Review on Fury cue(NA-2)

cyberrot

Curly Maple Nut
Silver Member
It has been been a while(perhaps around 5 years or more) since I last bought a production cue as I was buying custom cues during this period.

I was thinking about trying out a production cue out of curiosity as I heard that the production cue companies are producing better cues due to better quality control as well as more knowledge in making good cues.

I took a gamble and got myself a Fury cue(http://www.fury-cues.com/funa02.html)

I did not want to spend too much on a production cue, so I settled on a cue from the NA series, which is a brand new series from Fury.
Being a curly maple nut, I got a NA2.

When I received the cue, I was quite surprised by the high quality work on the cue as I inspected the cue from tip to bumper.

The finish was very good, perhaps this is expected of production cues as the companies should be able to invest in good equipment to do good finishes on their cue.

The joints, ringwork and wrap were well flushed and showed no misalignment. Perhaps this should be mandatory as well since the factories should have better equipment for higher precision in terms of measurements.

The linen wrap on this cue was very well done, very smooth to touch. It took me a while to find the groove where they finished the wrap.
I am not a fan of linen wrap as I prefer wrapless cues or cues with leather wraps and I was thinking of changing the wrap to a leather wrap before the cue arrived.
However, It looks like I will not do anything to the cue wrap yet.

The woods used in this cue is quite good as well.
The shaft wood looks good and clean with no sugar marks.

The curly maple they used on this cue was quite figured, comparable to the curly maple on my custom cues with curly maple.

In terms of looks and work done on the cue, I would give this cue 9.5 out of 10. I will not give it a 10 out of 10 as nothing is perfect in this world. :grin-square:

I went to a pool hall to test this cue and I got a pleasant surprise.
The cue has a medium stiff hit, which is different from the soft hitting production cues which I had tried so far.

In addition, the cue come fitted with a Tiger Everest tip which was in the higher end among Tiger cue tip range. This could be another factor on why this cue hits quite good.

In terms of feedback, this cue has a good feedback, much better than some cues which I had/have owned.

Personally I feel that this cue is value for money for a 200-dollar cue, and I would give it a score of 9.5 out of 10 overall.
I think I should be playing with this cue for some time before I switch back to my customs. :wink:

Attached are pictures of my cue.

Attachments

• joint and shaft.JPG
    joint and shaft.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 10,269
  • cue view.JPG
    cue view.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 8,985
  • butt sleeve 1.JPG
    butt sleeve 1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 8,855
  • forearm.JPG
    forearm.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 9,192
  • rubber bumper.JPG
    rubber bumper.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 8,858

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Nice looking cue. The stainless butt cap adds a nice touch. I've been a fan of Fury cues for years.

Steve

bowhunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fury

I'd love to see a review of the Fury cue with the radial pin. I was at Valley Forge last month shot and was hanging around the Fury booth and managed to shoot with a Fury HL-2 (radial pin). I was impressed with the feel of the cue and my ability to pocket balls. Being the indecisive person I am, I couldn't pull the trigger on the cue, although I did like it. Since then I've been trying to locate some opinion or review on these cues (HL series with radial pins). Nothing? Any help out there would be very much appreciated.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I haven't shot with an HL series, but I did a review on the Fury Evolution which is a radial pin...and I have been using the Fruy RP for quite a few years. There is a different (usually described as softer) hit with the radial pin which screws directly into the wood of the shaft. I really like it, and would be highly unlikely to consider changing to a cue with a different joint type.

Steve

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
The fury hl is a great cue for the money .. i sell a lot of the around town ... There are a lot more woods on this model of cue .. The price is great.