Pro Pool in 2019: What Moments Stand Out?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

The curtain has just dropped on the 2019 pool year. Now, it’s time to reflect.

I wonder what the match of the year was, and also what was the shot of the year. It’s never a simple matter, and I saw neither every match played nor every shot executed, so I’ll need help. I’ll consider the matter of the accomplishment of the year, and also try to single out the pool event of the year.

Match of the year Nominees

1 January: Bigfoot 10-ball Final, JL Chang over Filler, 11-9
It was the final so many of us saw coming, and both played superbly. In the end, JL Chang won the final in a brilliant display of world class pool.

2. April: US Open 9-ball, YL Chang over Liu Haitao, 11-10
Despite very few errors by Liu Haitao, YL Chang came from way behind to beat Liu Haitao in the quarterfinals of the US Open 9-ball. The defining moment of the match was when Liu Haitao appeared to be running out for an 11-9 victory but got cushion hooked in Rack 20, sold out, and never saw the table again.

3. September, China Open Final, Wu over Raga, 11-10
Raga had a big lead, but Wu stormed back to take the lead, only to be caught at double hill. In the end, it was Wu capturing one of the toughest titles in pool, but Raga turned some heads, too, in his “here I am” moment and it seemed a bright new star had arrived on the pool scene.

4 October, International 9-ball, Lechner 11 Van Boening 10
Maximilian Lechner, a talented Austrian player, rode a six-pack to a 9-0 lead, but Shane stormed back and won ten consecutive racks, earning a chance to break on the hill, but his comeback ultimately fell short. Lechner began a run that took him all the way to the final, which he’d lose to Jayson Shaw.

5. October: International 9-ball, Bergman 11, Pagulayan 8
After a grueling battle up to 6 - 6 featuring exceptional play, a Bergman error opened the door and Alex took an 8-6 lead. Somehow, Bergman came back from 8-6 with some of the best safety play and kicking I’ve ever seen, ultimately winning 11-8. It was the only time I’ve ever seen anyone beat Alex, the best tactical player since Efren, by out-moving him time and time again.

My choice here is Match 3, Wu over Raga, a match featuring two great stories in the excellence of Wu and the emergence of Raga.

By all means, call out other matches you feel merit consideration.

Shot of the Year
This is easy. I have to award this to David Alcaide’s long bank of the nine ball at double hill against Alex Kazakis in the final of the World Pool Masters. It’s one of the most clutch shots I have ever seen at double hill in an event final.

Honorable mention to Jayson Shaw’s back to back jump-ins of the one ball and then the two ball at 12-11 in the International 9-ball final in October. He then ran out the rack out to claim the title.

Feel free to nominate other shots you feel deserve consideration.

Accomplishment of the Year
Here, I’ll give a shout out to John Schmidt’s record run of 626 in straight pool. Mosconi’s record lasted for 65 years and, despite the presence of a few who are capable of it, it wouldn’t shock me if it took 65 more years for somebody to run more than John.

Honorable mention goes to all those who brought two new WPA sanctioned events to America - the WPA Players Championship and World 10-ball Championship. Added to the US Open 9-ball and the International, America now has four major WPA sanctioned events, so more and more elite overseas players are coming to the top events in America. That’s good for every American pool fan.

Feel free to nominate other accomplishments deserving mention.

Event of the Year
To me, it’s not even close. The inaugural Matchroom version of the US Open 9-ball raised the bar for how a pool event can be staged. It gave us an elite 256 player field, adhered to an ambitious match schedule, and raised the profile of America’s top event. Props to Matchroom for embracing the event’s history by naming the event trophy the “Barry Behrman trophy” and by having Brady and Shannon Behrman front and center at the event. The event was so well received that the 2020 field was filled six months in advance. Lastly, added money was greatly increased for the 2020 edition.

Feel free to nominate other events you feel merit consideration.

Conclusion
2019 was a great pool year, one I enjoyed sharing with the AZB forum. Let’s hope 2020 is just as unforgettable.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl at Turning Stone
Max at the International.

Looks like a have a soft spot for the runner up.

Also Efren's run at SEA games.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is no contest - the Thanksgiving day final Mosconi Cup singles match, Sky Woodward defeating Joshua Filler, which was the clincher for the US Mosconi Cup victory!

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is no contest - the Thanksgiving day final Mosconi Cup singles match, Sky Woodward defeating Joshua Filler, which was the clincher for the US Mosconi Cup victory!

I agree. That IMO, was a great moment for US pool and Sky as a player.

Jeff

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about that up and coming lechner beating shane in the international open in a blowout turned thriller hill-hill match? Also the sky filler mosconi cup match was great as others have mentioned. The mosconi cup is the only tournament I actually get nervous just watching.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno about the question, but I can say my heart rate went up, reading your match summaries.

I wonder what the match of the year was, and also what was the shot of the year. It’s never a simple matter, and I saw neither every match played nor every shot executed, so I’ll need help. I’ll consider the matter of the accomplishment of the year, and also try to single out the pool event of the year.

It was the final so many of us saw coming, and both played superbly. In the end, JL Chang won the final in a brilliant display of world class pool.

Despite very few errors by Liu Haitao, YL Chang came from way behind to beat Liu Haitao in the quarterfinals of the US Open 9-ball. The defining moment of the match was when Liu Haitao appeared to be running out for an 11-9 victory but got cushion hooked in Rack 20, sold out, and never saw the table again.

Raga had a big lead, but Wu stormed back to take the lead, only to be caught at double hill. In the end, it was Wu capturing one of the toughest titles in pool, but Raga turned some heads, too, in his “here I am” moment and it seemed a bright new star had arrived on the pool scene.

Maximilian Lechner, a talented Austrian player, rode a six-pack to a 9-0 lead, but Shane stormed back and won ten consecutive racks, earning a chance to break on the hill, but his comeback ultimately fell short. Lechner began a run that took him all the way to the final, which he’d lose to Jayson Shaw.

After a grueling battle up to 6 - 6 featuring exceptional play, a Bergman error opened the door and Alex took an 8-6 lead. Somehow, Bergman came back from 8-6 with some of the best safety play and kicking I’ve ever seen, ultimately winning 11-8. It was the only time I’ve ever seen anyone beat Alex, the best tactical player since Efren, by out-moving him time and time again.

My choice here is Match 3, Wu over Raga, a match featuring two great stories in the excellence of Wu and the emergence of Raga.

Shot of the Year
This is easy. I have to award this to David Alcaide’s long bank of the nine ball at double hill against Alex Kazakis in the final of the World Pool Masters. It’s one of the most clutch shots I have ever seen at double hill in an event final.

Honorable mention to Jayson Shaw’s back to back jump-ins of the one ball and then the two ball at 12-11 in the International 9-ball final in October. He then ran out the rack out to claim the title.

Accomplishment of the Year
Here, I’ll give a shout out to John Schmidt’s record run of 626 in straight pool. Mosconi’s record lasted for 65 years and, despite the presence of a few who are capable of it, it wouldn’t shock me if it took 65 more years for somebody to run more than John.

Honorable mention goes to all those who brought two new WPA sanctioned events to America - the WPA Players Championship and World 10-ball Championship. Added to the US Open 9-ball and the International, America now has four major WPA sanctioned events, so more and more elite overseas players are coming to the top events in America. That’s good for every American pool fan.

Feel free to nominate other accomplishments deserving mention.

Event of the Year
To me, it’s not even close. The inaugural Matchroom version of the US Open 9-ball raised the bar for how a pool event can be staged. It gave us an elite 256 player field, adhered to an ambitious match schedule, and raised the profile of America’s top event. Props to Matchroom for embracing the event’s history by a) naming the event trophy the “Barry Behrman trophy” and by having Brady and Shannon Behrman front and center at the event. The event was so well received that the 2020 field was filled six months in advance. Lastly, added money was greatly increased for the 2020 edition.

Feel free to nominate other events you feel merit consideration.

Conclusion
2019 was a great pool years, one I enjoyed sharing with the AZB forum. Let’s hope 2020 is just as unforgettable.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My outstanding matches for 2019

Wu vs Filler....US Open...it was the immovable object meeting the irresistible force...
...I almost fell out of my chair when Wu made that foul.

Got to Norfolk and walked in just to see the last two games of SVB and Max....
..I was looking through a window from the back of the stands...nothing but admiration
for both of them...made a point of watching the full match after.

Greg Sullivan’s HOF speech...told me the day before that he dreaded it....
...he always had someone up front speaking for Diamond.
He admitted to the crowd he was very nervous but he didn’t make it short...
...tears came more than once...but he moved everyone....stole the show.....

...and that was hard to do....Alex was terrific on the mic...had everybody laughing....
....except his mother....she was crying...it was sweet

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Some good analysis here so far. The Filler vs Woodward is a match I didn't see as it occurred on Thanksgiving. The moment was big, although the US would still be likely to win the cup even if Woodward loses it, but was the match a classic? Not to me, but it's a matter of opinion.

From time to time, we debate what makes a match great. We all understand that the most important factors are a) size of the moment - was it in a late round of a big event or not? b) high quality of play by both players, c) was it a big match in the career of one of the game's giants? d) did it introduce us to a new star of the game?, etc., etc. That said, many of us tend to place very different weights on each of these factors, which is why the beauty of a match is most definitely in the eye of the beholder.

To me, Raga vs Wu in the final of the China Open is, perhaps, the only match that checks all the boxes for 2019. The China Open, a WPA Sanctioned event and one of the three hardest events of the year to win during the pool year (along with US Open 9-ball and WPA World 9-ball Championship) and established world beater Wu vs new young superstar Raga offered as good a matchup as anyone could ever ask for in the final. They didn't disappoint in in the seesaw final, a nail-biter if there ever was one.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Styer

I think Styer winning the Kremlin Cup is up there. One of the USA's youngest pro players breaking through at the international level is pretty memorable for me.

For my top moment, however, I think Ko PC beating Filler in the finals of the Predator 10 ball was my pick. Filler had won the World Championship and US Open and was in the finals again, I didn't know that anyone could beat him. For Ko to play so smooth and well was a treat to witness.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Styer winning the Kremlin Cup is up there. One of the USA's youngest pro players breaking through at the international level is pretty memorable for me.

For my top moment, however, I think Ko PC beating Filler in the finals of the Predator 10 ball was my pick. Filler had won the World Championship and US Open and was in the finals again, I didn't know that anyone could beat him. For Ko to play so smooth and well was a treat to witness.

definitely a contender. both kpc and filler played at an extremely high level

US Open final was equally brilliant. what takes it down a notch is the touch foul, kind of an anti-climax imo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Great point.

I'd have to say I snoozed this one, which I did see on stream. Ko Ping Chung put on an amazing display to beat the hottest player in the game at a very big moment. I hope the World 10-ball Championship will continue to grow and will remain financially sustainable.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Greg Sullivan’s HOF speech...told me the day before that he dreaded it.......he always had someone up front speaking for Diamond.
He admitted to the crowd he was very nervous but he didn’t make it short...
...tears came more than once...but he moved everyone....stole the show.....
...and that was hard to do....Alex was terrific on the mic...had everybody laughing... .....except his mother....she was crying...it was sweet

Great take. I must admit that the BCA HOF dinner was not something I even considered when I thought about the greatest moments of 2019, but on reflection I should have.

The moment of his induction was too big and too emotional for Greg Sullivan. He has always preferred to stay in the background, even at Derby City. In contrast, Alex Pagulayan has always loved the spotlight and shined in it. No moment is too big or too emotional for Alex, and his facility for entertainment shone through. It was an interesting contrast from Greg, but each was true to himself and, for good reason, they are two of our game's most beloved figures.

Hence, after further consideration, I agree that these were among the most memorable moments of the 2019 pool year.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
US Open 9 Ball NV Wu Jiaqing

Slip of the bridge finger. Mandalay Bay 2019 final.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Ruslan's semi final and finals performances at the American straight pool championship.

2. Earl Strickland destroying Jayson Shaw at the turning stone in what many considered to be earl's moment of return to his prime form. like the announcers said, he literally was just spinning the ball at his will and everything went perfect. even on shots you thought he was going to have problems he didn't even give it a second, shot at it and made it in.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
US Open final was equally brilliant. what takes it down a notch is the touch foul, kind of an anti-climax imo

I think we're on the same page here. The anti-climactic finish, at least for me, took this fine match out of consideration for best match of the year.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
SJM already mentioned it, but it's a personal highlight for me since I was there to see it in person, and that is JL Chang's play at the Bigfoot Challenge at Derby City. He seems like a robot sent from the future to dominate pool. To watch him do it against the best competition on the toughest equipment was a sight to behold.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shot of the Year

Shot of Year
That David Alcaide bank was shot of year in Matchroom poll
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/matchroom-pool-top-shots-2019/
If that was not final shot in final with title and big money on line, I think these other shots would be strong contenders because of the difficulty and aesthetics.

Justin Bergman ‘Z Shot’ - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/_HkmRHYn4Yg
Chang Yu Lung 1-Ball - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/bW654xRh52g
Joshua Filler 9-Ball Bank - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/ECpj2Ne1krk
Albin Ouschan 1 ball -World Cup of Pool
https://youtu.be/PWpxNnYXgsA?t=2776

But again there are tonnes of great shots that we would have missed out since sadly a very small % of matches are captured on video :(

Match of Year
Of the nominees, my criteria to decide the winner would be-
Matches that are finals with major title and big money on the line will have edge over the others. And then the hill hill matches also have the edge. Then also matches that have momentum swings.
So yes it is that excellent Wu-Raga match over Chang JL- Filler and Lechner -Van Boening . In fact , I think it has been a long time since a major event final went hill hill. World 9 ball has not had hill hill since 2012 when Appleton won.
Too bad I missed out on that Chang JL v Filler final and it is not on Youtube.

Oscars/ Golden Globes have minor awards (like Film editing, Makeup) so I would like to add a few minor awards :smile:.
Breakout/ Breakthrough Star
Nominees are:
Max Lechner (2nd International Open)
Anton Raga (2nd in China Open, 3rd in All Japan)
Tyler Styer (5th World 10Ball, Winner Kremlin Cup)
Masato Yoshioka (3rd World 10 Ball)
Zheng Xiao Huai (18 Year old World Junior 9 ball Champion won All Japan and briefly topped Fargo)
The winner is Raga. Even though he is well known in Philippines for many years as top money game player, he has performed poorly in major tournaments but 2019 is his coming out party. Plus he can really hang with the elites. Zheng is exciting to watch with his no prisoners sharpshooting style. I like Max Lechner but am afraid as someone said, he may be drowned out by the endless stream of Euro talent.

Most Improved Promoter
A shoutout to CSI who did a lot for pro pool in 2019 putting on 3 events (9 ft) with world class fields- World 10 Ball, WPA Players, Diamond Las Vegas Open. They are back in the high life again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adw772km7PQ
:D

Comment of the Year
"The guy's a good player. He's not a great player" Earl on Kaci at World Pool Masters
https://www.skysports.com/more-spor...trickland-fumes-after-world-pool-masters-exit

"I am the King now"- Joshua Filler at Mosconi Cup

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shot of Year
That David Alcaide bank was shot of year in Matchroom poll
http://www.matchroompool.com/news/matchroom-pool-top-shots-2019/
If that was not final shot in final with title and big money on line, I think these other shots would be strong contenders because of the difficulty and aesthetics.

Justin Bergman ‘Z Shot’ - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/_HkmRHYn4Yg
Chang Yu Lung 1-Ball - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/bW654xRh52g
Joshua Filler 9-Ball Bank - US Open 9-Ball
https://youtu.be/ECpj2Ne1krk
Albin Ouschan 1 ball -World Cup of Pool
https://youtu.be/PWpxNnYXgsA?t=2776

But again there are tonnes of great shots that we would have missed out since sadly a very small % of matches are captured on video :(

Match of Year
Of the nominees, my criteria to decide the winner would be-
Matches that are finals with major title and big money on the line will have edge over the others. And then the hill hill matches also have the edge. Then also matches that have momentum swings.
So yes it is that excellent Wu-Raga match over Chang JL- Filler and Lechner -Van Boening . In fact , I think it has been a long time since a major event final went hill hill. World 9 ball has not had hill hill since 2012 when Appleton won.
Too bad I missed out on that Chang JL v Filler final and it is not on Youtube.

Oscars/ Golden Globes have minor awards (like Film editing, Makeup) so I would like to add a few minor awards :smile:.
Breakout/ Breakthrough Star
Nominees are:
Max Lechner (2nd International Open)
Anton Raga (2nd in China Open, 3rd in All Japan)
Tyler Styer (5th World 10Ball, Winner Kremlin Cup)
Masato Yoshioka (3rd World 10 Ball)
Zheng Xiao Huai (18 Year old World Junior 9 ball Champion won All Japan and briefly topped Fargo)
The winner is Raga. Even though he is well known in Philippines for many years as top money game player, he has performed poorly in major tournaments but 2019 is his coming out party. Plus he can really hang with the elites. Zheng is exciting to watch with his no prisoners sharpshooting style. I like Max Lechner but am afraid as someone said, he may be drowned out by the endless stream of Euro talent.

Most Improved Promoter
A shoutout to CSI who did a lot for pro pool in 2019 putting on 3 events (9 ft) with world class fields- World 10 Ball, WPA Players, Diamond Las Vegas Open. They are back in the high life again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adw772km7PQ
:D

Comment of the Year
"The guy's a good player. He's not a great player" Earl on Kaci at World Pool Masters
https://www.skysports.com/more-spor...trickland-fumes-after-world-pool-masters-exit

"I am the King now"- Joshua Filler at Mosconi Cup

Wow, great post. Had a feeling you'd be there with me on the match of the year, but you've offered some good new categories for our memories of 2019.