Kamui Clear

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I am confused. As a leather worker I can understand the part about leather soaking up glue. But what I don't understand is the fact that since Kamui tips are layered how would the fresh glue affect anything other than the bottom layer? Or is it meant to say that repair people are so sloppy that they are getting glue all up the sides and it is flowing into each layer?

John, as I understand it yes: the glue is only affecting the bottom layer, but if you play your tip down to the bone (as many people do) I imagine you're going to feel that glue-soaked-hardened layer. I personally don't think that it makes much of a difference when the tip is full or even cut down half way.

To me the bigger accomplishment is an idiot-proof install by providing a reliably flat and glue-friendly surface for every tip.

-roger

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I will step in here..
We are not using a "liquid" to adhere the poly to the leather. Keep in mind as you wear down your tip... As the tip gets closer to the ferrule you will be encountering harder leather changing the performance of the tip.... Think about what we accomplished here. You have a longer consistent performing/lasting tip.

And Joe, and Steve welcomed the new Kamui Clear as it allows for less prep time.

As a representative of kamui, maybe it is you who can answer my question. I postet it in another thread, but I copied it here again.

It's going about the layer between the clear layer and the usable leather for playing. Below I name this layer "2nd layer". With all the information I've heard up to now, the only logical function of 2nd layer can be a gluing function.

--> 2nd layer (marked with red arrow) is the glue to connect the clear pad with the leather, right or wrong?

It would be nice to get a short explanation from Kamuitipsdotcom

"On the pictures you can see clearly 3 plastic layers.

- 1st plastic layer: the top one with all the printing

- 2nd plastic layer: the black layer between the leather and the bottom layer

- 3rd plastic layer: the transparent bottom layer

I only assume th 2nd layer beeing a plastic layer, but it strongly looks like. Does anybody know the reason for this 2nd "intermediate" plastic layer??

attachment.php
"

Thanks and my best regards
Michael

Last edited:

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great observation... As you can see, you will be playing with more tip and a great deal more consistency every time a new tip is installed on the cue.
Getting the "same thing" every time a tip is installed on your cue is originally why we got into this business. Consistency for the player.

As a representative of kamui, maybe it is you who can answer my question. I postet it in another thread, but I copied it here again.

It's going about the layer between the clear layer and the usable leather for playing. Below I name this layer "2nd layer". With all the information I've heard up to now, the only logical function of 2nd layer can be a gluing function.

--> 2nd layer is the glue to connect the clear pad with the leather, right or wrong?

It would be nice to get a short explanation from Kamuitipsdotcom

"On the pictures you can see clearly 3 plastic layers.

- 1st plastic layer: the top one with all the printing

- 2nd plastic layer: the black layer between the leather and the bottom layer

- 3rd plastic layer: the transparent bottom layer

I only assume th 2nd layer beeing a plastic layer, but it strongly looks like. Does anybody know the reason for this 2nd "intermediate" plastic layer??

attachment.php
"

Thanks and my best regards
Michaellogical reason logical function of the 2nd layer

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used the blacks for a little while now and they are the tips I prefer. But I am gonna hold off on making an assumption until I try them. So who has 2 mediums for sale? PM me.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Since the plastic adds to the height of the tip, those who prefer the tip to only be a certain height would have a little bit less leather than they are used to. Just a thought.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Since the plastic adds to the height of the tip, those who prefer the tip to only be a certain height would have a little bit less leather than they are used to. Just a thought.

That is a very good point. I still will try it out. I have nothing but good experiences with Kamui tips over the years besides glazing over.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I don't think so. The pad adds to the ferrule rather than the tip this way, players will stick to the same amount of leather they are used to. And the added to the ferrule height is not that big to be concerned about.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I don't think so. The pad adds to the ferrule rather than the tip this way, players will stick to the same amount of leather they are used to. And the added to the ferrule height is not that big to be concerned about.

Aha but maybe they don't want more ferrule j/k. I guess it is a matter of perspective. Now that you mention it I now look at this tip as like having a pre-installed pad. Would probably look cool on a ferruless shaft.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Now that you mention it I now look at this tip as like having a pre-installed pad. Would probably look cool on a ferruless shaft.
that is exactly the way it was born.
I posted in one of those threads about new (for US market) tip links to how it originated
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4104442&postcount=19 You'd have to take a couple more clicks to destination.

You are right is looks pretty gorgeous on pyramid cues which have no ferrules. Though the look is the only special thing about those tips.