best cue up to a 1,000 dollars

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can get a 2nd hand Rick Howard or give Rick Howard a call.

IMO again IMO the best cue for the money period.

No I don't have one for sale.

Ken

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are top name cue makers now charging more than $1000 for a plain jane Sneaky or Merry Widow?
I would even think I could get either with 2 shafts for a G.
There are some Barnharts on J&J website now for $850 with 2 shafts. And this is only 1 example.
$1000 will go a long way IMO.
http://jjcue.com/barnhartcues.htm

Last edited:

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest Jeff Olney or Troy Downey for a big pin, flat faced style cue. Best bang for your buck IMO.
You can get a good Olney on the secondary market but, a long wait for a new one.
You can get a New Downey with two shafts through Mueller Recreational Products in about 4 to 6 months. He builds several models under $1k and they are excellent cues. Troy flies way under the radar in the cue maker world.

If you want “Old School” steel jointed, piloted joint type of cue, the best ones I’ve ever laid my hands on are from Garten Bierbower. I believe you can get a player from him for about $1k. Less if you can find a gently used one.

I will agree with olney cues...for 6-700$ secondary market...they play real good. My list for under 1k
1)JOEY cue...joey bautista (joeyincali on azb)
2) keith josey...augusta ga. ...superb cues and he and his wife are really kind, considerate, christian couple who build PLAYERS! Keiths designs aren,t for everybody,but he builds classic designs for peole who want that.
3) Rick Howard or Jeff Olney
4) cory barnhardt

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there probably a little more but i,m not sure...mine is in 95% condition,really great shape,and thats about what they go for on secondary market,give or take .i said 650 because thats what i would take for mine. They REALLY play good. I know you,re a cue guy and just reading your posts,i think you are a lot like me and judge a cue by how they PLAY first and aesthetics second...with joey cues you get it all because he really pairs good hitting woods together and premium shafts. For the money,he just builds top notch players.I have never read a bad review of his cues,only how much people regret getting rid of them lol...

A friend of mine has one and I've hit some balls around with it a couple times, but I never really checked it out. It looked and felt to be good quality and the shaft was nice.

It was a wrapless Merry Widow with some nice wood. I think it may have had antler as a joint, but I can't remember.

I got too many cues as it is to be thinking of getting another one. I have a custom Merry Widow that should be finished sometime real soon that will probably be the last cue I buy. However, I said that about a dozen cues ago. I got a closet full and I never put the up for sale. I use them to play with.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Dont pay that much until you play with at least 20 custom cues, there is many custom cue makers that makes nice cue you just have to find what you like. Guys like Josey, DZ Cues, Wes Hunter, Jensen are some of many great cuemakers.

i got some money freed up , been out of pool for a while . i have 2 80ties meucci , i play with a schon .

what is best cue custom for 1,000 bucks ? i hope to get alot of replies from the pros here . im pretty much a 4 number player. but now im getting my daughter in pool . she loves it . she loves my cue , so i want one for me lol .

ive heard good things about rick howard , but i dont think he is in that price range .

I have not read through the replies, so someone may have already mentioned DZ Custom cues.

If I had a $1,000 to spend on a cue, then I would get a DZ custom cue. I see that a "Basic 4 Point with 4 veneers & leather wrap" starts at a $1,000, so I assume that you could order a basic 4 point with veneers, direct from DZ for a $1,000.

https://www.dzcues.com/prices.html

I have never played with one, but I always imagined that they hit amazing. They sure do look like really great playing cues, and I really like to watch his youtube videos on cue making and repair. They are very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dzcues

Here is one, to give you an idea about how amazing his cues look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fgj5_GO3iQ

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vote goes to a Pechauer Pro which will run somewhere between 5 and 8 hundred. Worth every penny. :grin:
I agree with Pechauer. They will make anything you want. They bought their own timberland. They select their own trees. They built their own mill and process their own lumber. They built their own machine shop and make all joints and screws in-house. Mr. Pechauer inspects and signs every Pro series cue before it goes out. Everyone likes different things and I've never owned a cue from a true custom builder, but I've tried or owned cues from most (not all of course) production companies and for me no one does a better job than Pechauer and at extremely reasonable prices. Great customer service and a lifetime guarantee that includes warping.

sharkem

HavePoolCueWillTravel
Cues under $1000

I would recommend looking into any of the following: Black Creek Cues - Patrick Custom - QB Custom - Terbrock Custom - Treadway Custom. Great product and service.

i got some money freed up , been out of pool for a while . i have 2 80ties meucci , i play with a schon .

what is best cue custom for 1,000 bucks ? i hope to get alot of replies from the pros here . im pretty much a 4 number player. but now im getting my daughter in pool . she loves it . she loves my cue , so i want one for me lol .

ive heard good things about rick howard , but i dont think he is in that price range .

Has anyone recommended Tim Monk cues yet? I am not sure about his prices, or anything else, but he seems really nice, honest, and his cues are really beautiful.

https://www.facebook.com/tim.monk.370

Deni

Registered

Do you believe there is a difference between a $200 cue and a $1000 cue, other than price? The inserts and glued in pieces don't make you a better player. A great player could play with a curtain rod.