Tuning the stroke

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the tendency to jerk my stroke on power shots (I'm an elbow dropper). I'm feeling that I can't get power from cueball If I'm not forcing.

Can you recommend any drills or solutions to fix the jerk stroke?

Here is a link with me performing the Tor Lowry 1000 balls drill, I actually made around 1800 balls.

https://youtu.be/8GFpxmYjOm8

When I practice without object ball, I feeling that I have a more correct stroke, but when I'm in tournament play, I jerk the stroke when I need power on cueball.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
One thing that is apparent is that you take a very short backstroke. Why don't you try lengthening it out you are over compensating with the speed of your forward stroke and the elbow drop for such a short backstroke.

I have the tendency to jerk my stroke on power shots (I'm an elbow dropper). I'm feeling that I can't get power from cueball If I'm not forcing.

Can you recommend any drills or solutions to fix the jerk stroke?

Here is a link with me performing the Tor Lowry 1000 balls drill, I actually made around 1800 balls.

https://youtu.be/8GFpxmYjOm8

When I practice without object ball, I feeling that I have a more correct stroke, but when I'm in tournament play, I jerk the stroke when I need power on cueball.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that is apparent is that you take a very short backstroke. Why don't you try lengthening it out you are over compensating with the speed of your forward stroke and the elbow drop for such a short backstroke.

Did you see the shots starting to 7 minute? There I shoot couple power draw shots. Is that backstroke enough for a power draw?

I was thought that if you want the cue ball to travel a little you should have a short backstroke, if you want a power shot you go with longer backstroke. In other words backstroke should be somehow equal with follow through length.

I'll try to get a longer backstroke and to slow down the rhythm. Thank you.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I am at work and don't have a lot of time for a in depth review.

Did you see the shots starting to 7 minute? There I shoot couple power draw shots. Is that backstroke enough for a power draw?

I was thought that if you want the cue ball to travel a little you should have a short backstroke, if you want a power shot you go with longer backstroke. In other words backstroke should be somehow equal with follow through length.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Had a chance to look.

You should work on lowering your tip placement more for the draw shots, this way you don't need to hit the shots at break speed to draw back.

Your backstroke is long enough but that extended follow through is exaggerated and IMHO unnecessary.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Think of that stroke as having three parts

Do not start like a drag car

Use a “rolling” start

Walk out the gate
Stride out to sprint
Maintain to the finish

That walkout is a couple inches of travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the disadvantages of not using an object ball is that you don't get to see the result of where you are placing your tip. I agree with Tony here in that if you're trying to shoot a power draw shot, you won't accomplish it with your current tip placement. So when you finally do place an actual object ball there, you will probably find yourself getting frustrated and maybe even jerking your stroke, because that cue ball isn't going to come back much, if at all.

Looks more like a power stop shot to me, which is a totally unnecessary shot to even practice.