Superman vs The Iceberg - 8-Ball Race to 100-Who Do You Guys Like ?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
! appreciate the score updates fellas.
I don't have the time to watch but I knew I could count on the AZers to keep us informed.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For anyone interested me and Neight discussed our thoughts on the match on the Cue It Up Podcast (about 34 minutes in): https://cueituppodcast.com/archive, episode "Previewing Justin Bergman vs. Roberto Gomez".

I think Filler and SVB win that game easily with firepower and breaking. Dennis wins on firepower and experience and focus. Alex wins due to striking and heart. Maybe there are a couple of other guys that can get there in this game but it is a dead trap for anyone not elite. Aranas would be a good match, not sure how much 8 ball he plays. Busty loses due to stamina. Anyone below Dennis is going to have a tough time. I don't think Shaw can win that match.

Berg is going to slow things down, grind them up, and make very few unforced errors. He is nearly elite when it comes to firepower and patterns. Take what you make helps neutralize his breaking disadvantage which isn't prohibitive.

This can be seen with Gomez. He started out of the gate strong, but the longer the night got the more it turned around. I can see how Gomez could win a race to 25, but a race to 100 is going to be a nightmare for him in this format. Maybe I eat my words but if Gomez wins it's a sign that he's the next circa 2005 Alex, not that I was wrong on my read with Berg in this match.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For anyone interested me and Neight discussed our thoughts on the match on the Cue It Up Podcast (about 34 minutes in): https://cueituppodcast.com/archive, episode "Previewing Justin Bergman vs. Roberto Gomez".

I think Filler and SVB win that game easily with firepower and breaking. Dennis wins on firepower and experience and focus. Alex wins due to striking and heart. Maybe there are a couple of other guys that can get there in this game but it is a dead trap for anyone not elite. Aranas would be a good match, not sure how much 8 ball he plays. Busty loses due to stamina. Anyone below Dennis is going to have a tough time. I don't think Shaw can win that match.

Berg is going to slow things down, grind them up, and make very few unforced errors. He is nearly elite when it comes to firepower and patterns. Take what you make helps neutralize his breaking disadvantage which isn't prohibitive.

This can be seen with Gomez. He started out of the gate strong, but the longer the night got the more it turned around. I can see how Gomez could win a race to 25, but a race to 100 is going to be a nightmare for him in this format. Maybe I eat my words but if Gomez wins it's a sign that he's the next circa 2005 Alex, not that I was wrong on my read with Berg in this match.

Pretty good handicapping here D Man. Justin knows who to invite to his neck of the woods, and he won't be inviting any of the guys you mentioned above!

Now a good matchup for him and one he would have trouble winning would be Lee Van. Lee Van stays under the radar among the top Pinoy players but he has a higher speed than many of the guys we've become familiar with the last few years. Another very dangerous Pinoy player is Chua. He is simply a better player than all but the very best Filipinos (and a close match with any of them). Either of these two would be a handful for Justin if he was so inclined.

That said, Justin is very astute about sizing up his opponents. He can smell weakness wherever it may appear and he knows how to exploit it. He is the one exception to the rule - "Always bet on the Filipino." And then again, there's Filler and my new rule is "Always bet on Filler!" :thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Don't overlook Klenti Kaci, a stone cold killer at eight ball, and, in my opinion, at least Justin Bergman's equal at eight ball on a nine footer. Skyler Woodward is also very strong, though he plays his best eight ball on the seven footer.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We got Action guys

Superman off to great start, he won 1st 5 games today

33KIuqQ.gif

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 337

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, quite a few. I’ve never seen either player smoke, so it can’t be cigarette breaks right?
They both smoke :groucho:

Ray asked them to try and keep smoke breaks to a minimum for the viewers tonight.

But this is a gambling match & ultimately it's up to the players to agree between them on what happens.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't overlook Klenti Kaci, a stone cold killer at eight ball, and, in my opinion, at least Justin Bergman's equal at eight ball on a nine footer. Skyler Woodward is also very strong, though he plays his best eight ball on the seven footer.

Two no-games for Justin. Kaci plays too strong and Skylar is best buddies with Justin. I will qualify that by saying if Justin sees any weakness in Kaci's game he may be willing to take him on, but that's kind of doubtful.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
39-39

These guys are playing some great
H2ERs3W.gif

Crazy how these balls landed after Justin's last break :eek:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 306

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iceberg is a hell of a 8 Ball player

Only weakness is his break

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 294

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never understood why a player whose weakness is the break wouldn’t work on it more

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman is hitting the ball so pure right now I can't even believe it. If he could break worth a s**t he would be way ahead

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman

Calling out someone doesn’t mean that you’ll win. Just that you think u will/got heart.
Justin has consistently called out EVERYONE to a large set of 8 ball. Nobody/no money holders have answered.

The other Justin has consistently done the same in pocket.
Nobody is standing in line to answer either call.

Just sayin.
Ray

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stream has been down for 10 minutes now for me. When it went down, the score was 47-46 Bergman with Gomez running out.