What is the most consecutive racks of 9 ball ever run?

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I've heard that when Efren was in his 20s that he used to string 20+ racks together all the time (9 ball) when practicing.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've heard of 13 packs run in tournaments and gambling sets and whatnot, then suddenly there's a jump and you hear about 22-24, numbers that are so unreal you can hardly believe them. Even 13 is hard to believe but efren running 10 is on tape. Earl's record is too, at least part of it.

I wanna see some of these 20+ on tape. Especially in 9 ball, just the odds of making a ball and coming up with a shot on the 1 that many times seems ludicrous.

Caromtv.com has a couple of 15 point runs on video. Sang Lee ran 28. Semih ran 31, sharing the world record with hugo patino.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Eric (IRackBalls) won the flip and ran a 5-pack on me at the Texas Open last year. He also broke and ran the last rack, for 6 B&Rs in a race to 9. That's the most anyone has ever run on me.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well on a bar box it seems lots of people have run 20+ racks so I don't really pay attention much to that. On a 9 foot table Lassiter is said to have run 21 racks.

In 3 cushion, Sang Lee ran 29 but I'm not sure if it was in a tournament or in practice. I believe the practice record is 32 or 33 but I'm not sure who holds that record.
Willie Hoppe once ran 25 in 3 cushion back in the days of unheated tables and slow cloth, that's super impressive.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I didn't see this,but several people that have been hanging out at The Rack in Memphis longer than I have told me and others about this. Jimmy Reid showed up for the Super Bowl tournament one year and ran a 7,7,and a 6 pack in consecutive races to 7,hours apart.

I've heard of a 12 on a bar table (Eric Durbin),that my best friend witnessed. I heard about it just as it came to an end.

There are stories about David Matlock putting 20+ together several times for the cash while playing by the game,also on a bar box. The people that told me those were on the rail for the cheese too.

The closest I've come to a monster package like that was an 8 game string where my opponent never shot at an open ball. I ran out a full rack after my opponent scratched,broke and ran 3,then ran out to a spot to play a pre-planned safe. I got ball in hand and ran out,and had to do the same the next rack,same result. I broke and ran out the 7th and 8th rack,which won me the set.

My best set other than that was a 5 and a 4 in a race to 13. Tommy D.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was practicing one time on a Gold Crown II with very tight 3 7/8" pockets. I ran three balls, then drank a six pack. I missed a ball, then drank another six pack. That's a twelve pack in two innings, on very tight equipment. I think that's my record.

That counts. Sorry I missed iit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
According to an AZB website article on 2/2/2003:

In a 'challenge match' against French player Donald Du Bois, Feijen broke and ran 15 consecutive 9-ball racks on a regulation 4 1/2 X 9' table.

Niels Feijen's "fifteen pack", which took place in the Netherlands, is the longest run I've ever heard of in nine-ball on a full size table that has full corroboration. I heard second hand that Lassiter ran a 21-pack of nine ball on a full-size table but there is no corroboration of it.

Runs of over twenty racks have occurred on bar tables.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think Dechaine ran 9 or 10 to close a set of 10 ball. It was likely recorded but not sure where.

Yes, I recall. What I remember is that after a mid-rack mistake in rack one by Archer, Dechaine ran out the race to 10 set. That was at the Riviera in Vegas during the pro event played during the BCA Championships. I don't recall the year, but I'd guess it was about 2010. No doubt, a 9-pack in ten ball is a rare accomplishment.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I read about this achievement too. Feijen = 15 rack runner

I watched Stalev run 5 racks then 6 racks on tight equipment against Strickland. Earl had 1 inning, ran a 5 pack and came up dry on the 6th break. Stalev never let him back to the table. 11 games in 2 innings.

I watched Keith run 8 racks without breaking a sweat. He dumped the 9th rack.

Garten Bierbower claimed Don Willis ran 45 racks of 9ball. I find that hard to believe but he says it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFax7pwcw8

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I was practicing one time on a Gold Crown II with very tight 3 7/8" pockets. I ran three balls, then drank a six pack. I missed a ball, then drank another six pack. That's a twelve pack in two innings, on very tight equipment. I think that's my record.

Have another on me... :yeah:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In pool school with Archer last Saturday this came up. Johnny said it was 15 straight versus Buste.

He is probably counting the first couple of racks of the second set. I watched Johnny run 8 racks in a tournament at the Wagon Wheel once. I think that is the most I heve seen in person.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How come no one ever seems to be able to run 10 packs or more in tournaments, is it because there's witnesses?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How come no one ever seems to be able to run 10 packs or more in tournaments, is it because there's witnesses?

The format has a lot to do with it. Hard to run a 10 pack in a race to 9. Even in a race to 11 ten racks is tough if you didn't even have the first break.

Kaci broke and ran a race to 8 vs Alex P a couple weeks ago playing 10 ball. Who knows what would have happened if it was a race to 15.

I think you would see them more often if pros played races to 21. Not to say they would do it often but it would probably happen.

I have seen Bergman run an 8 pack and then he broke dry in a race to 9.

Chang was down 17-15 vs Orcollo in a challenge match in Vegas in 2015. I believe Dennis broke dry. Chang ran out that one then broke and ran the next 5 to win the match.

It takes some luck to make a ball that many times in a row on the break and then have an open shot.