Can Dechaine handle pressure?

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is a very good 9 and 10 Ball player and who besides Shane would be the favorite over him out of all our American pros?

For what ever reason Mike has had to push through lots of unfavorable internet comments.

I think letting some ones Mosconi Cup performance own and define them is being unfair to them.

I would love to see Mike go up against that Europe team one on one in long sets with winner breaks. I think he would do well.

can you answer me one simple question then? why the hell should any european travell to the US to play MD for a long race and for some of his bakers dollars?
i can answer you, they dont need to....... they earn enough with pool + sponsoring and most of them have a solid (family)life, theres absolutley no reason to leave that comfortzone to play something they probably never played on foreign soil! or do you think they all dream at nights of beating MD in a long race for the cash? very unlikely.....(btw thats losers thinking, guess first its up to MD and team USA to prove that they can win a rt5 which everyone can do, right?)
on the other side i would love to see it when the then prepared "tourneysoldiers" take on MD! the outcoming would probably disturb some even more!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can you answer me one simple question then? why the hell should any european travell to the US to play MD for a long race and for some of his bakers dollars?
i can answer you, they dont need to....... they earn enough with pool + sponsoring and most of them have a solid (family)life, theres absolutley no reason to leave that comfortzone to play something they probably never played on foreign soil! or do you think they all dream at nights of beating MD in a long race for the cash? very unlikely.....(btw thats losers thinking, guess first its up to MD and team USA to prove that they can win a rt5 which everyone can do, right?)
on the other side i would love to see it when the then prepared "tourneysoldiers" take on MD! the outcoming would probably disturb some even more!

The majority of the European players are here for DCC in January. Something can be arranged without any additional travel cost.

Just like Karl Boyes is playing Oscar during DCC

I'll take MD over Albin, Darren(current form), Toasty, Mika, and Karl Boyes. 9b/10b race to 21.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Very few people gamble anymore. Most are looking for somebody to drop their wallet or match up with a lock to win. Gambling is passé in 2016 for the most part.

I think Mike D. is a good tournament player. He shoots well in that environment, especially on his home turf. He has a good fan base in the Northeast. Most like to pull for the kid from their neck of the woods. :)

Every pool player has a streak, some longer than others. Earl Strickland's streak spanned over several decades, same with Buddy Hall, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, and Jean Balukas.

Mike is very passionate about pool, and I think he will continue to push for that high gear for a long time. Whether he reaches the ranks of the above-referenced players or not, time will tell. Overcoming pressure is most definitely a skill set needed to be a successful pool player. If you fold like a lawn chair under the pressure, it's not a good thing in pool.
I agree. A good gambler can beat a better player with ease if the nerves get to the better player. Being nervous takes a pool player out of their comfort zone and it affects their game drastically. I've watched good players practice and they look unbeatable as the balls go in the pockets perfectly and the cue ball floats to the next shot, but as soon as a match starts for the cheese things begin to tighten up for a lot of us and that smooth unbeatable stroke suddenly looks jerky and the balls struggle to go in. If I could overcome my nerves under pressure I wouldn't play too bad, but as soon as my grip tightens up my game slowly goes away. Every now and then I can play loose with no pressure and I play pretty good, but that isn't the norm for me. I play great one day and then I'm not so good so what's the difference? NERVES!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Many of them actually live here in the states now (DA, Shaw, Mika, etc) and another group of the top tier are here very regularly. There is no need to travel "across the pond" if they want to match up.

MD seems to do pretty well in tourneys as well, even with those Europeans involved. See the US Open and the tourney in Kuwait earlier this year.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of them actually live here in the states now (DA, Shaw, Mika, etc) and another group of the top tier are here very regularly. There is no need to travel "across the pond" if they want to match up.

MD seems to do pretty well in tourneys as well, even with those Europeans involved. See the US Open and the tourney in Kuwait earlier this year.
Don't forget Toastie lives here too!

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I know everyone wish thy knew what happened with Mike and Shane at the Mosconi including their selves. But I think they have to go with those guys again next year and hope they sort out their problem with it.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yes i know many live over there, but doesnt that proof my point? either they are simply not interrested to gamble like that cause they already have what it needs for a good life....... or they are afraid, idk (not sure if they are shaking from a last 8 result on homesoil and a last 32 in kuwait)!
and hey, im not here to argue if MD is now nr 15, 30 or 50 in the world, just wanted to throw the possibility in, that the euros maybe just not interrested in games like that cause theres no need for it.....

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the they were out of the Steinway Classic this year, MD played one of the young Taiwanese for 500, then stepped up and played JL Chang a set for 500.

After the set, they played a single rack for 500, which was posted on FB.

I wouldn't say he never gambles or only locks up B players.

Thats not really pressure at 500.

Try 5, 10 or 20k and you are betting part or all of your money. Then theres pressure. Theres no pressure when if you lose you go home with the same you came to the table with, zero pressure in that aspect. No pressure when staked, please.