Ko Pin Yi sponsored by Ferrari?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
During the last 3 matches he played in the World 9 Ball,Ko Pin Yi was wearing a shirt with what kinda looked like a sponsorship-type patch from Ferrari on it.

I noticed it pretty quick,and late in the match Imran Majid and the other commentator briefly discussed the possibility of him actually being sponsored by them. If they were actually backing him,it kinda makes sense,because Ferrari has a long-standing reputation of associating themselves with the best people,and he certainly fits that description,even though their brand has nothing to do with pool.

They are certainly well-funded enough to do so as well. :cool:. Tommy D.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Good eye, certainly looks like it.

kpy.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I remember the commentary about Ferrari sponsorship of Big Ko.

I'm hoping it's the parent company and not just a local dealer...big difference.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I remember when Coca-cola was sponsoring pool, I made sure to buy cokes. I guess I'll have to do the same with Ferrari.

But imagine driving down to the local hall in a Ferarri. By the time you finish your one-pocket match it will probably just be a stripped-down steel frame. But at least it'll be a Ferrari frame.

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it. It looks like one of the Puma Ferrari shirts that can be bought off the rack.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya that's what it looks like I think they should send the pic to them they might get a sponser ship ,,just don't send any game tape of how slow he plays or that might be a deal breaker :eek:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I remember when Coca-cola was sponsoring pool, I made sure to buy cokes. I guess I'll have to do the same with Ferrari.

But imagine driving down to the local hall in a Ferarri. By the time you finish your one-pocket match it will probably just be a stripped-down steel frame. But at least it'll be a Ferrari frame.

I had Coke give me $$$ for a tournament in the 70s...
...but it was a local bottler.
If it had been Coca Cola....it would've been huge.

So Ko's shirt may have been off the rack?
We should all email Ferrari with pics...

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, pool players are obviously Ferrari's target demographic.
What are the chances he even had a licensed shirt on? I mean 1/2 my friends get their NFL jersey's from China...knockoff's obviously. Pretty shady place over there.
I'd recommend you don't buy your Ferrari apparel from a Chinese website, unless you already have a fake Rolex to go with it

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Coke give me $$$ for a tournament in the 70s...
...but it was a local bottler.
If it had been Coca Cola....it would've been huge.

So Ko's shirt may have been off the rack?
We should all email Ferrari with pics...

Lol
Yes looks like off the rack http://cf4.souqcdn.com/item/2013/09/23/58/17/27/5/item_XL_5817275_3060687.jpg

Imagine conversation with Ferrari boss
Advertising minion : Boss , shall we sponsor pool?
Ferrari boss : awesome , I love bikini pool parties. Budget $10 million for it. And importantly make sure you hire the hottest babes and supermodels to show up.
Ad minion : sorry boss, I mean pool
Ferrari boss: pool? I tot you mean swimming pool?
Ad minion: I mean pool you know like snooker, 9 ball , 8 ball
Ferrari boss: oh that . I am not sure if their image of hustlers , gamblers and low life snake oil salesmen is suitable for us. Ok just throw small pocket change $10K to them. Oh and can you get Heidi Klum on the line ? I want her to host this $10 million bikini pool party :grin:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yes, pool players are obviously Ferrari's target demographic.
What are the chances he even had a licensed shirt on? I mean 1/2 my friends get their NFL jersey's from China...knockoff's obviously. Pretty shady place over there.
I'd recommend you don't buy your Ferrari apparel from a Chinese website, unless you already have a fake Rolex to go with it

If your friends buy "shady" products, wouldnt that make them shady too?

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your friends buy "shady" products, wouldnt that make them shady too?

It's not ethical, so yes they are shady and it's not like they can't afford to buy the real thing anyway. I think it's ridiculous...kinda like wearing a fake Piaget. China itself is shady. You aren't very likely to see a Chinese man wearing authentic licensed apparel...of course it's not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it.
The stores there are FULL of knockoffs

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's not ethical, so yes they are shady and it's not like they can't afford to buy the real thing anyway. I think it's ridiculous...kinda like wearing a fake Piaget. China itself is shady. You aren't very likely to see a Chinese man wearing authentic licensed apparel...of course it's not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it.
The stores there are FULL of knockoffs

I doubt if Ferrari is too hung up on ethics...their level is where the real hustlers are.
Phillip Morris still maintains a quiet relationship with Ferrari...even though cigarette
sponsorship is frowned upon....some call it subliminal advertising.
....if they thought they could make a buck from the world nine ball champion....
....they would do it.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The ko brothers could start their own cue company ...
Seems to be popular to make cues in Asian countries...
Their cues could compete with Cuetec's...
But they could call the company Kotecs...

At least part of each month anyway.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Jasmin Ouschan is sponsored by Porsche.

Jasmin is (or at least was in 2011) sponsored by a Porsche dealer, NOT by Porsche itself.
One of her current sponsors is a Kia dealer (again, NOT Kia itself).

gr. Dave