Sugartree cues update

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
My cue making is going on indefinite suspension. Life is going a different direction & cues are at the bottom of my priority list, and will be indefinitely. My daughter graduates high school this year. My son started soccer. I'm a full time student again. My wife is still active duty. When I began building, my daughter was 4, my wife & I both active duty, and my son wasn't even a figment of imagination. I served my enlistment & took nearly a decade off from work so that I could be a stay at home parent, to create some parenting continuity for our children because of the traveling tendency of a military career. During that time I became more serious about building cues & even at one point considered making a job of it. But now life is different, circumstances have changed, and I no longer have that free time to devote to cues. I still love cues & love building cues. It's just that some things in life trump "expensive wooden toys for grown-ups". So for now, cues are on an indefinite hold, or rather slowed to a near halt.

That said, I am devoting time to completing the cues I owe, getting out any repairs & rebuilds, and sewing up any loose ends. I am not spending that time communicating or hanging out on forums chit-chatting about cues. I cannot regularly access the sugartreecue@gmail email because I have no inclination of accepting new orders or talking cues, and simply would rather spend that time getting finished the cues I owe. Less talking, more doing. I only get so much time nowadays, and it's being spent at the lathe.

I sincerely do hope folks understand, and yes I do care if you are in some way offended. However, life is life & mine dictates that being a father & husband is more critical than cues. When my son was an infant I had time. Now that he's six & my daughter will be starting college within a year, the time is not so much. My wife is eligible to retire from the military & I am ass deep in my own education. Life is truly great & I am blessed. But I only have so much time left over, so cues will wait until I again have more free time. I'm not quitting. I'm simply slowing down even more so than ever before. There will be cues here & there as I have a chance to do so, but for now i'm only focusing on the cues I owe.

I will not be logging in again to follow up or discuss things. Hopefully this message is clear & reaches anybody it needs to. Almost everybody I know in pool or build cues for, frequent this site either as active members or inactive lurkers. It's a great site for pool enthusiasts. I'll dig through email as I can but I can't promise anything other than I will be shipping any cue I owe as soon as it's ready & that is my sole priority regarding cues. One more time, I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Reactions: mia

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of luck, Eric.
If you make it to the SBE this coming year first round is on me.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck to you.
Hope your decision brings you much more happiness.
Take it easy, bro.
-B <-------- owned a few. loved them all.

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
E2,

You gotta do what makes the most sense for you. Stay in touch and safe journeys.

Eric

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of luck, Eric. It sounds like you are making the right decision for you. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Cuemaking will always be there if you decide to return to it.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
We loose one of the good guys. There are so many other jack-wagon cue makers out there that when a good one leaves it sucks...

Good luck on your new path.

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your a good dude, and I appreciate everything you've done for me...I'm going to miss seeing examples of your new work...Good luck to you man..

sengkun108

sengkun108
Silver Member
i hope the best for you and your family....i always been a fan of you and your work...i always like the knowledge you always share with us on this forum.. i will missed you ....but, family always come first...and i agree with it...
i hope someday i got a chance to visit you in US just to see your workshop and say Hi....i don't know you personally, but i feel you are a good gentleman...:smile:

Best
Dedy (Indonesia)

Twisted Turtle

Creator of Unique Cues
Silver Member
Good luck to you I am definitely a fan of your cues ! Enjoy your family ! Bamaapii Ron Daniels

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
It seems to be you have your priorities in order just fine Eric, I do not mind waiting on mine at all. :smile:

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck!

Thanks Eric for the help before. You are gonna be missed for sure. Take care of what you need to do and good luck. Hope to see you back making cues later on.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Eric,

Good luck to you in the future, however after all these years I think it's time to send back my incompleted John Davis blank.
I never once bothered you about the completion time, but you did promise to get it done.

Please send the blank back, I will paypal you the shipping cost

Regards
Ted

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"expensive wooden toys for grown-ups".

Love it! Eric, I remember when we first met on the EPT forums back in the early 90's and how you had talked about making cues. Never would have dreamed that things would turn out the way things did. Your story is truly an inspiration. Good luck in your next chapter and know that most of us respect the self dicipline and integrity involved in following through with the choices you 've made. Someday..................I hope we are once again blessed with your work.

Tokyo-dave

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I still love cues & love building cues.

I assume it is all about money since you still love building cues and it's obvious you could make a decent living at it. You are a damn fine cuemaker! It' a shame because happiness is not directly related to how much money you make. Some of the most miserable people I have ever met have lots of money.

Many people would choose a modest living performing an occupation they love versus a higher income that compromises happiness. I hope your future career is a passion greater than your your love for making cues. Otherwise, you will regret it when you are older and wiser. I also hope your wife appreciates your self sacrifice for the benefit of the family.

Last edited:

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear that a great cue maker has decided to stay low for awhile, Family is indeed what we should prioritise and off course our Creator.
good luck in your new endeavour sir, hope the passion would still be there and we wait for your return

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
??? Maybe you didn't read his post or something???

Freddie <~~~ forget it

Yes I read it and it is makes me sad and happy for him at the same time. I had a similar expireance years ago that I now regret. My ex wife helped me make that decision.

Of course it's about money, otherwise he would have plenty of time for family and cue making. He has been going to school to get a good paying job that will also take time away from family and hobbies. Or do you think he is just going to school for the fun of learning? If thats the case, he must have lots of free time that he could be spending building cues... a hobby he said he loves.

As we all know, life is all about compromises and I hope his decision is the right choice in the long run.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I read it and it is makes me sad and happy for him at the same time. I had a similar expireance years ago that I now regret. My ex wife helped me make that decision.

Of course it's about money, otherwise he would have plenty of time for family and cue making. He has been going to school to get a good paying job that will also take time away from family and hobbies. Or do you think he is just going to school for the fun of learning? If thats the case, he must have lots of free time that he could be spending building cues... a hobby he said he loves.

As we all know, life is all about compromises and I hope his decision is the right choice in the long run.
You can speculate about money, but you then wrote out a whole scenario and the cons of his decisiom based of your presumption???

Eric's life story doesn't fit with your speculation. Can we leave it at that? if it was about money, he would have quit making cues before he started.

Freddie <~~~ sometimes there just isn't enough time