What is inside of the REVO shaft?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm no place near the point where equipment is holding me back so I'm not in the market for a cue. In a world where people regularly pay thousands for a pretty butt end or $25 for a cube of chalk, spending a few hundred on a good shaft doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Isn't that agains the physics of it?
To have low cue ball squirt, the shaft HAS TO HAVE HIGH DEFLECTION.
The tip deflects off the cue ball before the cue ball deflects off the tip.
Actually, shaft stiffness and CB squirt aren't closely related. It's all about the amount of mass in the front 8" or so of the shaft (the "end mass").

There are plenty of flexible high-squirt shafts and stiff low-squirt shafts. My skinny shaft is very low-squirt, but also very stiff because of its conical taper.

pj
chgo

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't own this shaft nor any Predator products, not even chalk ;) lol

But, what did folks really expect to see inside the shaft. Did they really believe this shaft would be solid metal? How heavy would that be. I'm not sure but I'm guessing more than 4 or 5 ounces.

You want to see what is inside my $400 metal baseball bat (not sure what metal they used as they seem to all use this one or that one, depending on brand)

Well, yep, it's completely hollow. I don't feel cheated because it was made the way it was suppose to in order to provide the best results.

I'm guessing the foam "deadens" the sound a bit and provides a little less "pingy" sound for the user. Who knows for sure but most folks don't want to hit the cue ball and have it sound like a metal baseball bat. Baseball players, however, want that "ping" sound, so different strokes from different folks.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that many guys here dont get that research and development of a new product can be very costly. And the manufacturing price of such product is only small portion of the retail price. In fact as long as Revo is on backorder the price tag of it is TOO LOW from bussiness standpoint. Simple as that. And yes, when competition comes with their carbon shafts the price of such product will definitely come down. But until then Predator and Becue are the only cue manufacturers who offer carbon fiber shafts and they can dictate their prices, they just can sell it at premium price tag because they have premium product. Deal with it :rolleyes:;)

Marek,

Why don’t you just deal with people stating their opinions that the revo is overpriced? You’re always telling everyone why they’re dumb and should just shut up and deal with it. Why don’t you, buddy?

Love,

Lou

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
It would be nice if they had cut the entire shaft in half length wise so we could see the entire construction

^^^^^I was wondering when someone was going to post this. ^^^^^

And...it was a person with 4 previous posts....we ought to be ashamed. :sorry:

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I will say this on the subject of the cost of CF shafts/cues....If I played for a few hours (minimum) with a CF shaft and without a doubt felt like it was the best shaft I have ever used in my life, I certainly would not have a problem with paying $500 for it as long as it came with a lifetime warranty and the company had a good reputation for honoring their warranties.

Maniac

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Look at it this way. The Revo shaft is definitely in the price range for anyone with an iPhone. If you have an iPhone and think that spending $500 for a shaft, the main piece of equipment for your favorite hobby, is too much -- I don't know what to tell you.

Me ----> iPhone user ----> Revo owner

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek,

Why don’t you just deal with people stating their opinions that the revo is overpriced? You’re always telling everyone why they’re dumb and should just shut up and deal with it. Why don’t you, buddy?

Love,

Lou

Lou..do you see a word "dumb" anywhere in my post? Even "shut up" would do..because I dont see neither in my post. Maybe if I get some free time tomorrow I will go over all of my 1000 posts to count how many times I used those words,I kinda suspect that it would be single digit..combined..:confused: Which would be kinda weak for "always" :p
And btw if someone attacks someone or something with unreasonable BS i believe it is a good thing to stand a ground and REact accordingly.
Have a nice and constructive day Lou :thumbup:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, shaft stiffness and CB squirt aren't closely related. It's all about the amount of mass in the front 8" or so of the shaft (the "end mass").

There are plenty of flexible high-squirt shafts and stiff low-squirt shafts. My skinny shaft is very low-squirt, but also very stiff because of its conical taper.

pj
chgo

Never seen a stiff carbon shaft that is low squirt.
I did a lot of testing, a very light stiff shaft had more squirt than a wood shaft. Turned out that it needed flex too. And at the correct frequency.
With my testing, it showed that end mass alone was not the answer. A slightly higher end mass shaft, could have a lower squirt over a lower end mass shaft. Actually the same shaft, but with the end mass altered. Of course too much end mass also made it squirt more. Too stiff was not the answer, and neither was too flexible. Some where in between is the about right spot.
Neil

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek,

Love,

Lou

This made me LOL

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo buyers don't care. Come out with something new & different, charge a ridiculous price, & they'll swarm after it, especially if you lead 'em to believe it!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo buyers don't care. Come out with something new & different, charge a ridiculous price, & they'll swarm after it, especially if you lead 'em to believe it!

I can sell my revo for profit but I didn't buy it to resale or to collect. I bought it to play with.

On the other hand, I've owned custom cues by high-end makers and lost money on most all of them when the custom cue market started to go south.

I got lucky and got most of my money back but still lost a few K total.

I'm no longer a "swarm" to buy any cue or anything else to be honest. Then again, if I really want something, well, like most, I will buy it.

Having said that, I do know a few that fit your statement, regardless of brand.

BTW, I will be in B,ham in a couple weeks or so if you would like to hit some balls.

Have a good one,

Rake

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can sell my revo for profit but I didn't buy it to resale or to collect. I bought it to play with.

On the other hand, I've owned custom cues by high-end makers and lost money on most all of them when the custom cue market started to go south.

I got lucky and got most of my money back but still lost a few K total.

I'm no longer a "swarm" to buy any cue or anything else to be honest. Then again, if I really want something, well, like most, I will buy it.

Having said that, I do know a few that fit your statement, regardless of brand.

BTW, I will be in B,ham in a couple weeks or so if you would like to hit some balls.

Have a good one,

Rake
Send me a PM when you're coming. I'm retired and can go almost anytime!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not that I care that cue collectors sometimes pay 5-digit amounts of money for collectible cues, it's their money and they can spend it as they damn well please. My point is, if somebody enjoys something enough and wants to own it, then they are willing to pay the current market price to acquire it.

No harm in that and it certainly isn't something that warrants criticism. I bet every person on this thread has something in their homes that they paid too much for...cell phones come to mind but I am sure there are other things.

Maniac

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send me a PM when you're coming. I'm retired and can go almost anytime!

That's sounds like a plan.

I have to carry my wife to U.A.B to see doc. They haven't gave her an appointment date yet. It should be soon though. A week or three... lol... never know with those guys.

I will get with you as soon as I find out what day it is.

I'm gonna try to come down a day early so I will get to stay two days for pool.

I'll let ya know,

BTW, don't play between now and then and I will play 10 hours a day. That way maybe, just maybe I'll have a chance of giving you some kind of competition at table.

Rake

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just seen all the photos on Facebook from Tim Monk yesterday. There are much more interesting ones and here it is his description:
"
For all those who wanted to know how the Predator Revo Shaft is made. A friend got mad and broke this revo on the floor. Slammed it down. Then broke the rest over his knee. It broke first near the joint. Knock tip off. I replaced it to show tip end complete. They say the foam is different density through out the shaft. It looks like normal expansion foam to me. The wall thickness is only around 1/32" .032" thick. Kinda thin. They do tenon the black base plate inside of the shaft for strength. So basically it is a ferrule. Just reverse. Not bashing on the Revo shaft at all. Just showing everyone.

Just learned that in the middle is an aluminum plug."

For me it's just one more prove that this shaft is the most overpriced on the market but I could be wrong if they are on such demand and out of stock almost everywhere.
Fairly soon Cuetec is coming and may be the others later on so hopefully it would be possible to get more for less money in the future...

Only 0,032 thick? Sure?