Break cues

Hugh Jass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for a new break cue, have heard a lot about the Predator II and Predator III, has anyone used either of these? what is the difference between the 2 of them?

Other ideas for good breaking cues?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for a new break cue, have heard a lot about the Predator II and Predator III, has anyone used either of these? what is the difference between the 2 of them?

Lomax would be my choice next would be a Mezz

Last edited:

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been happy with my budget Player's JB5 with a Samsara tip. I have trouble justifying paying a lot more for a break cue. I have tried other more expensive model's and they really didn't make a hugh jass difference. Certainly not enough to spend that much on them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bought a J&J with the wood-screw joint for less than C-note. Works great. I just can't see paying big $$$ for a jump/break cue.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a new 'fat ass' thick, heavy, phenolic one pc ferrule/tip break shaft that screws right on a old sneaky I had laying around. Works just fine for $40 shipped.

I will never spend cue cake for a breaker. Never....:groucho:

-Kat,

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used both the Predator BK 2 and BK 3 (plus a bunch of others).
Never could warm up to them.
Got a Mezz Power Break II, that's the shorter one, and I'm happy as a rat in a ____ house.

Very awesome cues. Almost too powerful. And I love the original tip.
You kinda have to back off a little compared to other break cues.
Which is actually great for both ball control and your accuracy in general.

You can adjust the weight and it doesn't all have to be in your stroking hand.
Some of it is right in the middle of the butt section.

http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I have used both the Predator BK 2 and BK 3 (plus a bunch of others).
Never could warm up to them.
Got a Mezz Power Break II, that's the shorter one, and I'm happy as a rat in a ____ house.

I've got the Mezz as well, switched from the BK2, and I would definitely recommend the Mezz.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all break cues are constructed the same way.
As for production cues, two brands are clearly superior. Joss Thor and Mezz KAI.
BK2 and BK3 I`ve seen crack, split and chip. They are simply overpriced and the craftmanship is so-so.
I think Alex Brick makes beautifull break cues. But the best bang for you buck must be Bob Flynn`s Merlin break cue, a custom break cue for around $300!
www.denalicues.com

Last edited:

gilbert29

Registered
I've got the Mezz as well, switched from the BK2, and I would definitely recommend the Mezz.

I have owned the BK2,BK3,Andy Gilbert J/B, Mezz power break 2 and Mezz Kai. I sold the BK2 and BK3 the PB2 surpassed the predators by a long shot and the Kai breaks better than the PB2 with more control I still own the Gilbert J/b just because I shoot with Andys cues and I like how it jumps but it dosent compare to the mezz cues. I do have the pro H shaft on the Kai and I couldnt count the times I have made 5 balls on the break on a 9' diamond.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all break cues are constructed the same way.
As for production cues, two brands are clearly superior. Joss Thor and Mezz KAI.
BK2 and BK3 I`ve seen crack, split and chip. They are simply overpriced and the craftmanship is so-so.
I think Alex Brick makes beautifull break cues. But the best bang for you buck must be Bob Flynn`s Merlin break cue, a custom break cue for around $300!
www.denalicues.com

For me the Mezz Power Break II works better than the Mezz Kai.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a new 'fat ass' thick, heavy, phenolic one pc ferrule/tip break shaft that screws right on a old sneaky I had laying around. Works just fine for $40 shipped.

I will never spend cue cake for a breaker. Never....:groucho:

-Kat,

I agree that anything with a phenolic tip works. Only thing I think you miss with your setup is the jump section,

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deep Impact and Deep Impact Pro are different shafts.
Some people like the Power Break II, but most people find the short butt a bit weird.

I found the short butt weird at first but now that I'm used to it, it works very much as advertised and absolutely perfectly.

Plus it makes it - in my opinion - better balanced from other break cues I've tried.

I understand very well that they would do this as it clearly makes a great break cue even better.

Besides it helps making you consistently choke up on the grip like some pros do...ehem...
https://youtu.be/WAEnKCL3stU

Add: matter of fact when I went back to my old break cue after getting used to the Mezz PBP 2 I could really feel for the first time that vibration they're talking about. This really makes a difference.

Last edited:

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've tried a lot of break cues to include both of the Predators and to me the best is the Mezz Power Break Pro with the Deep Impact Pro H shaft.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bk3

I'm a big fan of my BK3 with a samsara break tip. It's got plenty of power and the balance and grip suits me well, but had to change the phenolic tip fro more control.

Breakhuizen

Registered
I use a BK2 with a Samsara tip.
I have tired a BK3 and although I liked it overall I prefer the wooden shaft on the BK2.
The BK3 has a more plastic feel to it.
Mine is just under 19 Oz. and a bit lighter then my playing cue.
I like the low deflection shaft and the control it gives me. It goes pretty straight even if you don't hit center ball.
It makes it much easier to control the white imo.