Loose pocket and rail question

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Hi! I've done quite a few searches for this information, but haven't seen the answers to my questions. Please be gentle. LOL

I have an AMF Playmaster that I bought in 2002. It was recovered in 2004 or so (due to lines in the cloth created by incorrectly joined slate pieces). That was the last work done on the table.

I discovered that one of my pockets, a "hood shielded leather pocket if the replacement parts I'm seeing at Seybert's are right, has come loose. I don't see how to tighten it. Can anyone help? I don't think it's loose enough to affect play, but I don't want continued jiggling to irreparably damage the joints, etc. Should I jam a shim up there and just increase the tension? Total movement at the back of the pocket may be an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch of play.

I then thought I would have the table serviced and recovered, which raised another question. If I want to replace the rails, how do I know what profile to get? The rails seem to play reasonably well, but at 13 years old, are they due for replacement?

Thank you for any help you can give.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
The pockets are held on by bolts, or screws, one on each 'arm' of the pocket, which fit into the end of the rail. They go up from the bottom of the rail, and into the pocket arm. One of yours has probably just come loose a little. Some tables have slates that are cut so that you can reach the screw from underneath. Most do not, and if you can't see the screw from underneath, the only way to tighten them is to remove the rails and flip them over. If the rubber is bad, or going bad, it could be replaced, but if it isn't, I wouldn't replace it just because it is old. You can measure it to get the profile, but most likely it's k66.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Thank you!

No, I can't see the screw from underneath. I'm sure I want to take the rails that adjoin that pocket off. I don't know what the potential pitfalls are, so unless it will damage things to leave it a little loose, I think that's what I'll do.

I really appreciate the response, and advice on the rails.