2019 World 14.1 Tournament

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, I've never been one to care much for what goes on from the promoters side of things, but this is beyond silly. I'll give credit to the players showing up because they obviously just want the opportunity to play their favorite game, but Charlie Williams obviously must have a gigantic ego if he cannot see all the wrong stuff he has been doing with this tournament over the years. I don't know the guy, but no wonder some people say the things they say about him.

Just look at the idiotic way they post on their 14.1 facebook page.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who all is going to attend this big World Championship?

Im sure you realize its not a real world championship. Charlie can not get sanctioned any event he holds to be official. He uses the title world tournament instead to make it look like a world championship which it is NOT.
Charlie does not draw any names for any of the round robin brackets. Charlie places the players exactly how he wants to so that the players he puts in the tournament gets the easiest matches possible to take almost zero chances to lose and thus for advances into the money rounds.
Then comes the final 16 eliminations and there is no draw or format for this and again he places the match ups exactly how he wants to get the best chances for his players to cash the most. I know this personally from playing in the event several years and asking him and he makes up stories.
Then you have the issue about Charlie having extra keys to hotel rooms that he keeps so he can sneak into the girls rooms and make advances on them while they are sleeping. This is old news but very true. It would be so nice to get an honest promoter to take over the event and get that world championship trophy away from Charlie.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sure you realize its not a real world championship. Charlie can not get sanctioned any event he holds to be official. He uses the title world tournament instead to make it look like a world championship which it is NOT.
Charlie does not draw any names for any of the round robin brackets. Charlie places the players exactly how he wants to so that the players he puts in the tournament gets the easiest matches possible to take almost zero chances to lose and thus for advances into the money rounds.
Then comes the final 16 eliminations and there is no draw or format for this and again he places the match ups exactly how he wants to get the best chances for his players to cash the most. I know this personally from playing in the event several years and asking him and he makes up stories.
Then you have the issue about Charlie having extra keys to hotel rooms that he keeps so he can sneak into the girls rooms and make advances on them while they are sleeping. This is old news but very true. It would be so nice to get an honest promoter to take over the event and get that world championship trophy away from Charlie.

Yes, I forgot the sarcastic emoji at the end of my post. I assumed it was a given.

With who they have revealed so far that are attending this should be a two day event.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe not. Audiovideoweb is still showing it at $85 -- the rate that was going to end on the 17th and then was going to end on the 19th.

The early-bird special has ended. It is now $95 for the full event, including warm-ups. For the actual 6-day event, it is $15 per day.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Charlie places the players exactly how he wants to so that the players he puts in the tournament gets the easiest matches possible to take almost zero chances to lose and thus for advances into the money rounds.
Then comes the final 16 eliminations and there is no draw or format for this and again he places the match ups exactly how he wants to get the best chances for his players to cash the most. I know this personally from playing in the event several years and asking him and he makes up stories. ...

From what I have seen in recent years, the skill levels are well distributed among the initial groups, the placement in the double-elimination portion is driven by performance in the groups, and the placement in the final single-elimination portion is also rational.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like Schmidt defeated Storm in the finals of the first warm-up event (Saturday).

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
From what I have seen in recent years, the skill levels are well distributed among the initial groups, the placement in the double-elimination portion is driven by performance in the groups, and the placement in the final single-elimination portion is also rational.

It’s ok that you don’t understand so I will spend a minute to explain it.
They are mostly all level of talented players.Charlie has his horses he invested in and these players will never play each other unless it’s the final few players. Do you think you will see Thorsten and Schmidt play each other in the same bracket?
There is no way they will play each other unless it’s the finals. Does anyone think the brackets are drawn at random really?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Do you think you will see Thorsten and Schmidt play each other in the same bracket?
There is no way they will play each other unless it’s the finals. ...

2012 -- Hohmann and Schmidt were in the same half of the final bracket. Schmidt beat Hohmann in the round of 8 (quarterfinals).

2013 -- They were in the same half of the final bracket. Hohmann beat Schmidt in the semifinals.

2017 -- They were in the same half of the final bracket, but did not play each other.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
2012 -- Hohmann and Schmidt were in the same half of the final bracket. Schmidt beat Hohmann in the round of 8 (quarterfinals).

2013 -- They were in the same half of the final bracket. Hohmann beat Schmidt in the semifinals.

2017 -- They were in the same half of the final bracket, but did not play each other.

So you saying you 100% that all names are picked at random for all brackets?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like they have 29 players now (still looking for a 30th?), in the following groups for the round-robin portion.

1. Thorsten Hohmann
2. Nathan Rose
3. Billy Burke
4. Jay Stock
5. Joe Santora
6. Dominic Dunn

1. John Schmidt
2. Bobby Hunter
3. Mike Delawder
4. Greg Hogue
5. Tom Karabotsos
6. Rachel Manning

1. Shane Van Boening
2. Max Eberle
3. Dave Grossman
5. Mark Snodgrass
6. Mike Lear

1. Tom Storm
2. Corey Deuel
3. Robert Madenjian
4. Richard Ross
5. Blaine Barcus
6. Nick Osborne

1. Johnny Archer
2. Tommy Kennedy
3. Holger Vier
4. Sam Staats
5. Joseph Azato
6. Kyle Salati

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like they have 29 players now (still looking for a 30th?), in the following groups for the round-robin portion.

1. Thorsten Hohmann
2. Nathan Rose
3. Billy Burke
4. Jay Stock
5. Joe Santora
6. Dominic Dunn

1. John Schmidt
2. Bobby Hunter
3. Mike Delawder
4. Greg Hogue
5. Tom Karabotsos
6. Rachel Manning

1. Shane Van Boening
2. Max Eberle
3. Dave Grossman
5. Mark Snodgrass
6. Mike Lear

1. Tom Storm
2. Corey Deuel
3. Robert Madenjian
4. Richard Ross
5. Blaine Barcus
6. Nick Osborne

1. Johnny Archer
2. Tommy Kennedy
3. Holger Vier
4. Sam Staats
5. Joseph Azato
6. Kyle Salati

Thanks. They had advertised that Pagulayan, Eckert, and Rodney Morris were going to attend. Guess not. Pretty hard by most of their childish, unprofessional, intentionally deceptive posts on Facebook to tell who is actually going to attend. Looks like only SVB came in from the Vegas event.

I think I will go over there Thursday afternoon and see whats what. With that list there really isn't any reason to waste my time until the semi's.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. They had advertised that Pagulayan, Eckert, and Rodney Morris were going to attend. Guess not. Pretty hard by most of their childish, unprofessional, intentionally deceptive posts on Facebook to tell who is actually going to attend. Looks like only SVB came in from the Vegas event.

I think I will go over there Thursday afternoon and see whats what. With that list there really isn't any reason to waste my time until the semi's.

Looks like it’s a 3 horse race certainly not a random draw.Wonder how he made the brackets.lol.
Anyways it’s not a World Championship anyways.
Peter Burrows American 14.1 had a much more talented field of players.
This is basically a weekend tourney with Charlie squeezing a dollar from every direction he can.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez...better than nothing right?

But that is a bit of a cliche, right?

There are literally only three people with a chance of winning this, Hohman, Schmidt, or SVB. Then there are three other pros, Archer, Deuel, and Eberle. That's it, plus a couple of semi retired old pros and short stops/regional guys.

I couldn't imagine being a pro and going to this event and sitting here for a week for what should be a 2 day tournament given that player list.

This is no Championship. The guy ought to just to cancel the event if he can't get a paid set of committed pros by a certain drop date.

The streaming charge is just an insulting (and clueless) money grab given the absurdity of the round robins, etc. I know I'll go over there Thursday night and some Dragon clown will try to harass me to buy an overpriced ticket to watch one round and have some crappy chair on the sideline. I probably won't go back for Friday & Saturday if that is the case.