BCA Open team from TAIWAN disqualified?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Good cause more information and documentation has been sent to me since the last time that this thread was sparked. All very interesting.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I believe he said he would address it at this week's TAR podcast. Tune in!

As the decision will directly affect me, I would have preferred direct communication. Hopefully someone who listens will publish the information on AZ. Better yet, the statement might be published on the CSI / BCAPL website front page.

Lyn

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
As the decision will directly affect me, I would have preferred direct communication. Hopefully someone who listens will publish the information on AZ. Better yet, the statement might be published on the CSI / BCAPL website front page.

Lyn

Only because I assume you played one of the Taiwanese players. I expand on this idea once Mark G. has finished unpacking his boxes. I did just finish unpacking my suitcase last weekend so I can understand these things take time.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Good cause more information and documentation has been sent to me since the last time that this thread was sparked. All very interesting.

Well since that would be the only new info we seem to have the potential to get how about sharing?

This is something that needs to be explained pretty clearly, including where the $17,000 went.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can search a lot of players --- let's look at XXXXXX and his results the past few years. I bet he couldn't believe it when the Taiwanese players tried to 'steal' his money in the 8 ball open singles he was allowed to play in -

2012 BCAPL National Championships
Division First Last Team Start Time Region League Result Bracket Matches
8MOS XXXXXXX 7-8
9MOT XXXXXXX 1st Place
8MAT XXXXXXX 9-12

2011 BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships
8MOS XXXXXX 385-512
8MMT XXXXXX 2nd Place

BCAPL Midwest Regional
MMS XXXXXXX 9-12
MMT XXXXXXX 2nd Place

2010 BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships
MOS XXXXXXXX 49-64
MOT XXXXXXXX 1st Place

That must be the arrogant douche named Morris.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL and Taiwan Team

Watchez,
Interesting comments. I don't find the results you are stating.
Glen Collins from Alberta was 7-8 in MOS.

I think you are referring to Dustin Morris or mike Fieldhammer.
Dustin was advanced this year.
Fieldhammer finally graduated with a 17-24 finish. He has played many years without getting to the big board.
9-ball teams (3 man) don't carry a lot of weight because of small fields.
Regionals also don't usually carry a lot of weight

I guess I would need more info to really get what you are saying.

I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories- our fields are just too tough.
But we are all trying to accomplish the same thing - having players competing in the proper division.

Mark griffin

You can search a lot of players --- let's look at XXXXXX and his results the past few years. I bet he couldn't believe it when the Taiwanese players tried to 'steal' his money in the 8 ball open singles he was allowed to play in -

2012 BCAPL National Championships
8MOS XXXXXXX 7-8
9MOT XXXXXXX 1st Place
8MAT XXXXXXX 9-12

2011 BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships
8MOS XXXXXX 385-512
8MMT XXXXXX 2nd Place

BCAPL Midwest Regional
MMS XXXXXXX 9-12
MMT XXXXXXX 2nd Place

2010 BCAPL National 8-Ball Championships
MOS XXXXXXXX 49-64
MOT XXXXXXXX 1st Place

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL Taiwan Team

Celtic,

I am a little surprised about this post.
Are you insinuating (or suggesting) that the prize fund will not be distributed to players?

If so - you are way wrong and I think you are improper to even suggest that.

BTW, the amount we are talking about is $18,000.

As I had stated before, we will release the info when it s completed. I stated it should be around a week to 10 days after our event ended. Our event ended on 20th - and the 30th would be 10 days. Not even counting holidays!!

Although I appreciate reading all these comments, some of them are way off base. As always, I am easy to contact but will not get into arguments with individuals on a public forum.

Hopefully that will satisfy most of the spectators.

Mark Griffin

Well since that would be the only new info we seem to have the potential to get how about sharing?

This is something that needs to be explained pretty clearly, including where the $17,000 went.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Nope. With the holiday weekend, we're just giving Mark a couple extra days to open his boxes. ;)

You keep referring to "opening boxes" like all Mark had to do was unpack a suitcase. I can understand that if you don't really know what actually happens every May at his office.

They tear down almost the whole office and move it a hotel for two weeks. Almost everything that is needed to run the whole office gets packed up trucked over, set up and used for two weeks. I would guess the staff averages fourteen hour days for those two weeks. Then after all that is finished they have to tear everything down, truck it back to the office, unpack everything, find all the stuff that goes with other stuff to make it work and set everything back up. I am talking pallet loads full of stuff. Its not a laptop and printer. I saw one pallet full of nothing but paperwork waiting to be loaded.

So next time you are in your home imagine packing everything up....moving it across the street, working twelve to sixteen hours a day dealing with thousands of of people who come to Vegas to drink and party with some pool thrown in...then moving it all back again and setting everything up to get back to running a 60,000 or so member league. Mark's not pulling your leg man. They have a lot of stuff to get straight after these things.

I have no clue what the final statement will say but I am 100% positive some will agree, some will hate it, most won't really care and several will make it into a conspiracy rivaled only by controlled demolitions and shooters on the grassy knoll.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL Taiwan Team

Watchez ,

Because Archer and Busty will be guests on the podcast - TAR 27 is this weekend - this issue probably won't make the show.

I would encourage you to contact me if you think you have some pertinent info on this or other instances of players in the wrong division.

I know you are 'in the know' more than most - but we track over 6,000 players and you only have to watch a few. Either way, we are always open to legitimate suggestions.

By the way, there was one very good suggestion in this thread. In fact it is something that we were already going to probably implement in 2013.

Mark Griffin

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL Taiwan

Lyn,

As Watchez stated, the only players that will probably be affected by this whole situation is the payers that got beat by th two players.

Sorry - that did not include you.

Congrats on your very high finish and graduation.

Mark Griffin

Lyn

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL Taiwan

There have been several posts suggesting that we should put more money into the higher divisions because it would 'seem' the better players would go after it.

Logical - but WRONG!

For many years the league graduated between 48-64 players to master level. The field continued to shrink. That is part of the reason we created the advanced division.

All the leagues suffer from this situation - and it is bizarre to me. But after adding $10,000 to mens and women's master teams (often with only a dozen teams entered) just got frustrating.

If someone wants the exact figures on added money and number of teams, I can provide that if at my desk at the office. I am at home on an iPad and it is almost 12:30 am

So- graduating more players is not the answer- even if there is added money.

Also, just paying the 128 that get to the big board is not appropriate. We try to pay around 3/8 of the field. Just the big board would be 10% or so.

But hey, you guys are trying to come up with some solid solutions and I appreciate it. Just sometimes we are 'been there- done that'.

Mark Griffin

Aten

m8
Silver Member
lol pretty sure it's just because these players would qualify in Taiwan's open tournaments, can you really blame them simply because the average standard of play there is that much stronger than the average in the US?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Watchez,
Interesting comments. I don't find the results you are stating.
Glen Collins from Alberta was 7-8 in MOS.

I think you are referring to Dustin Morris or mike Fieldhammer.
Dustin was advanced this year.
Fieldhammer finally graduated with a 17-24 finish. He has played many years without getting to the big board.
9-ball teams (3 man) don't carry a lot of weight because of small fields.
Regionals also don't usually carry a lot of weight

I guess I would need more info to really get what you are saying.

I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories- our fields are just too tough.
But we are all trying to accomplish the same thing - having players competing in the proper division.

Mark griffin

Yes I didn't want to single a player out cause my looking thru the archives took all of about 10 minutes. And I wasn't stating it was a consipiracy theory. Just pointing out that many players 'slip' throught the system one way or another. But yes it was Dustin and he played in the OPEN singles. I now your brain is probably still fried from the long weeks of the BCAPL but 7/8 is two spots. :p Glen and Dustin got 7/8

Events » 2012 National Championship Entries

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

First Name Last Name City State Country Lg # Team DT Verified Division Place Payout
Ken Wing Chicago Illinois USA 946 05/18/2012 8MOS 3 5000.00
Luke Thomas Salem Oregon USA 154 04/08/2012 8MOS 4 3800.00
Blaine Barcus Sugarland Texas USA 151 04/13/2012 8MOS 5 2800.00
Lyn Wechsler Rochester New York USA 669 05/25/2012 8MOS 5 2800.00
Glen Collins Edmonton Alberta CANADA 497 03/27/2012 8MOS 7 2100.00
Dustin Morris S St Paul Minnesota USA 234 04/17/2012 8MOS 7 2100.00

A midwest regional event holds no weight but some tournament with all unknown players 5,000 miles away does?

Also, on the 'issue' of Mike Fieldhammer. I just find it ironic that someone that states they are a Pool Instructor or whatever title he gives to himself, plays in the Open division of a league. To me, it would be the same as discounting someone that declares themself as a pro in a foreign country and allowing them to play in the Open.

And since we are now naming names - Dick's Picks has a nice track record in the Open Teams as well. Again - this was from a 10 minute look thru of the archives.

I also don't think you are thinking thru the Taiwanese situation correctly in regards to the Men's Open Singles 8 ball from your comments here. I won't make it public as I would like to talk to you about it first. Let me know when a good time for you is to chat.

Also - where do I send my resume to apply for BCAPL consultant? :smile:

Oh - and what was the good suggestion you read?

Last edited:

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
Up to this point, I've kept quiet on this and am patiently waiting for Mark Griffin's official response...

I would however ask that Mark think very carefully about the precedent he could possibly be setting here in regards to being able to deny players money after they had been confirmed that they were "ok" to compete in the open division and were then allowed to play in the event all the way to completion, only to then be told they would not be paid.

This is a very slippery slope to start down...

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Yes I didn't want to single a player out cause my looking thru the archives took all of about 10 minutes. And I wasn't stating it was a consipiracy theory. Just pointing out that many players 'slip' throught the system one way or another. But yes it was Dustin and he played in the OPEN singles. I now your brain is probably still fried from the long weeks of the BCAPL but 7/8 is two spots. :p Glen and Dustin got 7/8

I played Dustin for 7/8. Couldn't understand why he seemed so angry to lose at that point in the event. I am more impressed to find he won the APA National 6/7 singles event in April for $10K. Guess I don't play so bad after all!

And since we are now naming names - Dick's Picks has a nice track record in the Open Teams as well. Again - this was from a 10 minute look thru of the archives.

A quick history. I played on both teams you are referring to. Our team this year was formed with THREE players (who played every round) who did not participate on the 2010 Nationals team. Only Jim Moore and me participated. Dick Pickle is our sponsor, not a player. Our finish tied for 33rd doesn't seem to qualify as a great track record. The three new players each are league players and have a track record known to the BCAPL. As we play out of the Las Vegas Cue Club, we are under the very careful and watchful eye of Bill Stock. Remember, the Henderson CSI offices are only ten miles away. Don't want to make too much of your comment but there are way too many "teams" playing at the Nationals who slip under the radar. Wish we were one of them.

Lyn

Roadie

Banned
Up to this point, I've kept quiet on this and am patiently waiting for Mark Griffin's official response...

I would however ask that Mark think very carefully about the precedent he could possibly be setting here in regards to being able to deny players money after they had been confirmed that they were "ok" to compete in the open division and were then allowed to play in the event all the way to completion, only to then be told they would not be paid.

This is a very slippery slope to start down...

Agreed. Especially since there is opportunity in Asia to end up with hundreds of teams to play in the BCAPL's events.

Also considering the fact that other countries have built super-teams throughout the entire history of the BCA and VNEA events any changes to combat this should take effect next year and not penalize this year's teams.

The only exception would be possibly if the players making up the Open level team were members of a professional level league. After all you can't very well play in professional level events and expect to be considered an open level amateur player no matter where you are from.

If memory serves me in recent years the British have also sent super teams that swept the open divisions. Open to correction of course.