Gold Crown Barn Find

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why I use the fiberglass mesh to first start building out the missing area, then when its stable, cut back the excess. When done right, it's as strong as the original material, and can't ever tell it's been repaired.

I hear you. This is very strong as well and once it is primed and painted, it won't be noticeable and will serve its purpose. More than one way to skin a cat I suppose. The areas in question will not even be seen once the table is assembled.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what, it's kind of like the person who spray paints his Gold Crown high gloss automotive black, then sits back looking at it thinking how beautiful it looks. Only thing is, in just a few years all that high gloss automotive black finish is going to look like shit because the paint is brittle, and won't support bonding to a structural surface that expands and contracts, so it develops spiderweb cracks all through the finish, and eventually starts peeling off. Whereas if a latex paint was used, it stretches with the wood surface, and contracts with it as well, so it never shows the same signs of the instability of an oil based paint. But, I suppose you're right, there's many ways of fixing things, I just prefer the best possible methods available so as to insure the best possible outcome.

Weird... my table was painted with Corvette "Electron Blue Metallic" and Lexus "Pearl White" auto paint about 12 years ago and it still looks perfect. Maybe I am just lucky? lol

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
48771005938_8a0ec89b33_o.jpg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm planning on restoring the table as I feel it warrants it. Work has begun today. Really not concerned about my time as I enjoy making old things new again and I do not plan on reselling. This one is a keeper. As for the 1 vs 2 debate, my research has indicated the following:

1. As has been already pointed out, adjustable feet were available on the 1's

2. Early 1's had the plastic nameplate but due to the fragile nature prone to cracking, the metal nameplate was introduced somewhere in the 1's production run (most likely early on).

3. Figure 8 plates were replaced later in the production run.

4. This has been a hot topic all over the forum over the years. Whether my table has Brustone or slate, I don't know. What I do know is the tack marks from the original cloth are evident in the slate backing so my best guess is original playing surface.

There's a ton of information online (some contradictory) and what I posted up above should be taken with a grain of salt because no one definitively knows the production idiosyncrasies of a 50+ year old relatively mass produced item. Who knows, I could have a Franken-Crown, but every indication points to this table being 100% original. Whether it is a 1 or 2 is open for debate.

GREAT FIND !!!!!!!!
I can verify all of this. I have a late GCI that was bought new from a Brunswick dealer for a private residence in Lake Geneva WI. in about 1970. The table was then sold to a friend in the early 80's and moved into another private residence at which time the cloth but not the cushions were replaced. I then found the table and purchased it in Jan 2012. My table has adjustable feet, does not have figure 8 nut plates, it has Brunstone, and has a metal nameplate I have since had the rails extended to tighten the pockets to 4 3/8" (was supposed to be 4 1/2" but thats OK, I wouldnt have even noticed if I didnt measure one day) and sub-rails were machined to take current Artemis cushions. I am extremely pleased with the way the table plays. I compared it to a few Diamonds in our area and it plays at about the exact same speed with about the only difference being that mine possibly banks ever so slightly longer. The only thing I may do different is change back to Superspeeds in the future. When I had my rails modified everyone was using Artemis cushions, now they seem to prefer Superspeeds for whatever reason.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
fastone371 left the ends of the legs in wood grain and painted the center section with white.
He also painted the spanner section white, but I think it would have looked better with the wood grain on the spanner.

Thanks for the mention. Mine was originally a white GCI. I sanded the rail blinds, ball box, and center of the pedestals to bare wood and stained them then repainted the white sections. Funny thing when I sanded the rail blinds, the white started to have sort of a green tint to it, I dont know if it was some primer/sealer or what but it was distinctively green. My wife and I must have bought at least a dozen cans of stain from 3 manufacturers before we found a close match to the rails. The problem is that I cant remember which shade we settled on and I may have mixed 2 together. I am an idiot, hopefully we never have to do any touch up.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
a couple of the long pieces were missing the mounting tabs; most likely broken due to improper removal.

Yeah, they were literally wired together with a piece of wire when I took the table apart. I did tell him about this before I shipped! GREAT FIX!!! I LOVE IT!

Can't wait to see the finished product, you guys are kickin ass!

Trent from Toledo

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, they were literally wired together with a piece of wire when I took the table apart. I did tell him about this before I shipped! GREAT FIX!!! I LOVE IT!

Trent from Toledo

Thanks, Trent! Appreciate it!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Weird... my table was painted with Corvette "Electron Blue Metallic" and Lexus "Pearl White" auto paint about 12 years ago and it still looks perfect. Maybe I am just lucky? lol

No, you just happen to live in an environment where there's very little change in the humidity levels😎

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Yes, this was not a surprise, Trent absolutely told me prior to my purchase. It sure doesn’t feel like I’m kicking ass. More like I’m getting my ass kicked!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity if the two of you didn't have the mechanical skills you obviously have how much do you feel all of the work would have cost using a professional mechanic.

Great score regardless.

I have loved the few Gold Crown Ones I have been able to play on. Lot of things to love about Diamonds but when you hit a ball at perfect speed down the rail and the pocket doesn't accept the ball, generally because, I am told, of the deep shelf, there is just something wrong about that. Pros and cons about everything in life.

The one thing that really went right from the start you found what you wanted at a great price!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back in the 60's in So. Calif there was great pool to be found in Bowling Alleys. Tropicana Lanes where Richie Florence could be found om most days, 5 Corners out El Monte & Baldwin Park way with the Mexican Mafia led by various guys like Francisco Galindo. Good pool and well kept equipment. Finds like that just make smile and shake my head in appreciation.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity if the two of you didn't have the mechanical skills you obviously have how much do you feel all of the work would have cost using a professional mechanic.

Great score regardless.

I have loved the few Gold Crown Ones I have been able to play on. Lot of things to love about Diamonds but when you hit a ball at perfect speed down the rail and the pocket doesn't accept the ball, generally because, I am told, of the deep shelf, there is just something wrong about that. Pros and cons about everything in life.

The one thing that really went right from the start you found what you wanted at a great price!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back in the 60's in So. Calif there was great pool to be found in Bowling Alleys. Tropicana Lanes where Richie Florence could be found om most days, 5 Corners out El Monte & Baldwin Park way with the Mexican Mafia led by various guys like Francisco Galindo. Good pool and well kept equipment. Finds like that just make smile and shake my head in appreciation.

Thanks for sharing Gary! I always enjoy hearing about the pool scene in SoCal before my time. Let's not forget Frank Almanza!

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have a mechanic restore one of these as I never got a price quote. Maybe Trent and Glen can chime in on that. I know the rail work, cushions, cloth and setup is going to run me $1,500 so I would imagine another $2K-$3K to restore it all the way?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for sharing Gary! I always enjoy hearing about the pool scene in SoCal before my time. Let's not forget Frank Almanza!

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have a mechanic restore one of these as I never got a price quote. Maybe Trent and Glen can chime in on that. I know the rail work, cushions, cloth and setup is going to run me $1,500 so I would imagine another $2K-$3K to restore it all the way?

The biggest problem with that, is finding someone that can do a full restore, not just a paint job!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

You are definitely in the ballpark on the price. I do not usually restore other peoples tables, but, on occasion I will if they are cooperative and understand the cost/ value for the amount of work/ time that goes into a project.

I never get requests for what you guys are doing and quite frankly I am a little envious! I have only sold one original GC1 in original condition. It was literally mint and I have never found one that nice again! Most people who call me want a custom GC: stained wood and their choice of powder coating/plating, new simonis, pockets, cushions(some want to spend on the rail mods and some do not) and of course delivered/installed. Again, hats off to you guys for rising to the challenge! It will all be worth it when you are done and you will NEVER need to buy another pool table. Not to mention the gratification of doing it for yourself. Have a great day everyone!

Trent from Toledo

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are definitely in the ballpark on the price. I do not usually restore other peoples tables, but, on occasion I will if they are cooperative and understand the cost/ value for the amount of work/ time that goes into a project.

I never get requests for what you guys are doing and quite frankly I am a little envious! I have only sold one original GC1 in original condition. It was literally mint and I have never found one that nice again! Most people who call me want a custom GC: stained wood and their choice of powder coating/plating, new simonis, pockets, cushions(some want to spend on the rail mods and some do not) and of course delivered/installed. Again, hats off to you guys for rising to the challenge! It will all be worth it when you are done and you will NEVER need to buy another pool table. Not to mention the gratification of doing it for yourself. Have a great day everyone!

Trent from Toledo

Thanks, Trent! I like projects but I am ready for this one to be done so I can start enjoying it!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weren't there 2 tables in that barn? Any news of the 2nd Crown 1?
(thread is super cool by the way, really enjoying the read, thanks)

My buddy got the other table and is giving his the same treatment I am. He's the guy I fixed the skirts for.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weren't there 2 tables in that barn? Any news of the 2nd Crown 1?
(thread is super cool by the way, really enjoying the read, thanks)

Second table owner here: some behind Rexus but that gives me the advantage of learning from his progress.

Biggest hurdle at the moment is getting a decent paint finish on the base. 4 coats and sanding between gets old.

Had the corner castings, feet, and trim powder coated (discovered an issue with one casting). One corner had been used as a sawhorse it looks like and they cut into a pocket! Didn’t notice (doh)! and now I have to find and buy another and have it coated at the same vendor.

Have repaired the ball box.

Bought a set of wings from Trent, and Rexus did a nice job repairing a few issues with them — see above.

Bought a few misc parts from classic Billiards, muellers and a local nut and bolt store.

Buffed out the formica and pulled cloth and staples from all the rails. Very pleased with the results,

Scored a sweet replica Brunswick sticker from Rexus. Love that detail! Even though nobody will ever see it lol.

Brother is going to give the paint a go this week. Wish me luck. Maybe I’ll catch Rexus soon!