Leon Sly Question

pk249

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leon Sly Sneake Pete in moderate condition with two shafts, all reasonably well used. $250 including shipping - is this good value? Considering whether to make an offer.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a pretty good deal, although there was a rumor that Sly doesn't build all his cues and he was contracting out Harris cue company to do the work, I have no idea if there was any truth to that, although based on Leons response here on AZ, and then someone posted screenshots of a conversation between himself and Leon, that was enough for me to decide to never buy a cue from him.

Sure, here is Bigfoot admitting to accepting cues from someone else. I wonder if he will sue himself. I wanted to join his Facebook group and he actively blocked me, so I guess he does not want to talk about it.

The truly sad part is that the falling out was over $300.

Rob certainly has issues, but Leon definitely paid him to build full cues, and not just "five Q's" - I will work on getting the photos we have of cues laying in the Harris shop, ready to send out for finish. I don't know about which individual cues we're done, but it is a fact that there are Harris cues with a Sly logo on them. Not plain janes, either...

A friend of mine also saw these, to the point of noticing one of these cues for sale at a dealer's table at SBE, and asked if it was a Rob Harris. The dealer, naturally, turned up his nose and said it was the cue of another maker. Odd, since we saw that cue 60 days prior with no finish on it at the Harris shop.

I think there is another maker who took the same service from Rob. Easy enough to pass this off, as Rob wrote many CNC programs for other cuemakers anyway.

FDfePwZ.jpg

If you are familiar with "cuemaker time" and how that works, you can imagine what "five" really means.

If you bought a Sly in the last 24 months, you should really get in writing that he built it for you. He's already dodged answering the question publicly, but a denial will help you if you want a refund and go to court about it

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A Leon Sly "sneaky" would be closer to a wrapless cue, than a chopped up house stick.

My Sly "sneaky" is worth $650, made from a blank using an exotic wood, and has a unique butt cap.
Only has 1 shaft.

I almost sold it for $450 to get some quick cash, but stopped myself because it plays too good.

All that drama is unfortunate between the 2 cue makers.
I don't know either of them to take any sides concerning the matter,
given the evidence presented.
You'd have to believe one of them over the other. I'm not able to do that myself.
I won't buy a high end cue from either maker,
but either one of their "sneaky" cues for $250 is a good deal if in excellent condition.
I do know that my Sly cue has gotten many compliments, and won plenty of games.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also the Leon Sly/Robert Harris stuff came out way after Sly had slowed down on making sneakies and I don’t recall there ever being any indication that a Sly sneaky is anything but 100% made by Leon Sly. You shouldn’t blink at $250, even if you just want to flip it.

I have a plain Sly 4 point/4 veneer with no inlays that I love.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A sneaky for $250 is a deal, no matter who made it. This is just silly. Scruggs sneakies weren't made by him and they are still sell for more than a new Frey, even though he made both.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
463   0   0
Sly cues

it is an embarrassment to see what goes on here sometimes
all he wanted to know is if it is a good value for the price

no need to jump all over it with negativity when you do not know anything about it except what someone posted

I had Leon make me a cue a while back and it is a great cue and I know he made it as I saw it while it was being made

That being said do not let folks force your decision based on that posting

I would pick it up in a heartbeat for that price

good luck