How Deep Are Big Backer Pockets?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a big match, like the DD vs Cheng matchup, how much money do you think these big backers actually have?

I know a lot of times it's a joint venture with 2 or 3 backers all getting a piece of the action.

But for example, if a backer is betting 20k, how much do you think he actually has in his account? 50k? 100k? 500k?

I've always wondered this. Are they crazy risk takers betting anything they can come up with or are they only risking a drop in the bucket? How long does it take to recover from losing one of these big match ups?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a big match, like the DD vs Cheng matchup, how much money do you think these big backers actually have?

I know a lot of times it's a joint venture with 2 or 3 backers all getting a piece of the action.

But for example, if a backer is betting 20k, how much do you think he actually has in his account? 50k? 100k? 500k?

I've always wondered this. Are they crazy risk takers betting anything they can come up with or are they only risking a drop in the bucket? How long does it take to recover from losing one of these big match ups?

It's a case by case basis. Some of em have lots of money and just like to sweat pool. Some of em are scraping it together to try to make a big score. Betting on pool is volatile, like poker, where you may have a small edge but that edge is only realized over many long matches. People have different bankroll management strategies. If they are really in it to make money, they try to get a lot in on matches where they think they are a significant favorite, but for the most part they're probably not betting more than 1-10% of their bankroll on any single match. It's just like any other form of advantage gambling

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the smart players and backers always have a big edge in the bet. that doesnt mean they always win but their edge is big.

many times its 100%.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

These backing propositions are a fun side-line for most backers.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-4lkmztrfg

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the smart players and backers always have a big edge in the bet. that doesnt mean they always win but their edge is big.

many times its 100%.

100% when they are trapping the other backer.

I'm good with betting high, but it's hard to bet on anybody else's game.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

Some are millionaires, 0 recovery time :wink:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The rule of thumb for poker is whatever stake your playing at, you need 100 buy ins at that level or your playing over your bankroll.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ever been to Buffalo's? It ain't no fun side-line down there. Those cats will bet so high your nose will bleed.

I was around the Rack in some of their good years.
That high-rolling money came from other sources than pool....
...a lot of it couldn’t be declared officially.

Once in a while, a pool player would take a good win and become an entry level high
-roller....usually not for long.

I’m thinking Buffalo’s is similar.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was around the Rack in some of their good years.
That high-rolling money came from other sources than pool....
...a lot of it couldn’t be declared officially.

Once in a while, a pool player would take a good win and become an entry level high
-roller....usually not for long.

I’m thinking Buffalo’s is similar.
Yeah, you're probably right. Got some "sports brokers" down there that like pool. They get it OUTTA the mud for sure. Probably the highest daily action spot goin' right now. Not for the faint-of-heart(or b'roll).

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rule of thumb for poker is whatever stake your playing at, you need 100 buy ins at that level or your playing over your bankroll.

That's very conservative for all but the most volatile games IMO. I would want 100BI for heads-up sng. 40-50BI is fine for 6-max or even full ring cash games. In pool people gamble with a lot more of their stack than that, but also in pool you can just flat out win if you're better. In poker it take 100k+ hands to realize your 4bb/100hand edge...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah, you're probably right. Got some "sports brokers" down there that like pool. They get it OUTTA the mud for sure. Probably the highest daily action spot goin' right now. Not for the faint-of-heart(or b'roll).

I saw a bookie in ‘78 at the Rack get stuck 50Gs....ran outta money...
..sent one of his runners to his home...told him where to look for his slush money...
....card board box under a stairwell....it had ones, fives, tens, and twenties...
...they dumped it on the 3-table....four guys were sorting and counting it...
...came out to over 30Gs....he went off for that also...
..told them...”Tomorrow I’m coming back with some REAL money...:eek:k:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of the guys who are backing the biggest games we watch online have very deep pockets, like a healthy six figures for starters. In some of the more private games that are not streamed some guys are betting all they can beg, borrow and steal! :rolleyes:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would venture that at least 90% 0f backer money comes from 3 sources- one is from successful legit business people, one is from people who have "family" money and did not really work for it, and the third is money that comes from business ventures of ANY sort that are NOT on the IRS radar. The remaining 10% of backer money is most probably from someone who scored big on a recent gambling venture and is looking to make another quick killing with it.