Best playing cue under $1,000

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like plain cues so I would get a McD or Pech for a lot less than a thousand..
And both companies have excellent warranties and customer service. And they're both good cues

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be a smuck, but a SECONDHAND custom cue.

Examples of great cues for low bucks.

Rick Howard
Nitti
Andy Gilbert
etc.

JMO

Ken

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit as many as you can and go with the one that feels the best. I didn't know a bunch about cues or makers...outside of Meucci and Mcdermott, so I had pretty much a ":blind taste test" a few years ago. I spent a few weeks hitting a dozens of cues at league. Hit Mezz, Shon, Mcdermott, Huebler, Adams, Lucasi...the one I cam back to over and over was the one with the weird name...Pechauer. Just felt right to me. Got 4 now. Bonus was when I found out how customer friendly they are and how much they do to support up and coming players.

Good luck in your search.

Hey fella,

How's it going?

I ment to get together during music city open but, pesky health problems kept me from attending.

I've not forgot about meeting up to hit some. Unfortunately, it may be a good while before I'm able to travel or play but, I will hollar at you as soon as I recover.

I'll shoot you a PM later on.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP,

I play with a predator roadline5 with a revo 12.4 shaft that my wife gave to me as an anniversary gift.

It took what seemed like forever to adjust to the cf shaft but, once I did, well, it was off to the races (literally).

Having said the above, I always preferred custom cues that were made to my specs. But, if I had to go with a production cue back then, my first choice would have been PECHAUER cues.

There are a few companies (very few) that make just as good a cue as pechauer does but, nobody's customer service is as good as pechauer's.....bar none.

Even the lower end pechauer cues will not disappoint even the pickiest of players. For less than what your budget is you can get a very nice pechauer cue with their Rogue shaft included.

BTW, if you prefer wooden shafts, pechauer is known to use really nice wood for shafts.......high quality is an understatement. Their low-end shafts would be considered high-end from most.

Jeff

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Mike Gulyassy makes a phenomenal plain jane cue for under $1,000...His cues hit great and are loved by all who have them. I've got one (his former player) and I play with it a lot, but I always go back to my trusty Schon. Probably a personal preference, but over the past 25 years I've had it, it has been the most reliable/best balance/best hit of all. I do have a Cynergy CF shaft on it now, and love it...but wouldn't be afraid to put one of the original shafts on and play.

Mike Gulyassy makes a phenomenal plain jane cue for under $1,000...His cues hit great and are loved by all who have them. I've got one (his former player) and I play with it a lot, but I always go back to my trusty Schon. Probably a personal preference, but over the past 25 years I've had it, it has been the most reliable/best balance/best hit of all. I do have a Cynergy CF shaft on it now, and love it...but wouldn't be afraid to put one of the original shafts on and play.

Yeah, Gulyassy cues do hit super nice, in my experience, and the good thing about Schon is that they all hit pretty much the same. Very consistent hitting cues.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the end of the day it's subjective, I have seen cuemakers and players describe wood combinations totally differently, some say Ebony is a pinger, some say it's a thumper.

When you say stiff and soft, I personally think of two different types of cues. Like, do you want a stiff hit like a southwest but with a soft tip and wood to wood joint?

I spend a lot of time on AZ, never seen a negative comment about David Brainard's work, hit a couple of his cues, definitely on the stiffer side(not sure if that was a special SW taper, or his standard taper). I'd recommend the guy personally, and have been in talks with him about getting a cue made, pretty straightforward and easy to deal with.
Worth a look IMO https://www.cuesdirectly.com/

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
At the end of the day it's subjective, I have seen cuemakers and players describe wood combinations totally differently, some say Ebony is a pinger, some say it's a thumper.

When you say stiff and soft, I personally think of two different types of cues. Like, do you want a stiff hit like a southwest but with a soft tip and wood to wood joint?

I spend a lot of time on AZ, never seen a negative comment about David Brainard's work, hit a couple of his cues, definitely on the stiffer side(not sure if that was a special SW taper, or his standard taper). I'd recommend the guy personally, and have been in talks with him about getting a cue made, pretty straightforward and easy to deal with.
Worth a look IMO https://www.cuesdirectly.com/

Don't need to be a webmaster to be a great cue builder but I wish he'd get someone to clean up his site for him. Probably doesn't do him justice.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't need to be a webmaster to be a great cue builder but I wish he'd get someone to clean up his site for him. Probably doesn't do him justice.
I just want to send my best Thank you on this subject.

It means that I can't be in a better position and that I am comfortable with it.

Every day I have choices, work on cues for the wonderful customers I have on a non stop waiting list or put these people off and work on my website.

It's a tough decision but the people who call me understand, I put customers before my website.

I have not put a new listing on my website in over a year. I have never listed a single cue on AZBilliards. I have not put a simple picture of a cue on Faceflop since last year, even then, the cues I posted were already sold.

I have not had a day off this year, less than 10 last year and that meant that I pushed myself hard with 15-18 mile hikes thru the mountains, 3000-4000 feet in elevation gain, awesome times. I work hard every day and my days off are even harder but guess what? To me it's like I never work at all, it's all too good.

I think I will go to my website right now and show that I am all sold out, nothing left to sell.

Then I should stop taking orders until I get my website is up to snuff, I have many cues done that could be on there.

Problem is this, first call will be answered with a smile, customer will talk about a cue they want made and I will smile and get it in the pipeline.

It's a wonderful cycle, what do you do for a living? Do you love it more than any work you ever did?

Thanks again, I really mean that so Thanks again, Dave.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, especially when viewing from a mobile device.

I could not let it go without saying Thanks to you as well. The website works fine on my phone and on my confuser but I have heard people say it's not good on a mobile.

I could program computers in 5 languages while in my teenage years and things are so much easier these days that I should be able to fix this one real easy but I am not sure what the problem is.

Let me know what you're seeing that is bad, I will see what I can do by 7 am when my real day begins.

Thanks again and BTW, I could not give another greenie.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It means that I can't be in a better position and that I am comfortable with it.

Every day I have choices, work on cues for the wonderful customers I have on a non stop waiting list or put these people off and work on my website.

It's a tough decision but the people who call me understand, I put customers before my website.

I have not put a new listing on my website in over a year. I have never listed a single cue on AZBilliards. I have not put a simple picture of a cue on Faceflop since last year, even then, the cues I posted were already sold.

I have not had a day off this year, less than 10 last year and that meant that I pushed myself hard with 15-18 mile hikes thru the mountains, 3000-4000 feet in elevation gain, awesome times. I work hard every day and my days off are even harder but guess what? To me it's like I never work at all, it's all too good.

I think I will go to my website right now and show that I am all sold out, nothing left to sell.

Then I should stop taking orders until I get my website is up to snuff, I have many cues done that could be on there.

Problem is this, first call will be answered with a smile, customer will talk about a cue they want made and I will smile and get it in the pipeline.

It's a wonderful cycle, what do you do for a living? Do you love it more than any work you ever did?

Not sure if serious or being sarcastic about fixing up your website, but if you don't know HTML, CSS and JavaScript using a site maker like Wix you can have a pretty stellar looking site that is mobile compatible in a couple hours.. If you wrote your own code, I could take a look if you wanted.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member

HA! I have no doubt everything you said is true - thanks. I assume a website is to display your work, offer what is for sale, and to buy your creation.

I am in sales (which is always related to marketing). Your site is a "presentation of you" and from the sounds of it, doesn't come close to the quality of your work. Hate for anyone to misinterpret you because of it.

Website people are a dime-a-dozen. Chances are you could get a high schooler to pretty up to match the quality of your product.

But I guess the question is, why have a site if you don't care, it isn't up-to-date, or need one to stay 100% at capacity?

Here's the net (most people's impression): if the site looks sloppy and awkward, why would we trust your product isn't?

So I never meant this as even "constructive criticism" but rather the thought that the presentation of you deserves to be as good as your work. And you're like a couple hundo away from having that. People love perusing craftsman's wares - especially in the world of billiards.

Keep living the dream Dave! :dance: