Does anyone have Ronnie Allen on video playing

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really know how Ronnie,Keith,Eddie Taylor would match up with todays players

Billy Incardone has told me the guys like Efren could givethem weight.

But this doesn't mean that they were not good players

For example if anyone would give nick Varner 9 to 6 I would bet a few thousand today and this is an older Nick Varner. If he were young I would bet even

and i would certainly take Mosconi over anybody at 14;1,anybody

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't really know how Ronnie,Keith,Eddie Taylor would match up with todays players

For example if anyone would give nick Varner 9 to 6 I would bet a few thousand today and this is an older Nick Varner. If he were young I would bet even

I don’t agree with Billy...it’s the problem of dealing with different eras....
...a lot of the shots that players learn early today were invented by Ronnie Allen...
..so if he was in his prime today, he would invent some more.

,,,and I was in awe of his one-hand game...watched him give Harry the Horse one hole
at golf on a 5x10 snooker table at the old room at Hollywood and Western...robbed him.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Was Jack Cooney a top player in his hey day. I never saw him ever. Did he need a spot from the best?

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member

If you believe Alex couldn't give Varner 9/6 you have straight up lost it, even his wedge game doesnt stand the test of time, no disrespect to a former champion either.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was Jack Cooney a top player in his hey day. I never saw him ever. Did he need a spot from the best?

"I read some where-
The bigger the money in the game-
THE BETTER JACK COONEY WOULD PLAY"

I sure would lie to see some of that play :smile:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
No human is going to give Nick 9/6, not even Alex.

Nick adapts and doesn't have to play wedge to win a game.
Do you think that Alex beats nick banking too?

If you believe Alex couldn't give Varner 9/6 you have straight up lost it, even his wedge game doesnt stand the test of time, no disrespect to a former champion either.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No human is going to give Nick 9/6, not even Alex.

Nick adapts and doesn't have to play wedge to win a game.
Do you think that Alex beats nick banking too?

Gotta feeling that Alex might not want to gamble with Nick....
...it’s an Old Lion-Young Lion thing...Alex would treat Nick with deference.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t agree with Billy...it’s the problem of dealing with different eras....
...a lot of the shots that players learn early today were invented by Ronnie Allen...
..so if he was in his prime today, he would invent some more.

,,,and I was in awe of his one-hand game...watched him give Harry the Horse one hole
at golf on a 5x10 snooker table at the old room at Hollywood and Western...robbed him.

Exactly right!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NO PUTTER?

I tookRonnie to a little shop in LA owned by an Indian from Oklahoma,Herb Greenhaw and bought him a BULLSEYE PUTTER

Acushnet Bullseye,Titleist

Ronnie was a very good putter as you might expect

As deadly a hustler as there ever was,Ronnie seemed to be
a little Boy in an old mans body

He played my son pool on our home table,jeremy got a very easy lay out with all the balls easy and straight in,when he got ready to shoot the 8 ball,Ronnie dropped his stick on the hardwood floor to shark Jeremy

My wife ,daughter,myself and jeremy broke out laughing,June said "Ronnie ,you are a hustler"

She didn't realize how right she was, I always kept the real life hidden,I didn't want my kids involved
in anything like the life.

I guess you might call me a hypocrit, I confess

I would call that a good dad.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few more photos of Ronnie Allen, but they are on my old computer, which will take time to find them.

That said, I found this funny photo I photo-shopped one Christmas. See if you can name all the elves. :grin:

Attachments

• ratpack.jpg
    ratpack.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 243

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute shot of Keith and Ronnie on Tony's boat in Vegas.

Attachments

• Keith and Ronnie Allen.jpg
    Keith and Ronnie Allen.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 237

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a few more photos of Ronnie Allen, but they are on my old computer, which will take time to find them.

That said, I found this funny photo I photo-shopped one Christmas. See if you can name all the elves. :grin:

Ronnie/mataya? / jay helfert / keith
My best guess
Icbw

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a cute shot of Keith and Ronnie on Tony's boat in Vegas.

Ronnie was an avid fisherman. One time after he made a big score in Detroit he bought this cool fishing boat and station wagon to tow it. My wife and I and our oldest daughter met Ronnie and Faye and his oldest son Ronnie Jr. at Lake Havasu for a fishing weekend. Ron Jr. and Heather hit it off (there were pre-teens then) and Julie (my wife) and Faye did all the cooking and we camped at the beach in tents Ronnie had. Ronnie took me out on the boat and fish were literally jumping out of the water! The problem was Lake Havasu was over run with Carp and they were bad eating. We spent the day traveling all over the lake trying to catch bass and came back empty. Ronnie must have tried ten different lures to no avail.

After one night sleeping in a tent on the beach my wife and I opted for a motel room the second night. We were such pansies. I had bought a new 50 power telescope and I could see all the way across the lake (a few miles) and If I held it steady could see the people walking on the other side of the lake. That was my idea of fun. I didn't go out on the boat the second day and Ronnie actually caught some fish. Faye thought maybe he bought them at the seafood market and just claimed to have caught them. Either way we cooked them and had a fish fry on the beach that evening. Yum, Yum!

P.S. One other tidbit. The city of Lake Havasu bought the original London Bridge and had it shipped there and rebuilt as a promotional gimmick. As far as I know the London Bridge is still there to this day! I just checked and it was Robert McColloch, the founder of Lake Havasu City who bought the bridge and had it shipped over, and then rebuilt. It cost him like ten million in the late 60's to do this. People do some crazy things!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

You sent me that card. Wasn't there also a video of us all dancing?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
i know what fats won off richie and it wasnt no 6 figures. and those spots are about right what fats played with and needed. but he could easily beat richie even one pocket any day of the year. so could any top one pocket player.
fats played games he could win at thats why he wasnt liked so much as he vacuumed up the money from the good players that were stupid enough to think they had a shot at the big cash.

Fatty played his best, 1940's till early 50's.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ra

Here is a pic of me and RA at the horse racing satellite spot in Sacramento. As good as Ronnie was getting the money at pool, he was an awful horse handicapper, but nobody loved playing them more than he did.

Attachments

• John RA.JPG
    John RA.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 204

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
In the 60's, he dressed sharp and he talked sharp, like a pro golfer. He did enjoy the links by Janscos Showbar in S. IL. Last time I saw em was in OH, he was wanting to create/sell CD's of his lifes stories.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a pic of me and RA at the horse racing satellite spot in Sacramento. As good as Ronnie was getting the money at pool, he was an awful horse handicapper, but nobody loved playing them more than he did.

Him and Keith both. :p