Does anyone know this cue?

Backpocket 1500

AzB Active Member
Found on eBay, looks almost interesting and at the same time it doesn't.
I don't know if the silvery rings are painted?
Never seen a butt bottom screwed on like that.
I'm guessing the cue is painted maple?

Attachments

• s-l400-3.jpg
    s-l400-3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • s-l400-4.jpg
    s-l400-4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,400
  • s-l400-5.jpg
    s-l400-5.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • s-l400-7.jpg
    s-l400-7.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,379

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm guessing the cue is painted maple?

Nope. Paint would have never held up. I would guess, though not positive, that the forearm is ebony, and the buttsleeve black portions are black acrylic. Also, see Chopdoc's reference for earlier discussion.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Most likely ebony. Cool cue.

A similar cue sold very recently for $349 on Ebay. I link that sale in the thread I referenced.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the same cue. Exactly same, holy crap it's a Doc Fry. and Ebony?

Very unlikely a Doc Frye I think. But it is a darn cool cue.

Seller is straight up. I have dealt with him.

I just blew my play money on a Brunswick 26 1/2, so I am not a player on this. I was considering it but spent my cash.

So...go for it!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought was Paradise but I'm certainly no expert. Does kinda look like a Frye also. And, I have seen that type of screw in the butt, can't remember where, though.

Edit: no black paint. LOL!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
My first thought was Paradise but I'm certainly no expert. Does kinda look like a Frye also. And, I have seen that type of screw in the butt, can't remember where, though.

Edit: no black paint. LOL!

Yep, thought of that too, but Frank's standard joint pin was 5/16 X 18, so I eliminated him as a suspect. This one is still a bit of a riddle.

All the best,
WW

Backpocket 1500

AzB Active Member
Cue has a lure to it, I don't know why.
Seller states weight of butt at 16 1/8oz, that does sound like ebony. Also corrected pin size from 5/16 x 18 to 5/16 x 14.

Attachments

• 2018.08.16.03.34.30.JPG
    2018.08.16.03.34.30.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,115

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue has a lure to it, I don't know why.
Seller states weight of butt at 16 1/8oz, that does sound like ebony. Also corrected pin size from 5/16 x 18 to 5/16 x 14.

Yes, it is cool, and looks to be in good shape.

As I said, a similar cue just sold recently for 349. Not identical, but very similar. And the other cue was missing a black joint ring on the shaft. The other cue had a linen wrap and the silver rings were metal, but it is interesting how similar the design is.

It's just "old school cool", I think that is the allure, regardless of the maker. Obviously if it could be associated with a desirable maker the value could be a lot stronger.

Cues like this are fun for collecting and playing because the price point isn't to hard to swallow and it is a standard joint pin so you can always use easily use a modern high performance shaft on it as well.

I guarantee that there were knowledgeable people looking hard at it, one can't help but do that. This is the kind of cue that will catch eyes and gets people looking closely. It ain't the Mona Lisa, it ain't a Bushka, but it certainly is a very cool cue.

I don't know what it is...though I have ideas. But I do like it. Some have zero interest in unknown maker cues. I get that. I am not put off by it, I think it is intriguing.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this post. It's a Rich cue. Model F, Stingray-Jet.

I assume it is in the same catalog as the Starfire-Jet then.

I have been looking for a scan of that catalog or brochure, any chance you have one?

Also, I thought that model had a bumper. Is this maybe an earlier bumperless model, or am I just wrong on that point?

EDIT: I see you posted a catalog while I was posting. I'll have a look.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After looking at the cues and catalog, I will agree that the cue that sold for $349 (and is now for sale again) was a Rich Q Stingray-Jet.

But the cue in question is different.

Look at the joint rings.

Do you have a date on that catalog?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
After looking at the cues and catalog, I will agree that the cue that sold for $349 (and is now for sale again) was a Rich Q Stingray-Jet.

But the cue in question is different.

Look at the joint rings.

Do you have a date on that catalog?

It has the same rings as the Stingray-Rosewood. I believe I'd be safe in saying it probably came with either light or dark joint rings.

Josh

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has the same rings as the Stingray-Rosewood. I believe I'd be safe in saying it probably came with either light or dark joint rings.

Josh

Do you have a date on the catalog posted?

Any maker can do a custom job. Putting different rings on that they already make could easily be done.

There are some questions still. We have two cues we are comparing.

The other cue posted is an exact match for the joint rings in the catalog. And it has metal silver rings in the butt sleeve.

This cue has different joint rings, and it has plastic silver rings in the butt sleeve.

I am thinking either they are from different years, or one of them isn't a Rich Q but rather a copy of the design.

Again, I would love to know the year of the catalog you posted. I have a scan of the 1976 Rick Q catalog.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Do you have a date on the catalog posted?

Any maker can do a custom job. Putting different rings on that they already make could easily be done.

There are some questions still. We have two cues we are comparing.

The other cue posted is an exact match for the joint rings in the catalog. And it has metal silver rings in the butt sleeve.

This cue has different joint rings, and it has plastic silver rings in the butt sleeve.

I am thinking either they are from different years, or one of them isn't a Rich Q but rather a copy of the design.

Again, I would love to know the year of the catalog you posted. I have a scan of the 1976 Rick Q catalog.

The catalog doesn't have a printed date.

Plastic rings makes sense for the date range of the cue (for its styling). My guess, the metal rings would be a later version of the same cue. I would go as far as to say the metal rings would be a better fit, and make more sense, for the custom option. the plastic rings were widely used by every maker in the 60s/70s.

Josh