Spot Shot Aiming Methods

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was mainly referring to referencing the cb and ob. Both balls are plainly visible, and from there I reference the ob itself for aiming. Sure, the end result puts the aim line through the ghostball, but I am not referencing the ghostball because It's not something that I can really see.

... .....
Agree

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Regardless of Poolology or fractional aiming, it's not a bad idea to gather as much visual info as you can for every shot. This helps build shot recognition. Look at the line from cb center to ob center. Look at the line from the ob to the pocket. Then use whatever aiming method you would normally use. The extra visual information gets tagged to this certain shot. The more tags you can attach to any given shot the more likely your mind is going to recall or recognize that shot every time you see it.
I like the "tags" concept - you could think of systems as the organized creation/recognition and use of tags.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...we take time to get a better look, or a different perspective, of a key shot or tough shot, to help ensure we make it, so why not put that extra effort on every shot?
An old pool adage: pros shoot every shot like it's the match shot.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
By the way, VP4 models the shot exactly as predicted - 3° of throw to center pocket.

pj
chgo

Half Ball Spot Shot - Easy Setup.jpg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
By the way, VP4 models the shot exactly as predicted - 3° of throw to center pocket.

pj
chgo

View attachment 544371

So the next time you find yourself in a spot shot competition, this cb location should give you the best chance of nailing as many as possible. If your opponent is using the same cb position then the winner will end up being the player with the most consistent cue delivery/stroke.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't do it for every shot either. But Spider made a good point not too long ago...something about treating every shot with the same focus or purpose. I like this mentality. I mean, we take time to get a better look, or a different perspective, of a key shot or tough shot, to help ensure we make it, so why not put that extra effort on every shot?

Seriously, we tend to miss the easier shots, at least I do. I bear down on tough shots, give them extra attention, extra focus, and nail them. Then a few shots later, or a few games later, I miss a shot that was so simple I didn't bother giving it much attention or focus. So I am working on developing discipline, the discipline to treat every shot with equal respect. I have some very good nights where I never miss a shot. I think if I had the discipline to treat ever shot like a key shot I'd have morenof these nights.

I've noticed over the years that the pro's just looked more careful about everything. I used to think it was just because they were in competition and were being more careful than they normally are. Now I realize that anybody can wing it and knock down a bunch of shots with speed, but that's not the way to win in the long run.

Just the other day I started to play more deliberately, slowing everything down. Someone mentioned the "quiet eye" needing two seconds. I ran about 50 balls right off the bat. For me, I'm not thinking so much in terms of paying more or less attention to easy or hard shots. I'm trying to simply make my normal PSR the same on all shots, which means deliberate, relaxed, quiet.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I've noticed over the years that the pro's just looked more careful about everything. I used to think it was just because they were in competition and were being more careful than they normally are. Now I realize that anybody can wing it and knock down a bunch of shots with speed, but that's not the way to win in the long run.

Just the other day I started to play more deliberately, slowing everything down. Someone mentioned the "quiet eye" needing two seconds. I ran about 50 balls right off the bat. For me, I'm not thinking so much in terms of paying more or less attention to easy or hard shots. I'm trying to simply make my normal PSR the same on all shots, which means deliberate, relaxed, quiet.

In bold .... I believe it is most important -- give every shot the same deliberate attention. A lot of players, including myself, tend to rush certain shots because they feel so natural, automatic, and we never consider the possibility of missing one of those typed of shots. But rushing into the shot, bypassing some or all of the psr, sure does increase the likelihood of missing. It takes discipline to build and maintain a consistent psr. And it takes a lot of table time.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What ruined it is not my comment but some people's hair trigger reaction to everything. What I said about Stan is true. He is mistaken that there is no way to KNOW the fractional hit on the ball. Poolology was out by then, I think, and he knew about it early on. What's the big deal? Some of you guys think Stan is some kind of a God who can never be in error or slip up on something.

It would really be refreshing, and would certainly lower the temperature in this forum, if someone could just say, "Yeah, maybe Stan was forgetting about that." I'd even settle for a well reasoned disagreement and/or counterpoint. Instead, there is a total whitewashing of the subject in favor of a nice dose of personal attacks. I'm not attacking Stan. I'm saying he is in error. Oh, the horror!!!

If you don't like my comment, simply ignore it and that will be that.

I can't ever remember one of the Anti-CTE gang members admitting to an error after attacking any facet of CTE in my 14 years of being on this forum.

What makes it even worse is coming from a position of ignorance by never knowing the intricacies of the system because they've never studied, learned or used it. So you don't know what is correct and what is an error on your part.

It started that way with Hal and has gone on to this day.

You have a pool table at home. How about setting up various shots and verbalizing exactly what you're seeing and doing on those shots. If it's on the money with all of it, then we can't say you're wrong.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Even Stan has admitted to the fact that a player must ensure, once they are in full stance, that their cue is in fact aligned to ccb. He said something like any final fine adjustment to ccb is no different than the adjustment one would normally use on any straight in shot. I can probably find that video, but I don't want to.

I'm just pointing out that when we address the cb we do whatever we have to do to ensure everything looks and feels right. We can call this fine tuning, adjusting, doublechecking, or whatever, but in the end it all comes down to one thing: Does it feel good. Do I feel like I am dead on line here, or does something feel wrong because it looks wrong? Usually, we pull the trigger anyway. If it looks wrong, it's because somewhere deep in your head your brain is sending a message, a "feeling" that something is off, because what you're seeing is either in conflict with or not registering with any knowledge you already have in storage. Either way, it calls for a restart. Stand up and look at the shot again, maybe pull another aiming tool out of the bag, like actually looking at the contact point.

Brian, you're exactly right in your first paragraph.

All shots in CTE are just like aligning to a line that is known such as a perfectly set up zero angle shot. The center for zero angle shots is known and just because a center to center line is known does not mean that a player’s bridge V can follow the eyes exactly to that line. The bridge V slides around until it is on that objective line.

A perfectly set up zero angle shot is objective for all systems, but that is where it stops, with the exception of CTE. In CTE all shots have a known center line, a line that is not finished off with feel. This is at the heart of the 22 year war.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, you're exactly right in your first paragraph.

All shots in CTE are just like aligning to a line that is known such as a perfectly set up zero angle shot. The center for zero angle shots is known and just because a center to center line is known does not mean that a player’s bridge V can follow the eyes exactly to that line. The bridge V slides around until it is on that objective line.

A perfectly set up zero angle shot is objective for all systems, but that is where it stops, with the exception of CTE. In CTE all shots have a known center line, a line that is not finished off with feel. This is at the heart of the 22 year war.

This is the crux of why I gave up on defending CTE users. You have no way of knowing it isn't finished off with feel, because you don't understand how our subconscious works.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is the crux of why I gave up on defending CTE users. You have no way of knowing it isn't finished off with feel, because you don't understand how our subconscious works.

Maybe you shouldn't have had your subconscious mind in conflict with the conscious mind and studied the videos more and harder instead of throwing in the towel.

With your level of play, you should have moved your chips all in.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How can you finish off with feel if you don't see the OB while bending down?

Isn't this video one of the answers to knowing that Stan didn't finish them off with feel, because I don't see how would that be possible, if you're gonna make corrections to the shotline that you got while standing you gotta make them while bending down, and to make them you have to see the OB and the pocket, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l0fAwmeOq8

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you shouldn't have had your subconscious mind in conflict with the conscious mind and studied the videos more and harder instead of throwing in the towel.

With your level of play, you should have moved your chips all in.

How many big events or money matches have you won with CTE?

Actually, forget the personal attacks for a moment.

How many big events or money matches have been won by anyone that claims to be a CTE user? Before you go and post your list of names again, might I remind you the only person on your list that has any relevancy in professional pool is Tyler Styer. Even then he's only had one big win, and has a 1-3 record in singles at the Mosconi Cup.

I suppose you could keep hanging on to that time Landon beat Earl 7 years ago.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What you should be focusing on is yourself, ONLY.

What do the numbers 57-37 mean to you and where it's located among other numbers?

Does it give any indication of what you know (which could be good, could be wrong, or terribly deficient)

Does it give any indication of how it's put into action or play along with positive/negative results? I think 57-37 tells the tale.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
How can you finish off with feel if you don't see the OB while bending down?

Isn't this video one of the answers to knowing that Stan didn't finish them off with feel, because I don't see how would that be possible, if you're gonna make corrections to the shotline that you got while standing you gotta make them while bending down, and to make them you have to see the OB and the pocket, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l0fAwmeOq8

The "feel" occurs at the cb. In other words, Stan's stroke must be perfectly aligned to the perception before sweeping or pivoting to ccb. The final alignment to ccb stems from a perfect offset sweep or pivot. It takes practice to get good at it because you must learn how it feels, how your stroke alignment feels in accordance with what you are looking at.

With other types of aiming, the focus is on a line from the cb to the ob, and one must be able to "feel" when they are perfectly on that line. You see the line from a standing position, but it usually requires a little tweaking once you're down on the cb in full stance. It takes practice to develop a good feel for coming down on that line. Once down you must ensure everything still feels right in accordance with what you are seeing.

In this video Stan explains how it applies to CTE. The final ccb alignment is not tweaked, but one must ensure that the cue is perfectly aligned, correct bridge V placement, etc... with the perception before sweeping or pivoting to ccb. This "tweaking", or whatever we want to call it, is feel. In other words, with traditional aiming a player must be able to feel/recognize when their body/stroke is aligned properly in accordance to what they are seeing. With CTE the same feel/recognition is required before sweeping/pivoting to that final ccb. It's no jab at the system or to Stan. It's just the reality of how we ensure our body is positioned correctly for a physical task that is orchestrated by our vision. The more you do it the better you get at it. Whether it's CTE or some traditional aiming method, practice and experience helps reduce the tweaking that he's talking about. Eventually you find yourself feeling spot on the money as soon as you drop down on the shot. Other times you find yourself needing to tweak a little until everything clicks.

https://youtu.be/VyCSgUtLKdk?t=273s

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You have no way of knowing it isn't finished off with feel, because you don't understand how our subconscious works.
It's even more obvious than that - there's no possible way to design a system that can "take you to" every needed cut angle (even accounting for pocket slop) that wouldn't be too detailed and complex to use at the table.

What Stan and CTE Defenders claim CTE does (with its mystical "connection to 2:1 table geometry") is simply not possible. The "debate" comes from their inability to understand that - and/or their unwillingness to accept it.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's even more obvious than that - there's no possible way to design a system that can "take you to" every needed cut angle (even accounting for pocket slop) that wouldn't be too detailed and complex to use at the table.

We don't even need to go into CTE. Joe Tucker's Contact Point Aiming system by the numbers will do it from 0-90 degrees. (or 88) If not, why not? It isn't detailed or complex at all. Quite simple if practiced and can identify the proper numbers. But I'm sure, you as the most brilliant man in pool, can find fault and weaknesses with it. But nothing that good ol' FEEL can't correct when applied by the computer of the brain.

What Stan and CTE Defenders claim CTE does (with its mystical "connection to 2:1 table geometry") is simply not possible. The "debate" comes from their inability to understand that - and/or their unwillingness to accept it.

pj
chgo

All of the above from "MR. VIRTUAL POOL" himself. Far more time on the computer than on a table. Please post another one of those exciting 3D layouts.

Last edited: