Head pool table mechanic wanted

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Mueller Recreational Products is now accepting applications for a head pool table mechanic.

- At least 5 years of experience required
- Wages from $15-$20/hour, depending on skill set. Full benefit package.
- Must relocate to Lincoln, Nebraska. Muellers will compensate for relocation.
- Must be able to be bonded.
- Clean background and drug screen required.
- Applicant must be physically fit and have a clean appearance.
- Must be able to work as a team and possess an exceptional personality and attitude.

email full resume to rory@muellers.com or call/text to 402-326-1227

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mueller Recreational Products is now accepting applications for a head pool table mechanic.

- At least 5 years of experience required
- Wages from $15-$20/hour, depending on skill set. Full benefit package.
- Must relocate to Lincoln, Nebraska. Muellers will compensate for relocation.
- Must be able to be bonded.
- Clean background and drug screen required.
- Applicant must be physically fit and have a clean appearance.
- Must be able to work as a team and possess an exceptional personality and attitude.

email full resume to rory@muellers.com or call/text to 402-326-1227
If it wasn't for that "exeptional personality" requirement i'd be a shoe-in. ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Yeah, that's gonna knock quite a few out of the running. Personally, I would just emphasize expertise with a willingness not to try and piss off the paying customers ;)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ratcues,
Recommend you PM Travis Trotter. He is an expert on just about all facets of the game. I am sure working on tables is also part of his amazing expertise.

r/DCP

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

You must have missed this one.
" Clean background and drug screen required. "
:D
I worked with one dude one time who always called-in sick whenever we told him there was going to be some testing this day.
Even if we were just joking.
Yeah, he had a breath spray in his pocket all the time.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
15 an hour. most places ive been even a house cleaner gets 20 or more and any laborer without benefits gets 25.
the fast food places pay 12 to 15.

i think you need to pay more if someone is going to relocate to nebraska,

if he is really qualified. otherwise you are going to be getting a bunch of duds coming.

and with pot being legal or not enforced all the places i know that require the drug test cant get any employees.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The real question is why would someone who possesses the skill set they're looking to hire, give up being self employed to go to work for an hourly wage with some benefits to go along with the pay, and then have to be expected to punch a time clock 40+ hours a week. And a minimum 5 years experience? I've ran into so many table mechanics with way more time on the job than that who still have no idea what they're doing as 100% of this kind of work is learn as you go. There's NO schools to attend, no online courses....NO educational training, not even from the industry manufacturers of cloth, cushions, slate, or pool tables. It's not like you can hire the top graduating student from the billiards mechanic training institute with a graduates degree!

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It almost seems like a lot to ask for only $15 - $20 hour?
Maybe it's a good start...if the tech proves his worthiness the figures can change. Maybe a young talented person can offer his skills and advance from there. I started working for 'O". Was 18. I never asked for a raise or had to discuss money.
The real question is why would someone who possesses the skill set they're looking to hire, give up being self employed to go to work for an hourly wage with some benefits to go along with the pay
Maybe they were self employed and had enough.
There are talented crafts people out there that have incredible skills but are not good managers and need or would like someone to handle administrative stuff. Maybe they worked for themselves and do not like being a manager...hiring people, doing the payroll, ordering supplies, paying bills, handling recourse. Not everyone is cut out to be self employed. Maybe a highly skilled self employed person needs a constant paycheck. Has family, bills, etc. Working for Muellers could lead to other avenues....learn about cue making, develop retail sales skills. No limits if an employee is dedicated and a serious hard worker. How do any of us get started..especially if no college was in the picture.
I do appreciate Muellers having guidelines instead of hiring anyone that shows up. And at $15-20 an hour...let's call it a start. Nobody begins at the top.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe it's a good start...if the tech proves his worthiness the figures can change. Maybe a young talented person can offer his skills and advance from there. I started working for 'O". Was 18. I never asked for a raise or had to discuss money.

Maybe they were self employed and had enough.
There are talented crafts people out there that have incredible skills but are not good managers and need or would like someone to handle administrative stuff. Maybe they worked for themselves and do not like being a manager...hiring people, doing the payroll, ordering supplies, paying bills, handling recourse. Not everyone is cut out to be self employed. Maybe a highly skilled self employed person needs a constant paycheck. Has family, bills, etc. Working for Muellers could lead to other avenues....learn about cue making, develop retail sales skills. No limits if an employee is dedicated and a serious hard worker. How do any of us get started..especially if no college was in the picture.
I do appreciate Muellers having guidelines instead of hiring anyone that shows up. And at $15-20 an hour...let's call it a start. Nobody begins at the top.
Not knocking your train of thought, but if you seen as much in this line of work that i have from coast to coast, you'd change that thought process in a NY second. I can say without a doubt, the talent pool in this industry is about as shallow as a mud puddle on a flat road. Those who have the skills to support themselves, won't punch a time clock, and those looking for pay security don't have the individual smills to earn it, and there is NO on the job training as there is NO ONE teaching classes anywhere, so any skill level advancements are exclusively by trial and error, and it don't matter how many years a person has been working on pool tables. Even if you're being trained by someone else, you're only going to get as good as the teacher, and what if the teacher don't know how to do the job right???

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Five years experience is required for this position.

Not knocking your train of thought, but if you seen as much in this line of work that i have from coast to coast, you'd change that thought process in a NY second. I can say without a doubt, the talent pool in this industry is about as shallow as a mud puddle on a flat road. Those who have the skills to support themselves, won't punch a time clock, and those looking for pay security don't have the individual smills to earn it, and there is NO on the job training as there is NO ONE teaching classes anywhere, so any skill level advancements are exclusively by trial and error, and it don't matter how many years a person has been working on pool tables. Even if you're being trained by someone else, you're only going to get as good as the teacher, and what if the teacher don't know how to do the job right???

Glen, how about doing classes one month a year?
Let a diploma from RKCU be something to cherish.

You know I joke a lot on AZ, but I'm actually serious about this.
A minimum class of ten should pay the bills.

As.a sometime player and owner, I've seen a lot...:eek:....I like the apprenticeship system
that the British use....I'm not fond of British tables, but their mechanics are worth their salt.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a job listing is open for months it's usually an indication that either the job is unreasonable (not true here) or the pay is too low (certainly true). Not rocket science.

$15/hour for a skilled tradesperson with five years experience is borderline offensive.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Most of my thinking is in Perfect World I guess. Personally i think most mechanics of any trade are hackers. I know there are not too many good pool techs out there. Your post is right on and I wish Muellers good luck because finding good people is problem. Muellers might be better off doing what most of the suppliers do around here and that is sub contract to self employed techs.... but most of these guys are fair at best and that is not good enough. I certainly understand that a 1st class operator would not give up his business to work for a large company unless they made it worth their time. And training someone from
scratch..... when they get their experience and confidence they are leaving. Tough cycle.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skip100;5958209 $15/hour for a skilled tradesperson with five years experience is borderline offensive.[/QUOTE said:
$15 -20/hour for a skilled tradesman is offensive. I guess that's all they value an employee with those qualifications.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
$15 -20/hour for a skilled tradesman is offensive. I guess that's all they value an employee with those qualifications.

I charge $150 labor to recover Valley style pool tables, have more requests for work than I'm willing to take on at my age, takes me 1 1/2 hours to recover the Valley taking my time, that's $75 an hour labor. I charge $1,000 labor to convert a red label Diamond to blue lable, takes 10 hours labor, that's $100 an hour, and i KNOW what I'm doing! Most in this industry charge about the same for half the time spent, which means per hour they make more than i do, don't matter if their work turns out like shit, the price is right, and most customers don't care, or know the difference anyway. So, why would someone that even knows half of what they're doing right, work for an houy wage punching a time clock....thats the question not being addressed!

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RKC, you should earn that. I sure wish you were headed to Chicago. I'd like for you to set up my table.