APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe how many people play apa, with the hope to go to vegas. Cheaper just to go on their own.

Apa makes a ton of profit off its players, and doesn't pay out very much at year end.

Csi you don’t need league plays and it’s around 150 to enter!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have been on az for a minute and have seen your posts go from pretty good to sad. You can do better. Its a shame this thread continues.

Maybe. I personally think I've become a better person.. The old me just drifted from topic to topic, looking for a fight. Now, the trolls don't even get to me.

While I am trying to be my better self, I truly think this team got f0cked.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe. I personally think I've become a better person.. The old me just drifted from topic to topic, looking for a fight. Now, the trolls don't even get to me.

"our 4 had a 2-2 record and was raised anyway. Others had a 1-2 record and were raised"

That's from Sleinen's post. If true I don't see how anybody can deny they got screwed. APA could clear it up by posting the criteria as to how players get their handicap raised at the national tournament. Money can cause funny things to happen.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"our 4 had a 2-2 record and was raised anyway. Others had a 1-2 record and were raised"

That's from Sleinen's post. If true I don't see how anybody can deny they got screwed. APA could clear it up by posting the criteria as to how players get their handicap raised at the national tournament. Money can cause funny things to happen.

It doesn’t matter what their records are, it matters what their wins amounted to. Thourough ass kickings change your rating quicker than just barely winning.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I saw Sleinen’s team several times. I don’t believe anyone thought they did anything
wrong, they just played well. I believe some of their team was borderline to moving up
to the next skill level, as they advanced their lower rated players really raised their games.
Apparently the wins that came with advancing were played well enough to raise
skill levels, the medium and senior players didn’t always play as well, but they had some
really good games/matches with the same results. I don’t believe they got screwed, I
think it’s just the way things worked out. If they got screwed by anyone it was by their
league operator who probably should have made them aware that several were on the
edge of going up, but that’s probably a bit of a stretch too.
You really can’t say someone was 1-2 or 2-2, you still have to take the last 20 matches.
Those players could have both been 18 - 2, or 2 - 18, all (10) of which would have figured
Into their skill level calculation.
The only thing this team did wrong was to try to vape inside the tournament room.
This is a pretty good team, they had a really good chance to win it

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Sleinen’s team several times. I don’t believe anyone thought they did anything
wrong, they just played well. I believe some of their team was borderline to moving up
to the next skill level, as they advanced their lower rated players really raised their games.
skill levels, the medium and senior players didn’t always play as well, but they had some
really good games/matches with the same results. I don’t believe they got screwed, I
think it’s just the way things worked out. If they got screwed by anyone it was by their
league operator who probably should have made them aware that several were on the
You really can’t say someone was 1-2 or 2-2, you still have to take the last 20 matches.
Those players could have both been 18 - 2, or 2 - 18, all (10) of which would have figured
The only thing this team did wrong was to try to vape inside the tournament room.

For someone who is not sandbagging, what good is it to tell them they are on the verge of moving up?

A sandbagger would take it easy and pad their innings.

A non-sandbagger would just say "Woohoo! I'm getting better!" and then play even better.

And then get some good wins and get kicked out for sandbagging.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
For someone who is not sandbagging, what good is it to tell them they are on the verge of moving up?

A sandbagger would take it easy and pad their innings.

A non-sandbagger would just say "Woohoo! I'm getting better!" and then play even better.

And then get some good wins and get kicked out for sandbagging.

The good would be that before you go to the national tournaments you’re asked to fill
out a certification packet. At that time, if you know you have a player that is dangerously
close to moving up you can certify them at the higher skill level and lower any risk of DQ.
If you go to the national tournaments with the idea of padding innings it’s likely that you
get beat. So all the time you spent sandbagging so you could play there at a lower skill
skill level won’t matter. You get beat, you probably get eliminated.
Padding innings is pretty simple, it doesn’t contribute to keeping your skill level low like
you might think it does. I think most players in the APA really can’t sandbag effectively,
there’s just too much to keep track of

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good would be that before you go to the national tournaments you’re asked to fill
out a certification packet. At that time, if you know you have a player that is dangerously
close to moving up you can certify them at the higher skill level and lower any risk of DQ.
If you go to the national tournaments with the idea of padding innings it’s likely that you
get beat. So all the time you spent sandbagging so you could play there at a lower skill
skill level won’t matter. You get beat, you probably get eliminated.
Padding innings is pretty simple, it doesn’t contribute to keeping your skill level low like
you might think it does. I think most players in the APA really can’t sandbag effectively,
there’s just too much to keep track of

I don't really know the first thing about sandbagging so forgive my ignorance. I just don't see the point.

So the net net is that the LO should have filled out a form raising 5 of their 6 players?

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really know the first thing about sandbagging so forgive my ignorance. I just don't see the point.

So the net net is that the LO should have filled out a form raising 5 of their 6 players?

The net is the APA is not for serious players. Its for people that want to have fun. Nothing wrong with that if u go in with eyes wide open.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The net is the APA is not for serious players. Its for people that want to have fun. Nothing wrong with that if u go in with eyes wide open.

The net is that the apa is for anyone who wants to play pool. Its various formats are gea ed for anyone from a new player that cannot run two balls starting with bih all the way up to pro level players such as brian parks and that is why its the most succesfull league in the country. .

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

No, the LO isn’t the one that fills those out. Sean is a bright guy, in my opinion if a, or most
captains know for certain that they have players that are verifiably about to go up right
before the national tournament they will voluntarily raise them instead of risking a DQ.
Better to have your players playing at an accurate skill level than below. Chances are if they are that
close to moving up it will take several losses before they move back down, likely more
than they will have an opportunity for matches at the tournament. Getting DQ’d does
no one any good, why take the chance if you can prevent it?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn’t matter what their records are, it matters what their wins amounted to. Thourough ass kickings change your rating quicker than just barely winning.

No really.. you can constantly shut people out but if you have a ton of innings you won’t go up.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks:

Apologies I had not been following this thread of late. There was a period where it was asked of the team and anyone associated with the team (i.e. team-shirted spectators, like myself and one other person) to engage in a little "radio silence" while some back-channel discussions were being had about the post-DQ ramifications that were coming down -- i.e. the 2-year bans for the team members. The APA National office in St. Louis finally came back with a decision, and the 2-year bans will stay upon the team members, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the team was (and never had been) sandbagging. It was mentioned both in the initial meetings with representatives at Las Vegas upon delivery of the initial DQ decision, as well as communications afterwards, that the belief was not that the team was cheating, but that the team had an unfair advantage and that there was too much movement in skill-level of several players. (Again, no player was moved more than one skill level; it was that several players were all moved up one skill level -- too many players in their eyes.)

So, now that decision has been handed down and finalized, radio silence is now lifted.

I do not agree with the 2-year bans, even though it doesn't affect me -- I was a team-shirted spectator, remember; not an actual player on the team. But, after having witnessed what I did with my own eyes, I've decided the APA is not for me, and I've written my league operator to remove me from the 8-ball team (which has since been dissolved by the captain anyway), and request to have my APA player ID number inactivated. Back to local traveling leagues and tournaments for me, as well as a refocusing upon my true loves, 14.1 and one pocket.

Let's get down to business:

Ah yes, this is quite funny -- all the hoopla made about *me* when I'm not even a player on the team in question, was upfront the whole time about what my involvement with the team is, and was transparent through all of this. As well as the hoopla made about players on the team in question that weren't raised in skill level, like the team's skill-level 2, Ariah Parker. But leave it to the personalities on AzB to find someone or something to bash, even if it's off topic.

It's been a stretch of time since it was first posted, so it may be a helpful reminder to some what this thread was supposed to be about (the team didn't create this thread btw), and the clarifications about some of the misinformation that was being spread.

Post #166:
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6461867#post6461867

I encourage folks to review post #166, as it will help clear up many things. Not asking for any kind of pity, btw, as it is what it is. In fact, for me, it helps refocus me on the games I actually love, and I will be returning to the local tournament scene as well. There are positives here, and that's what I choose to take away from all this.

Best,
-Sean

Sean,
You are a smart guy. You learned in one session that the APA is a waste of time and money. Big joke. Especially for better players.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's from Sleinen.

This is the biggest pool website in the nation. APA is the biggest pool league. You would think a representative of the APA could explain how players with those records in the tournament got raised and what the criteria is for raising the handicap during the national tournament.

On its face it appears to be asinine and I agree the team got screwed and will continue to believe that until a national representative explains exactly what happened and then compares that with the other teams which made it deep in the tournament but were not kicked out.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Says the guy who started this thread with a completely trollish subject line that turned to be, substantially, BS.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's from Sleinen.

This is the biggest pool website in the nation. APA is the biggest pool league. You would think a representative of the APA could explain how players with those records in the tournament got raised and what the criteria is for raising the handicap during the national tournament.

On its face it appears to be asinine and I agree the team got screwed and will continue to believe that until a national representative explains exactly what happened and then compares that with the other teams which made it deep in the tournament but were not kicked out.

I do not think an apa representative needs to come on here and explain their actions to anyone....particularly to non members.

If they chose to post on here it would cause a feeding frenzy of epic proportions from the league hating mob.

Threads like this are exactly why mark griffin chose to quit posting. The more he explained his leagues actions on any particular incident the more he and his league was trashed and bashed.

Haters gonna hate no matter how many logical explanations are given.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean,
You are a smart guy. You learned in one session that the APA is a waste of time and money. Big joke. Especially for better players.

Its been said many times on here apa is not for everyone. I guess its true for a guy who cwn run a 100 but is only an apa 6. Hell i am a 6 and i cwnt run a rwck let alone a 100.

Wtf is a 100 ball runner doing to only be an apa 6 ?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its been said many times on here apa is not for everyone. I guess its true for a guy who cwn run a 100 but is only an apa 6. Hell i am a 6 and i cwnt run a rwck let alone a 100.

Must be they don't start guys as 7s.

Despite a 168 high run I'm still an APA zero....want nothing to do with it.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It’s an objective system. If that’s what the formula is that’s what he is. Although given that I don’t understand why APA officials had to watch their matches to make a decision as someone noted about this incident.

There are a lot of things that don’t add up here. Could be just that the information is incomplete.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be they don't start guys as 7s.

Despite a 168 high run I'm still an APA zero....want nothing to do with it.

Although its a given new. Males start as a 4 Apa has what they call a known player clause when new players become menbers. You can start a new player at a higher rating based on thier known ability to play.

There was a guy who joined a team one night that we were facing. I knew him well as we used to be team mates on a 9 foot table money league. I told the opposing captain he should start as a 7. She said she was willing to start him as a 5 based on my opinion Although she could legaly start him as a 4.

I finally talked her into starting him as a 6 otherwise i was texting the lo and getting him involved . sure enough he was raised to a 7 the following week and has stayed a 7 where he righfully belonged.

So you see why i don't buy your excuse on why a 100 ball runner may be a 6 . kinda odd a poster who has never played apa giving a reason on why an apa player may be rated lower than his known ability.