Two eras ago, the pros, which tip did they use?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are fortunate to have layered tips, and many companies that create tips that are far superior to the old ones, which made me think last night as I read a Luther Lassiter article, they seem to be very confident in their game, even though they had lesser level equipment, so I thought the cue is the same, however their shafts are just maple but that's ok, but what type of tips do they use, it must be bad compared to nowadays manufacturers on the tip department.

So let's see if someone who witnessed their era's, please let us know.

What brand of tips do these pro's back in the days use?

Willie Mosconi
Luther Lassiter
Ralph Greenleaf
Rudolf Wanderone
Irving Crane

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
We are fortunate to have layered tips, and many companies that create tips that are far superior to the old ones, which made me think last night as I read a Luther Lassiter article, they seem to be very confident in their game, even though they had lesser level equipment, so I thought the cue is the same, however their shafts are just maple but that's ok, but what type of tips do they use, it must be bad compared to nowadays manufacturers on the tip department.

So let's see if someone who witnessed their era's, please let us know.

What brand of tips do these pro's back in the days use?

Willie Mosconi
Luther Lassiter
Ralph Greenleaf
Rudolf Wanderone
Irving Crane

I would say non layered, something simple like a LePro, or Water Buffalo. Don't think layer Tip were around befor the 80's, that 1980's.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
In the old days, they're were a few.

Champion and Crown, made by a guy in France.
When Tweeten came around, they made Le Pro and Elk Master. Blue Diamond was the same as Elk Master.

All the best,
WW

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Champions were made from water-buffalo not calf skin. Almost every single-layer tip is made from wb including ElkMaster.

Fact check

Attachments

• images (20).jpg
    images (20).jpg
    12 KB · Views: 877

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
In the old days, they're were a few.

Champion and Crown, made by a guy in France.
When Tweeten came around, they made Le Pro and Elk Master. Blue Diamond was the same as Elk Master.

All the best,
WW

The guy in France.....Chandivert.
Also had a castle and winery at some point.

Will Prout

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
tips are no better now than back when those guys played. if anything layered tips are worse. and the grade of tips is much more inconsistent.