Barry Hearn Wants Team Europe to Take on Best of Asia

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious. How many professional players are there in the United States? I mean players like Justin Bergman, Rodney Morris, Shane Van Boening, Mike D., and Sky, who play pool full-time. I am not referring to players who may have retired or who do exhibitions or who are Hall of Famers. I mean those who are active in the professional pool scene in America.

Would love to know the answer to this, but since we have no governing body of professional pool or a pro tour, nobody knows.

I would venture to guess the number is less than 20.

Most full-time pool peeps find a way to make a living in the industry aside from tournaments. Look at Allen Hopkins and Scott Frost, both good examples.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The competition between Europe and USA has been a traditional one, but as with everything in life, things evolve and go in a different direction sometimes.

I would definitely be curious to see how the Asian audience members and the Asian pro players react to the European fans in the stands. :grin-square:

Interesting but may i ask
How would u react if team Asian beat the european players under the same format n conditions that europe beat america ?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting but may i ask
How would u react if team Asian beat the european players under the same format n conditions that europe beat america ?

I kind of don't have a dog in that fight, so it would not be as meaningful to me. With Team USA, I am rooting for the home team, of course.

What I am interested in is to see how Asians -- the team and the country -- reacts to European fans screaming, singing, and stomping their feet. That would be pure entertainment for me to witness that. :grin-square:

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of don't have a dog in that fight, so it would not be as meaningful to me. With Team USA, I am rooting for the home team, of course.

What I am interested in is to see how Asians -- the team and the country -- reacts to European fans screaming, singing, and stomping their feet. That would be pure entertainment for me to witness that. :grin-square:

After working in both philipines n taiwan for years.
Im thinking they are way too mentally strong to be affected, which is the reason why theres gonna be at lesst 4 world champs in that team.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, that Barry gets around. :grin:

Wladimir Klitschko and Barry Hearn ringside in the crowd for Anthony Joshua and Eric Molina match Saturday night, December 10th.

Source --> HERE
[Retrieved 11 December 2016]

His son Eddie was promoting the Joshua fight

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Barry might be sorry he wants his Europe team to play the BEST in Asia. I think Asia will kill his boys. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sigh.....
Right on all points.

A few years ago, I had a plan. At the last minute, I lost funding support. But part of building a US future in pool MUST focus ENTIRELY on bringing in younger folks.

I haven't disclosed this publicly before, but there were many industry people involved. Through Thorsten, I made contacts with Yalin tables, who agreed to supply tables, shipped to the states, at slightly above cost. The idea was to infiltrate high schools, starting in the Midwest and expanding towards the coasts. This would allow budget minded school districts to have sports teams, without the costs of funding, say a baseball or football team. The costs of equipment alone for those sports are exceptionally high. For the cost of around a $1000 for an extremely high quality table, some cues and balls, teams can be formed, with unlimited practice and competition. Parents wouldn't have to decide if the "atmosphere " was damaging, likenis thought to be in a pool room. Eventually, pool rooms would be forced to cater to these younger, more wholesome crowds.

Ultimately, along with the funding, the red tape that's involved with the education system is problematic. With the right folks involved though, this can be achieved.

This is the ONLY way forward, imho.

Totally agree here. I've said for many years that Pool is a natural for high school sports. Extremely low costs (an empty classroom, a table and some cues and chalk!) and kids love to play. You don't necessarily need to be big and strong to play pool, like in basketball, baseball, football etc). It has been done successfully in certain areas already (Sacramento area by Bart Mahoney, Pennsylvania by the Birbeck twins and in Texas). This would be a big home run for the BCA if they could pull it off. It's not nearly as hopeless as all the time and money wasted trying to make Pool an Olympic sport.

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing that should be done for the Mosconi is to included all of North America. Makes the team up of;

Alex P.
Johnny M.
Shane VB.
Oscar O.
Justin B. (or ?)

Then they'll have a fighting chance... might still loose, but would be closer.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing that should be done for the Mosconi is to included all of North America. Makes the team up of;

Alex P.
Johnny M.
Shane VB.
Oscar O.
Justin B. (or ?)

Then they'll have a fighting chance... might still loose, but would be closer.

Makes sense.

Europe consists of many countries combined and Usa only comprise of 1 big country with many states but still way smaller than the whole of europe so i think its unfair.
I think it shld be whole of Americas vs Europe.
Americas incl north n south america.
Just my 0.02

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea....

I would love to see the best of Asia play the best of Europe. I would also like to see individual matches with longer sets and a winner breaks format.

It is pretty obvious Europe owns the Mosconi Cup and dominates that format.

But please, lets not let it end there, pool is much to interesting and challenging for us to let the Mosconi Cup format be a decider on greatness in pool.

I personally find short races with the alternate break and the Magic Rack boring.

I don't mind one bit if the Mosconi Cup goes away altogether. I hope we some day end up with an America Cup, a Europe Cup and an Asia Cup.

If that ever happens I think it would help the image pool has and generate more viewer interest.

Only the USA sends a one country team to the Mosconi and World Cup. We may loose, but we have won before! No other country does that.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After working in both philipines n taiwan for years.
Im thinking they are way too mentally strong to be affected, which is the reason why theres gonna be at lesst 4 world champs in that team.
At start of World Cup of Pool final last year Taiwan v England B, crowd was partisan but after that Ko long kick on 9 out of nowhere followed by that Chang YL shot of the tourney, crowd were pretty cool and enjoyed action from both sides

Barry might be sorry he wants his Europe team to play the BEST in Asia. I think Asia will kill his boys. Johnnyt

True. But Barry is a businessman first so if it leads to more ratings, demand and sponsorship/ad money , it is all good :smile:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True. But Barry is a businessman first so if it leads to more ratings, demand and sponsorship/ad money , it is all good :smile:

Absolutely, remember the US killed Europe at first every year, then the Europeans adapted and upped their game.

I think Barry basically cares about ratings, if something new generates that, regardless of the result he'll be happy...as the promoter/organiser that is his job after all!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well....

Matchroom Sport founder and chairman Barry Hearn says he has big plans for Team Europe following their emphatic Mosconi Cup victory over USA at Alexandra Palace.

Hearn admits they need to do something about it quickly, otherwise Europe will blow them out the water again. He also plans to take on the best of Asia in a similar style format to the Mosconi Cup.

"You have to say European pool is in a good place," Hearn told Sky Sports. "They've got better and better every year and now they're in danger of running over America unless they get something right.

"These guys are so confident and they operate so well as a team together that they're going to take a hell of a lot of beating.

"I've spent the last couple of days talking to the greatest pool players in Asia and I'm going to bring these guys back to play the top player from China, from Korea, from Philippines and see if we can test these guys because they weren't really tested against these Americans who weren't good enough."

Source --> HERE [Retrieved 11 December 2016]

Cute photo of Barry and Ronnie. Barry Hearn, left, has been chairman of World Snooker since 2010.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..................Perfect.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I hope it is on ESPN 3. It would be great to watch. I like the things Barry does in pool sports.