a decent used table and hope for the best or what. Price is a factor , and also looking for a lighter table that does not weight a ton. Thanks

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry can't help with finding a cheap wood table.

But I will say that I've never played a wood/slate table that played any good at all. But then I've only played on a few, maybe 4 or 5 ever.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure there is no non slate table, that is worth it, no matter the price. Nothing cheaper then a used Valley. If that doesn't work for you, there is Ruxton Billiards. About half the cost of a new Valley. Not cheap, but inexpensive. Really easy to move, set up, etc. Plays decent. Edit: Not super great, but better then decent

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
looking for a lighter table that does not weight a ton. Thanks

The question I have is why? What is the reason you want a light table?

I were looking for a table on a budget, I would buy a used table and learn how to work on it myself. There are plenty of videos on how to do pretty much everything. There are numerous quality tables that are being sold every day dirt cheap on Craig's list, Ebay, etc. Buy one with good rubber and slate and learn how to recover it yourself. It's not a particularly difficult thing to do if you're at all handy. Anything else is going to be in the trash heap sooner or later.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Be sure the Walmart.com table fits in your laundry room.

It should be perfect for sorting and folding.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the Quest for a decent , but not a throw away pool table, Do they make a decent cheap table. Most of these have wood for the bed instead of slate. I have read about a few that use Dura a bond or a resin injected pressed wood that is supposed to be better quality and consistency . Are all wood top pool table 's junk. It seems a lot of the cheaper grade tables are made with pressed wood instead of slate. But the price is cheaper. I seen a nice looking 7.5 ft table on Walmart .com that has pressed wood but is supposed to be treated and is 3/4 thick that is supposed to give a consistent roll. So do you think these tables would be a waste of time and should just seek a decent used table and hope for the best or what. Price is a factor , and also looking for a lighter table that does not weight a ton. Thanks

If I had to buy a table unseen with only one description...I would buy the heaviest.
...a light table plays horrible.
Some decent tables can be had cheaply...me and a buddy were given five tables once..
...they just wanted the space back.

Keep your eye out for a coin-op table...it comes assembled...couple friends to help.
...sometimes very cheap.

Here’s a Valley for $300 in your state....
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/107226199307300/pool-tables/

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

That table might be good for kids to have fun on and maybe learn a little about playing pool. But for a serious pool player, amateur or otherwise, it's a big NO NO!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

All those are pure s^&t. If you want to blow your cash on one go ahead. Nothing but junk.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the need for "light weight" about?
Putting it in a mobile home or what?? Seriously, i've played on a couple of these and they are not worth talking about much less actually buying. They'd be ok for little kids to jack around on. Maybe. Sorta. Nah, even kids deserve better than this crap.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Putting it in a mobile home or what?? Seriously, i've played on a couple of these and they are not worth talking about much less actually buying. They'd be ok for little kids to jack around on. Maybe. Sorta. Nah, even kids deserve better than this crap.

That makes more sense than the "attic" that first came to mind. Heck, you could just put a waterbed on the floor below the table to catch it.

I've been thinking all week, with all the table threads, how inexpensive a pool table is given the enjoyment and longevity. I understand it's not always easy to scrape a couple grand together but dollar-for-dollar a used Gold Crown isn't any more than a good shotgun.

About as reasonable a recreational investment as one could make. Just takes patience and timing if you want a super great deal but used tables are everywhere.

So the weight factor caught my eye...the cost factor doesn't wash.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
You can find 9ft tables for 500 if you contact mechanics. I have had plenty of chances to get one of these covered and delivered for $1500 to 2000. I just don't
have a place to put it.

Hello ,

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

There is no pool surface substitute for slate they’ve yet to come up with that has playability quality of slate. With that said, automatically comes the heavier weight. You can get/find a three piece three-quarter inch thick slate 7-footer in the 400 pound weight range, but that’s about the minimum.

As far as price, if you are willing to put in the time to shop around, you can find some excellent playability quality used 8 foot 3-piece slate tables extremely inexpensively, but you’ll likely have more $$ tied up in getting the table professionally moved and set back up than you will in the $$ purchase price of the table from the previous owner.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
That table might be good for kids to have fun on and maybe learn a little about playing pool. But for a serious pool player, amateur or otherwise, it's a big NO NO!

Kind of like riding a moped. It’s fun but you don’t want your friends to see you.

It is better than an ironing board. A dedicated player will find practice.

I built my first pool table in 1974. Popular Science has the plans. I worked in the particle board plant that made a 1 3/4” top for Sears tables. The top was completed when we shipped it. Pockets were cut and a coating was applied to the top. It was slate gray.

It got me started. I knew better than to attempt or allow jump shots. It was a good table for a kids rec. room.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

In the Quest for a decent , but not a throw away pool table, Do they make a decent cheap table. Most of these have wood for the bed instead of slate. I have read about a few that use Dura a bond or a resin injected pressed wood that is supposed to be better quality and consistency . Are all wood top pool table 's junk.

Yes, you need the hardness of slate, and the stiffness of 1" of slate in order for::
a) the table to weigh enough you can't/don't disturb its position bumping into it
b) to play any jump shots

It seems a lot of the cheaper grade tables are made with pressed wood instead of slate. But the price is cheaper. I seen a nice looking 7.5 ft table on Walmart .com that has pressed wood but is supposed to be treated and is 3/4 thick that is supposed to give a consistent roll. So do you think these tables would be a waste of time and should just seek a decent used table and hope for the best or what. Price is a factor , and also looking for a lighter table that does not weight a ton. Thanks

As far as the bed of the table goes: slate and 1" full thickness is not a request, it is mandatory.

Then as far as the frame goes you want solid full thickness wood, no laminates, no OSB backed plywood,... Full thickness real hard wood.

If you need to save money, watch for tables on Craig's list and other social media places. Crawl up underneath the table during inspection and observe the thickness, and quality of the wood.