How and why does it work like this?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
According to people that have been around even longer than I have,supposedly the "rolls" will even out.

It sure doesn't feel like it from my perspective.

I have no idea why,but at the times when I need something to go my way,it almost NEVER happens.

If I miss a ball unexpectedly,I'm the guy that goes nights or weeks without lucking a ball in to continue my run.

Usually,my misses or whatever mistakes wind up in a place where the only way my opponent can f**k it up is if they just quit trying.

On the other hand,it feels like my opponents can repeatedly miss balls,and it either goes in so they can keep swinging,or it winds up in a spot where even a kick or jump is tough,or just flat impossible.

If my cue ball has to get into traffic to get on the next ball,I'm the guy that seems to have the ball get in such a bad spot that people just go DAYUM.

My opponents? Even the bad players seem like they can go all night and make mistakes,but getting a roll bad enough that it costs them outright seems impossible.

There are times when everything was going good,I'm playing well,the balls are cooperating,and out of nowhere,something will go wrong like the pool gods just step in and TAKE IT from me,almost like I'm being punished for some trangression in life away from the table.

A few weeks ago I played a set in the local handicap 9 ball tournament where I broke and ran out 7 times going to 9,where my opponent was only given 2 innings period and only 1 offensive shot. That's good enough to beat anyone on the planet an individual race to 9.

Then my next 2 matches I lose to a 4 and a 3 with no drop off in concentration or skill level. The balls just stopped doing anything to help me.

Last night I played 2 reasonably solid sets on the winner's side. I played a 7 and won 9-2 where I never missed a ball I felt like I was supposed to make,and finished with 3 racks in a row.

My next match is a young boy that is a 3 handicap. He is particularly dangerous when it comes to shooting wild and lucking in the 9 a couple times and I have lost to him a couple times on just random shit.

He goes up 2-1 just due to pure luck. He scratches on the break,and I only allow him to pocket ONE more ball and win 9-2.

My next match is tougher and even though I was still in a position to win,I somehow manage to hang a 9 ball to get on the hill. My opponent wins the next game with a jellied-up combo on the 9.

The reversal of the rolls or whatever you want to call it continues in my next match as well,against the only player there with a higher handicap.

Now I realize that it doesn't take much to lose playing him,but when he comes up dry on the break 7 times in a row and leaves me a tough kick where the 9 is hung up in the corner with no escape and winds up with a combo with ball in hand 8 games out of 10,and I lose 10-2.

How does the one mistake I made in the earlier match translate to a 12 game stretch where the whole match just gives itself to my opponents with such little resistance?

Most of the time I feel like I have to play PERFECT to win a match let alone a whole tournament because despite trying as hard as I can to stay upbeat and positive going into it,that at some point bad luck or whatever you want to call it will intervene and take it from me.

These times leave me feeling like some invisible force steps in and says "we can't let him play good AND get a few rolls too,something must be done" and next thing I know I'm frustrated and acting out,feeling like I let the whole world down because something I never saw coming happened.

Anyone else get this? Tommy D.

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need a more positive attitude and maybe try some positive affirmation. This is something that is coached in all sports. It's important to only focus on the positive when you are playing a sport. A great example of this is if I miss a shot, but I get the position I wanted then I am happy. Why? I was 50% there.

It sounds weird but way to condition yourself for a more positive attitude is when you practice say out loud " That was a great shot" , " That was a good stroke" , " I got great position on my next ball". After you do this for a while and it only takes a little while start internalizing this with your inner voice. Eventually your attitude will change.

Another one would be to do some positivity training. A way of doing this is through humor. I'm serious listen to a really really funny comedian or something you find really funny before you play. Put yourself in a good mood purposefully by doing that .I generally listen to comedians on my way to the pool hall so I am laughing and I am in a good mood when I start playing pool. When I do a great shot I say out loud "That was a great shot".

Now, I am not a experienced pool player, but I am a experienced competitive sports person, amateur baseball, kickball, etc.. and have had a lot of really great coaches on how to get into the positive mindset.

This isn't all mumbo jumbo BS. Scientifically , your body releases chemicals that make you feel good when you laugh. These chemicals are called endorphins. High endorphin levels increase performance.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to people that have been around even longer than I have,supposedly the "rolls" will even out.

I have no idea why,but at the times when I need something to go my way,it almost NEVER happens.

If I miss a ball unexpectedly,I'm the guy that goes nights or weeks without lucking a ball in to continue my run.

Usually,my misses or whatever mistakes wind up in a place where the only way my opponent can f**k it up is if they just quit trying.

On the other hand,it feels like my opponents can repeatedly miss balls,and it either goes in so they can keep swinging,or it winds up in a spot where even a kick or jump is tough,or just flat impossible.

If my cue ball has to get into traffic to get on the next ball,I'm the guy that seems to have the ball get in such a bad spot that people just go DAYUM.

My opponents? Even the bad players seem like they can go all night and make mistakes,but getting a roll bad enough that it costs them outright seems impossible.

There are times when everything was going good,I'm playing well,the balls are cooperating,and out of nowhere,something will go wrong like the pool gods just step in and TAKE IT from me,almost like I'm being punished for some trangression in life away from the table.

A few weeks ago I played a set in the local handicap 9 ball tournament where I broke and ran out 7 times going to 9,where my opponent was only given 2 innings period and only 1 offensive shot. That's good enough to beat anyone on the planet an individual race to 9.

Then my next 2 matches I lose to a 4 and a 3 with no drop off in concentration or skill level. The balls just stopped doing anything to help me.

Last night I played 2 reasonably solid sets on the winner's side. I played a 7 and won 9-2 where I never missed a ball I felt like I was supposed to make,and finished with 3 racks in a row.

My next match is a young boy that is a 3 handicap. He is particularly dangerous when it comes to shooting wild and lucking in the 9 a couple times and I have lost to him a couple times on just random shit.

He goes up 2-1 just due to pure luck. He scratches on the break,and I only allow him to pocket ONE more ball and win 9-2.

My next match is tougher and even though I was still in a position to win,I somehow manage to hang a 9 ball to get on the hill. My opponent wins the next game with a jellied-up combo on the 9.

The reversal of the rolls or whatever you want to call it continues in my next match as well,against the only player there with a higher handicap.

Now I realize that it doesn't take much to lose playing him,but when he comes up dry on the break 7 times in a row and leaves me a tough kick where the 9 is hung up in the corner with no escape and winds up with a combo with ball in hand 8 games out of 10,and I lose 10-2.

How does the one mistake I made in the earlier match translate to a 12 game stretch where the whole match just gives itself to my opponents with such little resistance?

Most of the time I feel like I have to play PERFECT to win a match let alone a whole tournament because despite trying as hard as I can to stay upbeat and positive going into it,that at some point bad luck or whatever you want to call it will intervene and take it from me.

These times leave me feeling like some invisible force steps in and says "we can't let him play good AND get a few rolls too,something must be done" and next thing I know I'm frustrated and acting out,feeling like I let the whole world down because something I never saw coming happened.

All I've got to say (write) is you ARE the world's best 'B' player. There are a couple of pros here and they can't run 7 racks of 9 ball in a row. You belong on tour. What in the world are "A" players like if you are a 'B"? I suppose they run 15-20 racks no problem.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its selective memory. you don't remember the good rolls, only the bad ones.

:yes:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gotta love 9ball. Like craps with a cue instead of dice.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not just selective memory. Some guys just have more than their fair share of luck. We had two guys in my town like that. No matter who they played, their opponent, win or lose, would say that they were the luckiest guys they ever played.

Rolls would just go there way a large percentage of the time. They would miss a duck, and leave you kicking three rails. They would miss another shot, and slop in something else that they ran into with the ball they missed. I once watched him run a 5 pack, and he slopped out every single rack. Sometimes two balls per rack!

The way I eventually go over it mentally, and I played them 4-5 times a week for hours on end for years, was to look at it a little differently. Instead of getting sick to my stomach from their rolls, I looked at it like training for playing guys that run out all the time.

When you play the better guys, you never or seldom get a decent shot when you get to the table anyways.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We see what we want to see.There is nothing in the world more fair than the pool gods.You just never see it that way when it works for you.Reminds me of a dude I play around local tournaments.Every time I miss and he gets out he "won the game" and every time he misses and I get out he "gave me the game".

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Neil you bring up an interesting point. During this stretch at this particular place I can honestly remember being just flat outplayed 3 times in over 100 sets,all 3 of them against the same guy that beat me 10-2 last night.

While I played bad by my standards in all 3 of those sets,he is also one of those guys that just seems to get things to go his way a LOT,and makes beating a tough player even tougher when he hardly ever seems to have something bad happen.

You are right though,it's kind of a conditioner for playing the big guns that might beat you even if you do play perfect ;).

JC

Coos Cues
I hear you brother. My cue ball always rolls in the side pocket and theirs always hits a titty and changes direction to perfect shape.

This happens always to me. Always.:smile:

JC

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'd suggest since your capable of a 7 pack you get into bigger events,, I've noticed in my time span the higher up the ladder you go the less luck comes into play ,, in analytics intented actions at a higher level produce intended results more often and luck becomes a less of a factor in the results,, AKA here as variables

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'd suggest since your capable of a 7 pack you get into bigger events,, I've noticed in my time span the higher up the ladder you go the less luck comes into play

Tommy, another way to look at this, is because you are almost always the better player, luck (either way) will be less of a factor on your shots.....

The lessor players will always have more "luck" both good and bad, based on the type of shots they are taking.

So its "their" luck that is fluctuating, and not yours.....not sure that makes you feel any better though ;)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I can relate. I have a TON of days where nothing seems to do what I envision. BUT - I don't let it bother me. I picture myself running balls like Efren, SVB, or Mosconi ... but when I get to the table, it doesn't really happen like that. Do your best - and just enjoy the game.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People that tend to shoot harder are going to slop more balls in. But they will also scratch more.

But you can also make your own luck. If you are playing 9 ball, it's after the break and 9 balls are on the table, and you have a chance to luck in a 9-ball combination, then blast away. Get that 9-ball moving. The more rails it hits the better chance it will find a pocket. Just focus on controlling the CB, so you don't scratch.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good friend of mine, when I'm beating him he often says "you are getting all the rolls tonight!" And he believes it. When he's beating me it never occurs to me to say he's getting the rolls.

It's selective memory. You're better off waving your fist at the clouds.

Amateur players miss a lot. And in 9 ball they will often "get lucky" and not leave an easy shot. If it's early in the game, there will be a lot of balls on the table, and they will "get lucky" a whole bunch more.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good rolls you get you don't score as luck . They're skill. The bad rolls you get don't count as bad shots . Their just bad luck.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Can't get a roll blues.

If I beat you with skill, I have a victory. If I beat you with luck, I have a customer.

You figure it out.?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bad luck is real. Regularly, I play with a guy that seems so lucky and it happens time after time. All I can do is watch as his cue ball goes 3 rails and winds up 8" from the OB but straight in. Of course, the next shot only requires a stop shot on this one.
I had a friend while living in Las Vegas that made his living playing Texas Holdem. He used to be able to make a nice living but he told me the tables turned some years before and now he never gets the cards. When he does get the cards, the other players have folded. After a few years of trying to play like that, he had to go get a real job. Here is a world class poker player but his luck just ran out.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad luck is real.

supply-chain-talent5.jpg