Which cue setup has more deflection?

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say you have a 58 inch 19 oz cue and you want to add 8 inches of overall length.

Which setup would result in more cuing deflection for this cue?

1. An 8 inch, 2.5 oz shaft extension
2. An 8 inch, 2.5 oz butt extension

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Say you have a 58 inch 19 oz cue and you want to add 8 inches of overall length.

Neither. Only the mass of the first several inches at the tip affects squirt.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Neither. Only the mass of the first several inches at the tip affects squirt.

pj
chgo

Doesn’t the extra weight increase squirt?

While I’m picking your brain, PJ....using a rest at snooker...my cue squirted more also.
....do you think the bridge hand affects squirt?
Pretty sure that if I was reaching and therefore was using a longer bridge (no rest)
I had to allow for more squirt.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

While I’m picking your brain, PJ....using a rest at snooker...my cue squirted more also.
Pretty sure that if I was reaching and therefore was using a longer bridge (no rest)
I had to allow for more squirt.

I think with the bridge the pivot point is different from your normal set up
I think this makes a difference
Look forward to pat’s answer

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The total weight is the same in both scenarios.

Now that is interesting.....you changed to a lighter cue with an extension?
...I know Earl’s cue was very heavy when he went to the long one.

I got a long and a short extension for my snooker cue...gonna weigh them and then try
try them on a lighter cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The only time I have had a shaft hit odd was when the shaft was longer, not when I used an extension. Although my extension was maybe 2 inches not 8. With a longer shaft I was missing a lot more shots with spin, this was with two same model OB shafts, and also with a custom made LD shaft from the same maker both 29" and longer were 30". With a 29" shaft and a mid extension it played the same.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've actually sold a cue because of this issue.
My simple and short answer would be the butt extension would cause more deflection.
That's what I experienced in a single piece merry window style cue that had 2 different interchangeable butt sleeve portions.
It was 58in with original piece, but swapping it out with the longer butt made the cue about 64in.
On longer firm shots with draw and English, the increased rear weight caused quite an unusual flex in the shaft with visually noticeable effect. It made the hit feel like an exaggerated shock wave rippled through the cue. The shorter version hit crisply VS the thud and wobble of the extension.
Construction has a huge role in how your cue will be affected by changing any dimensions.
The one I had was assembled by a very competent hobbyist; though I'm sure a more experienced maker would've made a few more measurements.
I now play with a 60in full splice cue all the time made by an extremely talented maker.
I tried a friend's 5in extension at the joint just for fun.
It hit firm and true as if it were original length.

The construction quality of the 2 cues are light years apart.
Just thought I'd share my experience.
Hope you're able to find a setup that you find functions well.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Only if it's concentrated near the tip.

While I’m picking your brain, PJ....
If you find anything valuable I'll split it with you.

...using a rest at snooker...my cue squirted more also.
I don't think bridge length or using a normal mechanical bridge should affect squirt.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with pj, based on what's been said in virtually every post on here about this the only thing that really affects squirt is shaft-end mass. I recently added an ext.(only 3") to my Mezz and there is zero difference. I've played with a friends 64" w/extension Durbin and didn't notice anything.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
...using a rest at snooker...my cue squirted more also.

The rest head, unless you're using a swan-neck, won't hold the shaft as well as your bridge hand will. The tip can veer off when using side. I've seen a lot of people miscue because of this.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The rest head, unless you're using a swan-neck, won't hold the shaft as well as your bridge hand will. The tip can veer off when using side. I've seen a lot of people miscue because of this.
Wouldn't this mean people who use an open bridge should get more miscues? Wouldn't that mean if they don't get more miscues they're not hitting as far from centerball (i.e., getting less spin)?

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Only if it's concentrated near the tip.

If you find anything valuable I'll split it with you.

I don't think bridge length or using a normal mechanical bridge should affect squirt.

pj
chgo

Agree with pj, based on what's been said in virtually every post on here about this the only thing that really affects squirt is shaft-end mass. I recently added an ext.(only 3") to my Mezz and there is zero difference. I've played with a friends 64" w/extension Durbin and didn't notice anything.

Wouldn't this mean people who use an open bridge should get more miscues? Wouldn't that mean if they don't get more miscues they're not hitting as far from centerball (i.e., getting less spin)?

pj
chgo

I just thought of something.....I gambled a fair amount with one hand back in the day...
...got maxi squirt on one hand spin shots....snooker and pool.

This is just an empirical observation....I don’t know why.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I just thought of something.....I gambled a fair amount with one hand back in the day...

More than you'd get with the same hits two-handed?

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Much more....I’m talking using the rail as a bridge...jacked up, I wasn’t very good.
...on some half ball cuts where I’m powering with inside...I might find myself aiming full ball.
..this is at snooker, I didn’t have to adjust that much using my pool cue with two hands.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Much more....I’m talking using the rail as a bridge...jacked up, I wasn’t very good.
...on some half ball cuts where I’m powering with inside...I might find myself aiming full ball.
..this is at snooker, I didn’t have to adjust that much using my pool cue with two hands.
I'm sure somebody has suspended a cue on cords like a battering ram and swung it into a CB with no hands restraining it. My prediction is the outcome is the same as making the same hit with two hands.

One handed tip placement is less precise, so maybe there are more mini-miscues when spinning...?

pj
chgo

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allot of people are unintentionally putting a degree of massé on the cue ball because most often the butt is elevated at a higher angle. Striking downward through the ball with any English will cause squirt to happen.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Allot of people are unintentionally putting a degree of massé on the cue ball because most often the butt is elevated at a higher angle. Striking downward through the ball with any English will cause squirt to happen.
Yes, or striking level or even upward (if you can manage it).

pj
chgo

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, or striking level or even upward (if you can manage it).

pj
chgo

And you often see people using an upward stroke with a bridge??? Lol!
I was making a generalization of common mis-practice amongst average hobby players.
Rarely do I see people using a level cue with a bridge. When I do, I know to ask for a spot.
Lol.