bridge use question

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
Last night we were debating if this would be a legal use of bridges. We had a variety of opinions.

Attachments

• bridge-closeUp.jpg
    bridge-closeUp.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 630
  • bridge_me.jpg
    bridge_me.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 647

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 14.1, I usually just double up on bridges to shoot over the stack. That's legal from how I've seen.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
per the rules the cue stick is not being used as it is intended
so not legal
1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications.* In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play.* The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)
(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.
(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand
function.*
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the referee.

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so not legal
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications.* In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play.* The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)
(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.
function.*
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the referee.

So would it be legal if you used two bridges? It may come in handy if you could.

Just saw the complete picture. Couldn't that be argued that they were using two bridges like is stated in the rules. We all know there will be some that would press this issue, so I would like to know what to do if I run across something like this in the future.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so not legal
The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications.* In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. The following uses, among others, are considered normal. The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended

Yes, see two stacked bridges often.
This bridge use (the lower bridge) is not "as intended" because the "antlers" are intended to be used a guide, not the "shaft".....

EDIT: what he wants to do here, could be done by stacking the bridges.....

Last edited:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would let it slide, but I would be a little salty inside if it cost me the game afterwards. I'm not concerned to much about WPA rules. The cue is still being used as intended, the intention is the cue is still being used to hit the cue ball.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, see two stacked bridges often.
This bridge use (the lower bridge) is not "as intended" because the "antlers" are intended to be used a guide, not the "shaft".....

EDIT: what he wants to do here, could be done by stacking the bridges.....

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So would it be legal if you used two bridges? It may come in handy if you could.

Just saw the complete picture. Couldn't that be argued that they were using two bridges like is stated in the rules. We all know there will be some that would press this issue, so I would like to know what to do if I run across something like this in the future.

But the cue stick is not in question, rather the orientation of the second, yet legal, bridge. I don't see anything in rule C that says this isn't legal.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I have also laid a bridge across the cushions like in the picture and placed my hand on it and shot like that. I think I need another picture to show that.

jmarcum1984

Registered
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player.

This part of the rule says the configuration is up to the player, so I would have to interpret that as a legal configuration of two mechanical bridges.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I think its a perfectly legal manner in which to use a bridge - or even 8 of them at the same time... a Bridge is intended to be used to aid the player in gainful purchase on a shot. Legal.... I've actually used that in a Tournament with no problem. It's not the kind of thing that pops up very often.

Complaining about something like this is kinda like leaping out of your chair, screaming: "He didn't call the pocket!!!!" on an obvious straight in shot. Gimme a break....(and the 5 out)

Lesh

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the room had one of these:

Swan-neck1.jpg

there would be no problem.

There is another configuration that is similar except with only one bridge placed across the cushions like the lower bridge in the picture. Then you make a normal hand bridge on top of the handle of the bridge.

Another solution is to use a Russo bridge that allows the heads to lock together to get a very high bridge.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so not legal
function.*

Interesting conclusion. A bridge is intended to support the cue stick while shooting a shot.

If you read part c, it clearly states that 2 bridges may be used, and the configuration of the bridges is up to the player. How much more clear could that be.

Clearly legal by that definition.

KMRUNOUT

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A sturdy bridge for a jump shot in the middle of the table can be achieved by placing the butt end of a bridge on the cloth and wrapping the bridge hand around it to make a bridge. Not the intended use though.

A 16 or 20 ounce cup works good too turned upside down. Not legal either.