Helena Thornfeldt RIP

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to report that I’ve heard that the great player, Helena Thornfeldt, has passed away.

Shocking and very sad!!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Condolences to her friends and family. I watched her play for many years.
RIP
Sledgehammer

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry to hear of her passing she was one of the big names on the woman's tour. RIP

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to report that I’ve heard that the great player, Helena Thornfeldt, has passed away.

Shocking and very sad!!

RIP.

Ran into her numerous times back at the old Midwest WPBA events in Villa Park, Peoria, and Michigan City. She was always very nice and cherry and grateful to the fans. Fun to watch break and run out.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How very disheartening. Helena was a good friend of mine and I'll miss her a lot.

I was there for the match in which Helena made her presence known in American pool. It was, I believe, in 1994 in the WPBA Brunswick New York Classic at the Amsterdam Billiard Club in New York City. An unknown player to me, she made it all the way to the finals, where she, somewhat ironically, drew Jeanette Lee, with whom she was living in California. Helena got all the way to double hill before falling in the final to then number one ranked Lee, but a star was born.

I was also present for what was surely Helena's greatest victory as a pro, a win at the Women's US Open 9-ball in approximately 2001 at the Sandia Hotel in New Mexico.

Helena was a star of the WPBA for many years, typically ranked in the 3-8 range. She may have had the best nine ball break on the women's tour until Ga Young Kim came along.

Fine player, fine lady. She'll be missed. Condolences to her family and friends. Condolences to two of her contemporaries from the world of Swedish Pool, BCA Hall of Famer Ewa Mataya Laurance and Team Europe Mosconi Cup captain Marcus Chamat.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Terrible news. I sure did like her. Not only a great pool player but a sweetheart of a person. Helena always had a smile on her face and would just shrug her shoulders after a tough loss or even after a bad call went against her. She was always upbeat and cheerful to everyone. Helena and Monica were two of my best friends on the WPBA. They went on to own a successful poolroom together and a nice home.

I would like to know what happened to Helena. She was not that old, maybe not even 50.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A way too soon for Helena....rest in peace
...she was only 52 years old and had just opened another restaurant

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad news. She was part of the great era of women’s pool on ESPN. It’s when I first realized that Jean Balukas was not the only good women player.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Seen her play many times. Her demeanor at the table was spot on. She had moments, when no one liked drawing her....that was during Fishers prime. She had a nice smile/demeanor/way about her person....she was accepted by her peers. St. Peter, ''rack em up''.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terrible news. I sure did like her. Not only a great pool player but a sweetheart of a person. Helena always had a smile on her face and would just shrug her shoulders after a tough loss or even after a bad call went against her. She was always upbeat and cheerful to everyone. Helena and Monica were two of my best friends on the WPBA. They went on to own a successful poolroom together and a nice home.

I would like to know what happened to Helena. She was not that old, maybe not even 50.

52 - doesn't list a cause of death

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/08/helena-thornfeldt-dead/

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Terrible loss for her family and loved ones. Many have expressed their sadness already as it was very sudden. Helena was well known to always have a smile for anyone in need and often put herself out to help others. She was more than an icon for the sport, but for all of us, and her departure comes too soon.

Rest in Peace Helena.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way too young. I remember her well when she was at Hard Times on a daily basis with Jeanette. They were serious about their pool but were always laughing and having a great time. Tang Hoa often joined them. Those were good times and her passing is hard to read about.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Jeeesh, way too young and too precious to leave us.
I remember Helena shooting with her Judd at the Hard Times in the mid-90's.
She often worked her game there .
She sparred with men and women.
RIP Helena.
I hope God has a nice Gold Crown for you up there.