Light Building question

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on building a light for a 9 foot table?

I was looking at using 2 2x2 ft led panels for the lightning.

Was wondering where everyone gets the light diffusers from?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you put some space between them I think the ends of the table are going to be in the shadows. I would want eight feet of light hooked up to a dimmer switch. My own nine foot table still has a three light system made for a 7-8 foot home table. If the three lights were spaced at 20" it would be a lot better. Now it's on a 48" bar and that's not enough. I can re-wire it in new tubing but what's the point. These LED's or an eight foot florescent fixture is the way to go. I will be following this thread with a lot of interest.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The outside edges of this 4 light fixture is almost 74'' end to end, with a 36'' gap between bottom of bulb and play surface. No interference with your head racking and none with elevated shooting positions. No light shining in eyes of those seated around table.

Attachments

• P4080013.jpg
    P4080013.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 256

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the lumens are high enough for pool table lighting. You'd be best served getting panels that are in the 9K-10K range (each) with a minimum CRI of 90.

I will look around for panels that meet these requirements. Thanks for the input

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on building a light for a 9 foot table?

I was looking at using 2 2x2 ft led panels for the lightning.

Was wondering where everyone gets the light diffusers from?

Is the ceiling white? You can bounce the light if so. 1 single $40 dimmable CoB LED can light up a room, but 1 of the walls should be a lighter colour. Considering you don't need the entire room, you might not even need that. They typically require active cooling, but for how little light you'll need, you should be able to passively cool it with just a heat sink. They also come in higher CRI than most LED panels. For diffusing, if you really need it, you can choose old stage light diffusers that are about $10.

Watch 2 minutes of this video to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_T-YIvWNmQ&feature=youtu.be&t=675

If you do choose this route you can also buy focus lenses to concentrate the light and use DIY prisms to refract. I'm currently building another one now, literally right now.

2020-04-17-11-48-33.jpg

Last edited:

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 3 - 2'x2' led flat panels for mine. also put a square grid for glare reduction. Very bright, no glare or fall off, and I am using on a 8' table. Plenty of light for a 9' table, you could space the lights out a bit if you want a longer light. If you put a 6" gap between the three pannels, you would have a 7' long light. Mine turned out great, and very inexpensive.
3-2x2 panels- Menards $50ea at 11% off
2-2'x4' light grids-Menards $24 at 11% off
little wood, 1 can spray paint, 4 corner braces
Apx $200 Lights are also dimmable, and adjustable color temp

Attachments

• 131329rrr.jpg
    131329rrr.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used 3 - 2'x2' led flat panels for mine. also put a square grid for glare reduction. Very bright, no glare or fall off, and I am using on a 8' table. Plenty of light for a 9' table, you could space the lights out a bit if you want a longer light. If you put a 6" gap between the three pannels, you would have a 7' long light. Mine turned out great, and very inexpensive.

That is one beautiful room.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That turned out amazing and looks great. Nice room also. Do you remember which panels you went with by chance? I needed to go to Menards this weekend anyway.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you wanting to build a custom light? If not then purchase a surface mount 2×2 or 2×4 fixture, you can find some that are decorative. Those types of fixtures can be mounted on the ceiling and attached together as well, would just need a chase nipple from one fixture to the next fixture.

Recessed fixtures will give a nice clean look but requires a little more work.
5000 lumens or more should be sufficient. I have 4 recessed lights ~6000 lumens total. More than billiard lights at most rooms.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank's for the comments. Had a box still laying around.

Attachments

• light box label.jpg
    light box label.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 150

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could you post a pic of the light at 3000k and at 1/2 intensity, or is that set on the back panel?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depends where your table is. unfinished basement, garage etc. I would get two 2'x4' LED panels, attache to ceiling end to end centered over table. Lots of great light. That's what I did and am very happy.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No sorry, would be too much work now to change.On the back of ea flat panel is a shallow elec. box, that inside is a switch to set the color balance and hook up the wire to wire them together. I would have to get up over the top of the table, take the box covers off and switch it. Take my word for it, the low setting was really yellow, and not yellow like a light bulb, and the high setting was really blue, tried them, but left it in the middle where they came. The flat panels are about a 1/4" thick with a small elec box about 1 1/4" high. Didn't put a dimmer on, light was great as it was.

Last edited: