BCA Open team from TAIWAN disqualified?

Shaka

Registered
I noticed this morning that the 1st and 2nd place winners of BCA Men's Open singles were from the same Taiwan Team "Taiwan Typhoon".

I just checked to see if they are destroying the competition and now can't find the team name as they have been deleted/renamed "DQ". Even if the single champions partied and didn't show up for their matches it should be forfeits.

Any one know the story?
Does it affect the singles outcome?

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I didnt have a problem finding their team? The team is Taiwan Typhoon and they have a match at 2pm today in the 8 Ball Advanced Team event.

So as far as disqualified, I think you just looked in the wrong division.

JC

Coos Cues
I noticed this morning that the 1st and 2nd place winners of BCA Men's Open singles were from the same Taiwan Team "Taiwan Typhoon".

I just checked to see if they are destroying the competition and now can't find the team name as they have been deleted/renamed "DQ". Even if the single champions partied and didn't show up for their matches it should be forfeits.

Any one know the story?
Does it affect the singles outcome?

How exactly did these guys qualify for the BCA national event?

JC

Shaka

Registered
I can see them now as they must have got bumped up into Advanced. I still see there old OPEN spot under team name "DQ". Not nearly that exciting as I hoped.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They needed to get bumped badly. Their 4th best player took 17th and their 3rd best guy cashing in advanced.

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Taiwan

JC

That is a good question? I would like to know that also. I was one win from the final board when I had to face Wayne Huang. He Is better than the pro's. He should have been in the Grand Master's and probably would have won that. Take a look at his scores. Most player only won 1 game, many 0 games, the most 3 and I think that was against his teammate. Funny they all have american type first names. Mark, Wayne, etc. But in Taiwan this is not the case? Could just be the translation? Their home town in Taiwan is known because of the great Typhoon that hit in 1986 I believe it was. So their team name is Taiwan Typhoon. The typhoon was call "Typhoon Wayne"? LIke in "Wayne Huang". I think they took home about 25k. Of course one of their teamates is in the Grand Masters this year and of course this years winners will be moved up, but too late as they already got away with it.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clip from another thread

Hey Shaka, may have gotten a bit more interesting. This was in the thread about BCA experiences. Sounds like your guys!!

Speaking of BAD experiences....Well I didn't experience it, but a good friend of mine did this past week.

Several years ago, he moved from my home state, back to Taiwan and being the pool enthusiast that he is, continued to play and got a BCA team together to come to Vegas and play.

They won the Advanced Team events. 1st place. They were placed in this division as a result of the following.

Two of their team members came in 1st and 2nd in the Mens Open Division.

Here is the kicker......BCA wouldn't pay them for their finish in the Open Singles. They said they were TOO good! They lost out on around $17000.

I never knew that there was a playing requirement prerequisite for playing the BCA tournament if you have never played there before!

I know of plenty of individuals that have won BCA Junior Championships and that have played in the Open Singles and have won and never got penalized for shooting too good. Much less, lost their winnings.

Also know people that have been semi pros, haven't played for a while...gotten taken out of Master status and allowed to play in the Open and ended up winning that division. They still paid them.

I think they got a raw deal.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Hey Shaka, may have gotten a bit more interesting. This was in the thread about BCA experiences. Sounds like your guys!!

Speaking of BAD experiences....Well I didn't experience it, but a good friend of mine did this past week.

Several years ago, he moved from my home state, back to Taiwan and being the pool enthusiast that he is, continued to play and got a BCA team together to come to Vegas and play.

They won the Advanced Team events. 1st place. They were placed in this division as a result of the following.

Two of their team members came in 1st and 2nd in the Mens Open Division.

Here is the kicker......BCA wouldn't pay them for their finish in the Open Singles. They said they were TOO good! They lost out on around $17000.

I never knew that there was a playing requirement prerequisite for playing the BCA tournament if you have never played there before!

I know of plenty of individuals that have won BCA Junior Championships and that have played in the Open Singles and have won and never got penalized for shooting too good. Much less, lost their winnings.

Also know people that have been semi pros, haven't played for a while...gotten taken out of Master status and allowed to play in the Open and ended up winning that division. They still paid them.

I think they got a raw deal.

From looking at the brackets and the scores, its highly unlikely that these two players were even close to being considered Open players.

I feel it takes more than just the BCAPL for the "checks and balances" to ensure a player is rated properly. First, it should be that players owns integrity that stops them from trying to enter a lower division, second it should be the League Operator for reporting the proper "Known Ability", third it should be the Regional Operator for verifying, and then finally it should be the BCAPL. If a player lacks the integrity, and the League Operator is not designating the right division, then the Regional and the BCAPL cant really do their job and thats how players sneak in to the Open Division.

Now I am a Regional Master, havent played in Vegas since 1997 and Im not listed on the Advanced or Masters list on the BCAPL website. So does this mean I can play in the open class? No, it means I know what my playing ability and when I sign up for the 2013 event, I will contact the BCAPL and inform them that I am not on either list and give them my information so they can make a determination so this would not happen to me.

I think that they should have thought about what their actual ability is and signed up for the proper division to begin with. If it is true that the BCAPL did not pay them, then good job BCAPL and hopefully there is a nice little write up on AZ on this particular incident to show others that its not worth trying to slip through the cracks.

So did they get a raw deal? I dont think so, they got what they deserved if they didnt get paid.

Now the people that got the raw deal was the 20 or so players that they beat in the in the singles open division tournament. Maybe that 18k should be split up between the people that they beat out of the tournament, or even better would be for the 20 players to get their entry paid for the next BCAPL Championships and then split up the remaining money equally. That way they could use that money to participate in the 2013 event.

Regardless, Im sure the BCAPL will do everything in their powers to make things right.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
These guys were amazing players. I spoke to one of the girls with them that spoke english before my match for 33rd place in the OPEN. She stated that they came from all over the country and it was an 8 hour car ride for any of them to play together. She said that most of them only met up at big tournaments that the government would send them too (pay all expenses).

I played great against the guy Leo Yu who got 17th place. He broke and ran 4 of his 5 racks, 2 of which were super strong outs. His 5th win I hooked him on the 8-ball and he played a sick kick shot cross bank. He had to spin the cueball a ton just to get the hit on the 8 and long rail cross banked it in the corner at pocket speed. I threw up on the ground immediately after.

His only good spoken english was immediately after when he said, "So sorry, so sorry, so sorry!"

A few nights before I played Yeo, I watched his teammate play Danny Smith a race to 10 in 10-ball for a Nickel. He destroyed him 10-4 in about 40 minutes. It was pretty sick.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I know the BCAPL is doing what they can to validate players, but with this pattern repeating itself again and again, how can we not just make a simple rule.

All International Players should have to play in the Advanced or Above Divisions Immediately!

It wouldn't be okay for the entire United States to function as 1 giant league and pull 5 players from anywhere and say they qualified together, right? So why can they do that in their own countries.

Portugal robbed the BCAPL 2 years ago, Taiwan this year. Darren Appleton had a team do the same thing years ago as well.

I watched Leo's loss on Tuesday Morning. His opponent ran out from everywhere and he scratched on the break twice to lose out in 17th place. Both scratches the cueball planted dead center table and got kicked in.

The Taiwan Typhoon was bumped into the Advanced Team Division and destroyed many good teams, and they had 4 OPEN players on the roster. http://ctsondemand.com/PlayerSearch.aspx?TeamName=taiwan

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCAPL Nationals - Today, 04:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watchez,

I appreciate your comments.

First the dates: The move to the Rio was not done without serious consideration. Most players and teams are embracing the changes. Those that are not happy about the changes have mostly come around when they understand the facts.

The rates will be attractive (they will be published in July sometime) and there are a lot of advantages for the Rio. Too many people are talking about something without really knowing the facts.

There are a lot of reasons for moving and we expect to have 40 dedicated mini tournament tables + more practice tables. Plus free shuttle to strip.

We are sorry July mights not work out for some - but it is only a week and I honestly feel that any who go from a 6,500 man event to an 800 man event will be VERY disappointed.

Besides, there are other things that might be happening in May that are a better option.

We will be releasing the FACTS in the near future.

2nd: I would like to hear Mark G. words on the Taiwanese situation before I comment.

We will be releasing a statement after we get the office back together - since right now everything is in boxes. Should be about a week or maybe touch longer. I talked with many of the affected parties and told them middle of next week or so. They were OK with that - so I think that all others should be to.

I am not planning on responding to a lot of opionions and suggestions at this time - we have work to do to get back up and running.

So - lets try to keep the speculation to a minimum.

Mark Griffin. CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez
The only people complaining about the July dates are the Canadians. So be it --- for everyone else, it will be a plus. And getting out of the Riviera is a bigger plus.

I would like to hear Mark G. words on the Taiwanese situation before I comment.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark G.,

First off, I want to thank you and the CSI crew and anybody else that helps pull off this great event each year. Seriously, 6,000 plus pool players and you guys have everything organised beautifully. We even get texts before and after each match.

I know you can't keep tabs on the whole world and it's very sad that some folks take advantage of it. I'm glad your crew is looking into these matters and hopefully come up with a good resolution.

Let us know what you find out and decide to do. I'm looking forward to playing at The Rio next year, my wife and I already went there and picked up players cards to get promos in the mail.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These guys were amazing players. I spoke to one of the girls with them that spoke english before my match for 33rd place in the OPEN. She stated that they came from all over the country and it was an 8 hour car ride for any of them to play together. She said that most of them only met up at big tournaments that the government would send them too (pay all expenses).

I played great against the guy Leo Yu who got 17th place. He broke and ran 4 of his 5 racks, 2 of which were super strong outs. His 5th win I hooked him on the 8-ball and he played a sick kick shot cross bank. He had to spin the cueball a ton just to get the hit on the 8 and long rail cross banked it in the corner at pocket speed. I threw up on the ground immediately after.

His only good spoken english was immediately after when he said, "So sorry, so sorry, so sorry!"

A few nights before I played Yeo, I watched his teammate play Danny Smith a race to 10 in 10-ball for a Nickel. He destroyed him 10-4 in about 40 minutes. It was pretty sick.

Hey Jerry, I saw the match against Danny. It was actually for $200. Kirkwood was trying to get a sidebet in but the guy couldn't understand english. LOL, saved Jason some money.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

JC

Could it be they Paid Entree Fee, and Joined BCAPL? Just like a guy in my community did to play in the BCAPL Thing this past week, even thought he was not a BACPL MEMBER, and Never Playing in ANY LEAGUE the last 12 months.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
You guys can speculate all you want on the quality of play that these Taiwan guys portrayed. However, they played last year and were categorized correctly based on their finish.

Everyone that loses, (seems like) loses to someone that they believe should not have been in their category and should have been rated higher. ;)

I know that I have spent many a year playing the Open Singles, only to get bumped into the Masters because of my finish. Then for the next 2 years, get beat up by players that were a better caliper of player and then return to the Open for another try. I didn't cry, I just gave it my best and enjoyed the play, my friends and atmosphere that the league creates in Vegas.

It seems like the Masters is a place for people that play all the time, whereas the Open consists more of players that occasionally play. I feel anyone (with maybe a few exceptions) that finishes higher than the final 8 cannot really compete with players in the Masters division! Much less win that division. I cannot comment on the Advance division as I am not familiar with this section.

BCAPL has had winners in the Open Singles consisting of;
Jesse Bowman
Bobby Pickle
Ronnie Wiseman
Danny Diliberto
Nick Varner
Jimmy Reid
Justin Bergman-runner-up
Mike Massey-runner-up To name a few.

BCAPL breeds Junior National Champions all the time. They get to play in the Open Division! They're definitely are better than your normal league player, yet still get the chance.

Anytime you have a NON HANDICAPPED league, you will have players that are going to play better than your normal player and when initially playing in Vegas, will play in the Open. Some will excel and maybe win, some will finish lower in the standings. the following year they will be placed in the correct players section.

BCAPL has always been a step above the other leagues and has attracted a better quality of player (IMHO) simply because of the challenge it presents to the players. If you can't "grow a pair" and accept the challenge....join a handicapped league. They will keep those big bad players that shoot well, out of your category. :)

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
klockdoc,

Unless they went under aliases, only the "weak link" on their team played at the BCA before, and he is probably only Advanced level. The other 4 are at least Master level players.

El Diablo

Registered
The fact of the matter is that they had several pro level players playing in the open division, which is not fair. The same team last year had Rain Chiang on it, how far did he go in the 10-Ball U.S. Open? If the BCA intends on having several divisions based on level of play, they need to do something different to ensure this doesn't happen. They need to promote players to higher divisions based on team finishes as well as singles.