shane van boening

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
seems like his dominance has slowed down a bit, still one of the best, but is it age, desire, maybe equipment? watched his match against filler and he missed a couple of shots he makes with his eyes closed normally.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yahinqwAhDE&t=2092s
and hes lost a few other matches like this, his body language is different. what you think?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
After a lifetime, I suspect Shane is getting a bit burnt out about the game, Kind of like that line in the original twilight zone episode with Jack Klugman & Jonathan Winters...pointing out that there's more to life than just pool, Shane may be wanting to sample more of those other things that life offers.

After all, he really doesn't have a need to prove anything, does he?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After a lifetime, I suspect Shane is getting a bit burnt out about the game, Kind of like that line in the original twilight zone episode with Jack Klugman & Jonathan Winters...pointing out that there's more to life than just pool, Shane may be wanting to sample more of those other things that life offers.

After all, he really doesn't have a need to prove anything, does he?

Shane leads a very full life. He ain't no dummy. I hope I can play this good when I grow up. :wink:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Shane doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. I don't think it's Shane dropping off as much as other players have caught up. There are some fine players out there today. SVB will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Shane doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. I don't think it's Shane dropping off as much as other players have caught up. There are some fine players out there today. SVB will go down as one of the greatest of all time.

No doubt about it that Shane is among the best ever. The rest? All we can do is guess... Shane is what? 38-39 now? Not old, but definitely no longer a kid.

I'm 76...my young female physicians assistant (with great legs) once told me I wasn't as spry as I used to be. Well, DUH!....as the kids say. Some physical things do begin happening as a guy reaches near 40. Father time is a cruel bastid...

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Desire is worth a lot of fargo points.

You make your shot and you get jacked up over a ball for your next shot. If you are burned out you think "Great, why did I have to stop over a ball? Now it's that much harder for me to run out. Sigh..." When you are full of desire you think "Now's my chance to set myself apart from the rest who wouldn't be up to this challenge. Watch this!" Who would you rather bet on?

Now the amazing thing about SVB is that he's been burned out for 2-3 years now, and he still has a 825ish Fargo Rate. That number bakes in his waning fire! Others like Shaw, Filler, and Chang, seem to be bursting with energy and are excited to have made the top of the mountain. How good does SVB play when he can be irritable and fatigued and still run along side of them?

This is the dangerous part of betting against him in a race to 100. He may get grumpy about short sets and he may not feel he has much to prove, but in a long set he might just get fired up and it could be a tough day for anyone who thinks he's an old lion. Then again, his days won't last forever, and sooner or later he'll try to fire it up and find that it doesn't burn as bright as it used to.

Regardless, ton of respect to this man who is on the Mr. Rushmore of modern pool.

jason

Silver Member
No doubt about it that Shane is among the best ever. The rest? All we can do is guess... Shane is what? 38-39 now? Not old, but definitely no longer a kid.

I'm 76...my young female physicians assistant (with great legs) once told me I wasn't as spry as I used to be. Well, DUH!....as the kids say. Some physical things do begin happening as a guy reaches near 40. Father time is a cruel bastid...

I'm 50. Not a spring chicken anymore. Shane has probably seen his best years, but he has some good ones ahead of him too. He will have another push or second wind I believe. He just has too much talent, but he will need a few rolls this time around.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Desire is worth a lot of fargo points.

You make your shot and you get jacked up over a ball for your next shot. If you are burned out you think "Great, why did I have to stop over a ball? Now it's that much harder for me to run out. Sigh..." When you are full of desire you think "Now's my chance to set myself apart from the rest who wouldn't be up to this challenge. Watch this!" Who would you rather bet on?

Now the amazing thing about SVB is that he's been burned out for 2-3 years now, and he still has a 825ish Fargo Rate. That number bakes in his waning fire! Others like Shaw, Filler, and Chang, seem to be bursting with energy and are excited to have made the top of the mountain. How good does SVB play when he can be irritable and fatigued and still run along side of them?

This is the dangerous part of betting against him in a race to 100. He may get grumpy about short sets and he may not feel he has much to prove, but in a long set he might just get fired up and it could be a tough day for anyone who thinks he's an old lion. Then again, his days won't last forever, and sooner or later he'll try to fire it up and find that it doesn't burn as bright as it used to.

Regardless, ton of respect to this man who is on the Mr. Rushmore of modern pool.
Just curious, who makes that Mt Rushmore of 4 pool players (eliminating snooker and 3-C) for 50-100 years ago and a separate 4 for the past 50 years? My old-timers list would be Greenleaf, Mosconi, Lassiter, and Fats (just can’t justify leaving him off it). Crane would be the next that comes to mind.

For the past 50 years, it’s a lot tougher. Certainly Reyes and Strickland. After those two, it gets real tough to choose from SVB, Sigel, Miz, Varner, Souquet, Hall, Parica, Archer, and I’m sure I’m leaving out a number of others who would deserve consideration.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mt. Rushmore.

Just curious, who makes that Mt Rushmore of 4 pool players (eliminating snooker and 3-C) for 50-100 years ago and a separate 4 for the past 50 years? My old-timers list would be Greenleaf, Mosconi, Lassiter, and Fats (just can’t justify leaving him off it). Crane would be the next that comes to mind.

For the past 50 years, it’s a lot tougher. Certainly Reyes and Strickland. After those two, it gets real tough to choose from SVB, Sigel, Miz, Varner, Souquet, Hall, Parica, Archer, and I’m sure I’m leaving out a number of others who would deserve consideration.

Uh oh, I've officially hijacked the thread. Mt. Rushmore threads have a way of getting carried away! :)

For me it can't be just about pool greatness, because there are too many greats to whittle it down. How can I pick between Nick and Mike, or Ralf and Alex, etc. I have to pick those who for me made the most memorable impresssion, i.e. who not only played great but left a stamp on the game or on me personally.

The players of the modern era of pool that have impacted me the most personally are as follows (I couldn't pick just four):

Nick Varner.
Efren Reyes.
Ralf Soquet.
Shane Van Boening.
Alex P.

Honorable mention: Siming Chen, she's so amazing, I think she plays closer to the way pool should look than anyone!

There are literally dozens more that could earn their way on any top 5 list, from Rempe and Hall, to Filler and Shaw. I can't even list them all. So I can only list my personal favorites based on attitude and character.

PS- I'm good with your old timer list!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh oh, I've officially hijacked the thread. Mt. Rushmore threads have a way of getting carried away! :)

For me it can't be just about pool greatness, because there are too many greats to whittle it down. How can I pick between Nick and Mike, or Ralf and Alex, etc. I have to pick those who for me made the most memorable impresssion, i.e. who not only played great but left a stamp on the game or on me personally.

The players of the modern era of pool that have impacted me the most personally are as follows (I couldn't pick just four):

Nick Varner.
Efren Reyes.
Ralf Soquet.
Shane Van Boening.
Alex P.

Honorable mention: Siming Chen, she's so amazing, I think she plays closer to the way pool should look than anyone!

There are literally dozens more that could earn their way on any top 5 list, from Rempe and Hall, to Filler and Shaw. I can't even list them all. So I can only list my personal favorites based on attitude and character.

PS- I'm good with your old timer list!
Filler, Siming and Shaw way too early in their careers to consider on that list, and even Alex P for that matter, but I understand where you’re coming from.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
top of the list players to me are ones that pay their own entry fees and bet their own cash.

they can be the greatest skilled pool players without that, but not top of the list.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't he like fishing?
Should be close to ice out and walleye.
Maybe he's sharpening hooks more than sharpening his pool game.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm wasn’t that long ago he crushed Dennis in a race to 120... I’d say he’s still got it... hell they changed the rules because of him. Everything today is designed to level the field which in short races anybody can win. I miss winner break

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Chris, imo the most impactful players of the modern era have been Lassiter, Mizerak, Strickland, Sigel, Shane and Reyes. Pick any four from that group. Harold Worst was not around long enough (only five or six years in pool) to have made a lasting impact. Varner was a great player but always seemed to be a little in Sigel's shadow. As far as Fat's is concerned he would need a mountain of his own! He was by far the most famous pool player of all time, even more well known than Mosconi ever was. Fat's became an international celebrity, with a following everywhere he went. He was A-list all the way!

Last edited:

jason

Silver Member
As far as Fat's is concerned he would need a mountain of his own!

I can just hear fats commenting about this conversation. Something to the effect that Everest wouldn't be big enough to place his likeness.:wink:

These conversations about the GOAT or GOATS are always an opinion in any sport. There can be many discussions and viewpoints and they all can be right. Still fun to talk about.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Filler, Siming and Shaw way too early in their careers to consider on that list, and even Alex P for that matter, but I understand where you’re coming from.

But you put SVB on your candidate list, and he's 5 years younger than Alex.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
seems like his dominance has slowed down a bit, still one of the best, but is it age, desire, maybe equipment? watched his match against filler and he missed a couple of shots he makes with his eyes closed normally.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yahinqwAhDE&t=2092s
and hes lost a few other matches like this, his body language is different. what you think?

Interesting that you mentioned this. The same exact thing has happened to me, it makes me feel better to know that Shane is almost the same as me!

Cuebuddy>>>Almost.:eek:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The SD Kid

Shane is a smart guy and has built a lasting pool legacy.. I hope he can walk away when he wants to and enter a tournament when he is bored or feeling on fire.

A fella can fish for a long time and as long as he stays away from tournament fishing it should always be fun for him. Pull up a chair, bait up or put your favorite jig on and stare down the hole and fish.

As long as he is making money he will probably stay with it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hardly think he's losing anything except practice time ,
I'd say put enough money infront of him and a race to 100 and you will likely see Shane in top form
I do believe Shane ran about the same maybe a tad better break and run pct against DO as Joshua did against James , and that was late last yr I believe, I highly doubt he has fallen off a cliff since then