never had an alignment or finish
issue with Josh.

treadway.jpg

T-jps.jpg

davis_treadwayjps2.jpg

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Alton Takata, not sure if he's taking orders right now though. He posts under the screen name: CueCaps.

Neil

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've pretty much given up trying to find someone to undertake custom protectors.
Alton has ruined the market with his masterpiece designs that no one else could do.

Fancy protectors cost a bit when the design is fancy & why have protectors that aren't.
Otherwise just get plain black Delrin protectors & save money since cheap works just fine.

I am in awe of the set that Bob made for my last cue. I asked him to do something special
and boy, did he ever. If Alton was still taking orders, I'd have him make some sets. I'd need
like three sets which will sure cost a few bucks but likely less than before due to "no ivory".

Protector sets are like men's ties......the right one makes the suit and the plain old black tie,
well. although it functionally qualifies as a substitute, it's nonetheless pretty drab looking. So
if you're getting custom protectors, make 'em as fancy as you can afford or just get a black tie.

brentinps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can second Jim Baxter as a great guy and experienced craftsman to do the JPs. I have not found anyone more reasonable as him as well. He can match anything. I have only ordered Jps one so far.

I am going to get a set for my new Scruggs.... it just looks unfinished when I look at it. ;(

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Josh doesn't make joint protectors for nits.

200 bucks for left over wood with veneer with shiny finish?
If that makes me a nit ,which Im glad I don't even know what that means, so be it

If I had the money to burn, ya I'd probably do it
But I'm not in that class of income

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quality set of joint protectors that match your cue add more labor than an extra shaft. When you start adding matching matching inlays and intricate ringwork you can double the cost of the cue.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
200 bucks for left over wood with veneer with shiny finish?
If that makes me a nit ,which Im glad I don't even know what that means, so be it

If I had the money to burn, ya I'd probably do it
But I'm not in that class of income

Depending upon the complexity and quality of the j/p's that's the going rate for a set of three.

Aftermarket basic jp's lacking inlays/veneers which don't mirror the details in the cue can be had for less.

I've paid as much as $300 for matching j/p's from the original cuemaker.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Depending upon the complexity and quality of the j/p's that's the going rate for a set of three.

Aftermarket basic jp's lacking inlays/veneers which don't mirror the details in the cue can be had for less.

I've paid as much as $300 for matching j/p's from the original cuemaker.

There is no complexity

Leftover wood with matching veneer, that's is

Plain caps for a plain cue

Josh's work is top notch

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Engraved ivory top joint protectors for my last South West were $375 from the SW shop. If you're not in a hurry...;)

Attachments

• 2015-04-14 17.44.51.jpg
    2015-04-14 17.44.51.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JP's

" In Joint protectors, you get what you pay for, and, you don't get what you don't pay for"..

" Joint Protectors are the Rodney Dangerfield of Pool Cue Accessories"..

- Alton Takata - Cue Caps :)

Attachments

• Tonkin Purple Haze m.jpg
    Tonkin Purple Haze m.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 420

MikieG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow!

I finally acquired my bucket list cue. So I am looking to finish it off with a little being.
I really appreciate everyone and their input. If the craftsmen mentioned happen upon this thread, please PM me.
Thanks again.

swellone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had several made by a fella named Lonnie Wilber (lonnie_wilber@yahoo.com). I haven't dealt with him in years so can't say if he's still making them or not.
AF1QipNFXHTq1VT91YY69tntJoECGcvOrpArCf7M3VwJ

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jps

I ordered a set of 3/8x10 from e bay they work just fine for me, I'm not a fancy guy only paid $15 but I do have a variety of ties for my suits.I just can't see me spending a lot of money on jps but than that's only my opinion.

Last edited: