AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just can’t find that damn edge.......

giphy.gif

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you saying pro1 is exactly like poolology which is definitely fractions?

I think 8pack was simply pointing out a similarity between CTE Pro1 and traditional fractional aiming, not Poolology.

That similarity is the use of a single reference line from which to determine the final aim line. That is not a similarity shared with Poolology.

With CTE the reference line is the chosen fixed ccb perception (15, 30, 45, etc...). From this chosen reference line the shot either looks thin or thick and therefore the solution is to thicken or thin the shot up. So there are two options - the player must decide/choose to either thicken or thin the shot based on the fixed reference being used. Some shots are very obvious and some require experience to recognize.

With a basic old school fractional reference line, like Stan shows in his "quarter" system video lesson, the player chooses one of the fixed basic quarter aim reference lines. From here there are three options - the player either choose to shoot straight down this fixed reference line, or he decides the shot needs to be a little thinner or a little thicker than the fixed reference. Some shots are obvious but most require experience to recognize.

With Poolology the reference line is the solution.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought Poolology defined the quarter fractions...?

pj
chgo

It provides a fractional aim line solution. Quarters and eighths on the ob can be used as references to help visualize or dial/tune into that aim line, but you don't estimate the nearest quarter or eighth and then fine tune from there. That's how traditional fractional aiming works, as Stan explains in his fractional aiming lesson, but that's not how Poolology works.

And to be clear...CTE is not fractional aiming. It is only similar in the fact that both systems utilize a reference line from which a player then dials into the solution. And the CTE reference line (the fixed ccb perception) is not the same as any particular fractional reference line. The CTE perception/reference line is obtained by using 2 visuals (ETA, B, or C and CTE), and though it might just happen to match a particular fractional reference on a shot here and there, it's completely independent of fractional aiming.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Cte to me is nothing more than a fractional system.

NOPE...Brian got it right. You, PJ, DW, Joey, and whoever else needs to read what he wrote 100 times as your HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT.

"And to be clear...CTE is not fractional aiming. It is only similar in the fact that both systems utilize a reference line from which a player then dials into the solution. And the CTE reference line (the fixed ccb perception) is not the same as any particular fractional reference line. The CTE perception/reference line is obtained by using 2 visuals (ETA, B, or C and CTE), and though it might just happen to match a particular fractional reference on a shot here and there, it's completely independent of fractional aiming."

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...though [CTE] might just happen to match a particular fractional reference on a shot here and there, it's completely independent of fractional aiming.
You can say the same thing about fractional aiming itself.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You can say the same thing about fractional aiming itself.

pj
chgo

You're right. And the more one works and practices with it the better they get at recognizing when the line in dead on with a particular reference or when it needs to be cut a little thinner or thicker than a particular reference.