JossMezz WD700 combi plus a little flashback

quanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, first of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's been helpful regarding my question bout the Mezz WD700 shaft.
After a few days of testing my friend's WD, I decided to buy one.
After a few hours of play it really brings back my game back. But I still hesitant bout it, I was afraid it's just a "honeymoon period". Now after a couple of weeks of great playing (to my standard), I guess it's safe to say I've found my magic WanD

Here's a little history:
I started with a players cue with std shaft and I turned down the shaft to 12.75 (predator wannabe :p ). The shaft turned down and the whippy character of the shaft resulting a low deflection shaft which I don't realize untill 3 years of playing.
After 2 years of using the players shaft I decided to gives 314-2 a try. The shaft is stiffer but it's about the same deflection rate. It gives me more power therefore less effort to travel around table, it also improve my long range shooting.
About one year later using 314, a friend of mine (cue dealer) brought some cue for sale to show it to some potential customer, I look around and totally attracted to one of the Joss cue (JSM-50), it's the look that catched me that time. After 2 two night thinking I decided to go for it as I can't get it out of my head, I'm more into design first, quality later guy, at that time I thought, I'll be able to adjust as I adjust to 314 shaft.
From there on, my disastrous play begin. I like the solid hit but I can't play the same level I was, I was forced to use less english because more english means greater compesation needed and I'd learnt and been using LD shaft since I learn to play (about 3 years), when I go back testing my Players shaft I realized it has a LD characteristic. But I still didn't give up yet. I figure the 314-2 is really forgiving shaft, when my stroke is off, the ball still go in. With Joss shaft I got to be perfect with my stroke and it brought up a lot of error on my stroke, stance and grip, plus it has a nice feedback due to solid shaft. So I really work on my fundamental (inc video recording my form) until I found the correct form (no chicken wing, smoother release and no jabbing). But after adjusting bout 1 year, due to low hours of practicing I still find it's difficult to adjust english aiming, the muscle memory just weren't there. At first I still hesitant to leave the Joss coz I really like the solid hit, so I begin searching for a LD shaft that have a solid hit and not as stiff as 314-2.
After reading couple of thread regarding this issue and after a few days of test hit, here I am :smile:
I have no trouble at all adjusting to it, it's like a second nature to me, my aiming and stroke just fall in perfectly.
For a comparison I avg 5-6 ball playing 9-ball when using 314-2, 4-5 balls when using Joss shaft, and after fundamental fixing plus WD700 I'm now 6-7 balls avg.

Here's my review:
WD700 is a one piece wood shaft with some tech in it, it's a low deflection shaft but slightly higher than 314-2. Due to it's one piece contruction it still has some standard shaft character, whippier than 314. With WD700 I got a LD shaft with a solid feedback, although I still think my Joss shaft has a more solid hit compare to WD700.

I'm not saying that WD700 is the superior shaft for everyone, it fits me well due to my playing history, everyone is unique. I guess it's a journey to find your magic WanD :wink:

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
quanz said:
Here's my review:
WD700 is a one piece wood shaft with some tech in it, it's a low deflection shaft but slightly higher than 314-2. Due to it's one piece contruction it still has some standard shaft character, whippier than 314.

I got a Mezz with WD700 and Moori medium tip it came with. I really like WD700 shaft. It's good combination of high tech/lowER deflection and nice hard maple. I rarely miss with the cue due to deflection with this cue ... I often miss with the cue due to my crappy technique/stroke ... sigh ... lost 7-3, 7-3 to a friend tonight.

I generally play with stiff hard maple shaft and found it easy to adjust to WD700 shaft. The "swerve" is not as bad as OB-1 or 314 shaft.

The WD700 shaft plays good although it doesn't "feel" good as nice SW, Sugartee, MasonH or my other favorite cue makers' shafts.

I got my plain jane Mezz cue in Vegas from Caroline who post on AZ as "Mezz USA". She is great to deal with - very highly recommended.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Nice review. You both should try a Mezz Hybrid Alpha. It's a stiff version of a WD700.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Nice review. You both should try a Mezz Hybrid Alpha. It's a stiff version of a WD700.

I had a chance to play with Hybrid Pro 2 and didn't really like it. For me, I don't need anything stiffer than WD700.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quanz said:
Hi, first of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's been helpful regarding my question bout the Mezz WD700 shaft.
After a few days of testing my friend's WD, I decided to buy one.
After a few hours of play it really brings back my game back. But I still hesitant bout it, I was afraid it's just a "honeymoon period". Now after a couple of weeks of great playing (to my standard), I guess it's safe to say I've found my magic WanD

Here's a little history:
I started with a players cue with std shaft and I turned down the shaft to 12.75 (predator wannabe :p ). The shaft turned down and the whippy character of the shaft resulting a low deflection shaft which I don't realize untill 3 years of playing.
After 2 years of using the players shaft I decided to gives 314-2 a try. The shaft is stiffer but it's about the same deflection rate. It gives me more power therefore less effort to travel around table, it also improve my long range shooting.
About one year later using 314, a friend of mine (cue dealer) brought some cue for sale to show it to some potential customer, I look around and totally attracted to one of the Joss cue (JSM-50), it's the look that catched me that time. After 2 two night thinking I decided to go for it as I can't get it out of my head, I'm more into design first, quality later guy, at that time I thought, I'll be able to adjust as I adjust to 314 shaft.
From there on, my disastrous play begin. I like the solid hit but I can't play the same level I was, I was forced to use less english because more english means greater compesation needed and I'd learnt and been using LD shaft since I learn to play (about 3 years), when I go back testing my Players shaft I realized it has a LD characteristic. But I still didn't give up yet. I figure the 314-2 is really forgiving shaft, when my stroke is off, the ball still go in. With Joss shaft I got to be perfect with my stroke and it brought up a lot of error on my stroke, stance and grip, plus it has a nice feedback due to solid shaft. So I really work on my fundamental (inc video recording my form) until I found the correct form (no chicken wing, smoother release and no jabbing). But after adjusting bout 1 year, due to low hours of practicing I still find it's difficult to adjust english aiming, the muscle memory just weren't there. At first I still hesitant to leave the Joss coz I really like the solid hit, so I begin searching for a LD shaft that have a solid hit and not as stiff as 314-2.
After reading couple of thread regarding this issue and after a few days of test hit, here I am :smile:
I have no trouble at all adjusting to it, it's like a second nature to me, my aiming and stroke just fall in perfectly.
For a comparison I avg 5-6 ball playing 9-ball when using 314-2, 4-5 balls when using Joss shaft, and after fundamental fixing plus WD700 I'm now 6-7 balls avg.

Here's my review:
WD700 is a one piece wood shaft with some tech in it, it's a low deflection shaft but slightly higher than 314-2. Due to it's one piece contruction it still has some standard shaft character, whippier than 314. With WD700 I got a LD shaft with a solid feedback, although I still think my Joss shaft has a more solid hit compare to WD700.

I'm not saying that WD700 is the superior shaft for everyone, it fits me well due to my playing history, everyone is unique. I guess it's a journey to find your magic WanD :wink:

what was the tip size on the WD700 shaft you got. i've had two and both were different sizes. one was like 12.8 and the other was like 12.5

quanz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is 12.53 mm but it doesn't feel that thin compare to 314, I think the taper is a little bit different from 314.