Leon Sly - Ebony & Tulipwood Player

Wylie

I like beer!
Silver Member
Just got this last week. I believe it is the first cue out of his new exotic wood line. It is Ebony Butt and Forearm with a beautiful Tulipwood handle. The woods are just amazing. I gotta tell ya, these shafts are the smoothest I've ever felt.

Specifications:

- Weight: 19.5 ounces
- Shaft 1: 13mm, Juma ferrule, Sniper tip
- Shaft 2: 12.75mm, Juma ferrule, Sniper tip
- Joint: Brass pin 3/8x10, wood to wood joint
- Black phenolic joint collars
- Beautiful ringwork at A/B/C/D/E of tulipwood and ebony dashes with veneer rings
- Solid black ebony forearm (cored)
- Beautiful highly grained handle of cored tulipwood
- Solid black ebony butt sleeve
- Black phenolic butt cap with trademark "LS" logo

After hitting it some this past weekend, I am fully impressed and happy with my decision to purchase a cue from Leon. He was a pleasure to talk to and do business with. The hit on this cue is so solid. It is a nice stiff hit, just like I asked for. I absolutely love it! I have found myself a very solid player for many years to come! Thanks again Leon and keep up the great work!

WholeCue.jpg

Joint.jpg

Pin.jpg

Handle.jpg

Butt.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I like tulipwood

I agree this is a great looking cue. Thanks for posting the pictures as review of this beauty.

Kevin

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
Kyle, Thanks Again For The Review On The Cue, I Can Say You Was A Great Customer To Deal With Thanks Sly.

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Got to agree great looking cue ... When we were posting these cues in production I got alot of pm's on them and alot of people wanted to see the finished product when they were complete, Alot of intrest and lot of compliments but one of the things that kept popping up was the cored versus not cored issue... Sly told me coring these cues is the best thing for them as they it will add strength and help to keep these high end woods from moving and warping if taken care of properly ..His concern was to build a good hitting cue that will hold up for a long time for his valued customers... Kyle you said you love the hit of the cue ... Can you tell a difference in the cored cue or does it still have that great hit to it ... When I talked to Sly he was very confident that he could core these cues and if you did not know it was cored you would never know the difference in the hit. I play with a Sly and have several on order it is all I want to shoot with on a regualr basis ... I agree these are some of the smoothest shafts I have ever seen... I had to ask the question on the hit of Sly's cored cues as some people seemed to think it was a issue ... As Sly said he is the cue maker and this is his line and I'm very confident Sly can do just as he says he can do...

Some of these are starting to roll out of Sly's shop... Yours was the first I think Bama Joe got the secoond one ...Mine will be along shortly Sly said it will not be long and I'm kind of looking for it about the middle of September when Sly comes down to Georgia ... Sly is right on time and and doing great work ... I also have a second exotic coming it will be Ebony with a Aboynia Burl handle .... As I said, to me there is nothing better then a Cue made by Leon Sly ... These will certainly be my players for a long time to come ... I'm also expecting a nice break cue when Sly comes down in September will post pics and reviews of each ... Plus I have a few other customs coming in soon from other cue makers ... I promise reviews on all of them ... Sly ... Doug Patrick , Jimmy Lee and BHQ...

I know you got to be happy with that new player ... The Sly Master knows what he is doing and how to build a great player ... To me he is greatly under rated but I don't think that will be for long ... I know I speak highly of his cues I can't help it they are a great cue at a great price ... Sometimes I wonder what I'm doing as if I kept quiet I could order a whole lot more cues from Sly as he would have more time on his hands ...lol... But these cues are to good to be quiet about ... As you found out my friend ... Good Luck with your new Sly ...

Last edited:

Wylie

I like beer!
Silver Member
If I didn't know up front that this cue was cored, I probably never would have known. The hit is great. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Ebony and Amboyna. That was my original plan until I saw the way the Ebony and TUlipwood looked together. I think yours will look great too! I would deffinitley have Leon build me another cue down the road!

Jiayi345

Cajun Asian.
Silver Member
Nice review and the pictures look great. That is definitely my kind of cue. Thanks for sharing.

-Joey

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does LS have a website? I couldn't find one. Also - what is the difference btw a cored and uncored butt?

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
Dawgie said:
Does LS have a website? I couldn't find one. Also - what is the difference btw a cored and uncored butt?
one has'a a had a foregin material, generally p/h or a laminate, insertterd filling the middle to give it strangeth,lighten it in some cases, give it stabilty,an make the hit consistent, cuts wwn an warpage, and buiolds in natural resistance to changes

uncored, doesnt.