silicone impregnated cloths for shafts

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think anything silicon and cues, is not a match. Silicon just causes too many headaches when it comes to glues and finish. I have seen where silicon from a car polish used on a cue and ferrule, effected the ability of a replacement tip to be installed. Required a new ferrule to be installed. The tips kept coming off after about 1 to 3 weeks of play.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Similar cloths have been used to "clean" the cue ball during matches. The result is the player cleaning the ball turns the match around and wins while the opponent mis cues several times. I am unsure of the benefit it would have if used on cue shafts. But a pro player pulled this move on someone I know.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar cloths have been used to "clean" the cue ball during matches. The result is the player cleaning the ball turns the match around and wins while the opponent mis cues several times. I am unsure of the benefit it would have if used on cue shafts. But a pro player pulled this move on someone I know.

The yellow ones that I used on my wood shafts years ago made the shaft so slick you almost couldn't hold on to it. Sometimes, when you first put it on, it felt as though your shaft was WAY TOO SLICK until some of it wore off.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
contamination

Not a cue maker. It is my understanding that silicone by nature does not break down. Someone had a thread a few years ago on here about this same topic. In the thread someone spoke of NOT allowing any cues into their shop that had silicone used on them. Every thing that is touched, after touching the silicone shafts, becomes contaminated with silicone. Much the same as sneezing on your hand and spreading a virus. It makes sense. I wouldn't use one.

tsp&b

Silver Member
IMHO... I believe that the dangers of the use of silicone may be grossly over blown. But that said, I personally think "less is more". Just keep your hands and you cue clean and there is no need for anything else.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
do not touch anything with silicone on it to a pool cue.............. just a bad idea

Kim

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used the silicone gun and rod cloth on one of my cues for YEARS...over and over, and it didn't do anything to that cue. I even used the cloth on the butt of my cue. I have had that cue refinished twice over the time I've had it (over 30 years) and it is still in MINT condition.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=251123&highlight=mcdermott

Then the question would be...Did it not do any harm...not saying it helped. The cues are mint because you took care of them not from the silicon cloth. Sound reasonable?