Spot Shot Aiming Methods

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
How many big events or money matches have been won by anyone that claims to be a CTE user? Before you go and post your list of names again, might I remind you the only person on your list that has any relevancy in professional pool is Tyler Styer. Even then he's only had one big win, and has a 1-3 record in singles at the Mosconi Cup.

LMAO! I guess getting picked for the Mosconi Cup Team means anybody can do it. You do know it's the ultimate honor to be selected, right? The selection comes based on points for wins and finishes in different events. If you aren't one of the best in the US at the time, you don't get picked.

I suppose you could keep hanging on to that time Landon beat Earl 7 years ago.

You live in a COCOON like many others. There's a real life of action outside of AZ that doesn't get reported as well as some that do.

Stan knows and could come up with 50 or so titles that CTE PRO ONE endorsed instructors have won.....national championships, tour events, state titles, regional championships, special events, etc.

That's because he knows what to look for and they report back to him with pride and gratitude after knocking something off.

Money matches go on all the time but they're usually private stuff that goes unreported.
Including mine. Wanna play? Name your poison and amount.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You live in a COCOON like many others. There's a real life of action outside of AZ that doesn't get reported as well as some that do.

Stan knows and could come up with 50 or so titles that CTE PRO ONE endorsed instructors have won.....national championships, tour events, state titles, regional championships, special events, etc.

That's because he knows what to look for and they report back to him with pride and gratitude after knocking something off.

Money matches go on all the time but they're usually private stuff that goes unreported.
Including mine. Wanna play? Name your poison and amount.

So CTE users have won some local events. Cool.

If the world doesn't end and you find yourself in FL, shoot me a message. I'm sure we can arrange something friendly.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So CTE users have won some local events. Cool.

Events won are events won. What do you play in?

Aren't you interested in what other aiming systems have won also? Shane has won his share of events using a ferrule aiming system. People say he's crazy and it's a lie. CJ explained his aiming system of fractions. He was also castigated as being a liar and that it couldn't possibly work.

You probably fall in that category.

If the world doesn't end and you find yourself in FL, shoot me a message. I'm sure we can arrange something friendly.

Your friendly and my friendly probably won't be the same. I won't be giving any spots either based on the 57-37. If that's what you got, that's what you got.

Cookie is in Florida. I'm sure he'd oblige you for some money that's worthwhile.

Florida is a huge state. What part of FL?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...there's no possible way to design a system that can "take you to" every needed cut angle (even accounting for pocket slop) that wouldn't be too detailed and complex to use at the table.

Joe Tucker's Contact Point Aiming system by the numbers will do it from 0-90 degrees.
In case we needed another demonstration of your failure to grasp the obvious...

Tucker's numbered training balls don't make contact point aiming "objective" - they're a training aid to help you learn to estimate CB/OB overlaps. The fact that he only uses 10 numbers should also tell you (or a person of normal intelligence) that - even with pocket slop it takes 25 or so contact areas to pocket a simple spot shot from every angle.

"MR. VIRTUAL POOL" himself. Far more time on the computer than on a table.
Pretty sure I spend more time on a table than you do. Every day, in fact. Right now, in fact.

One more thing you're just simply wrong about.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Tucker's numbered training balls don't make contact point aiming "objective" - they're a training aid to help you learn to estimate CB/OB overlaps. The fact that he only uses 10 numbers should also tell you (or a person of normal intelligence) that - even with pocket slop it takes 25 or so contact areas to pocket a simple spot shot from every angle.

ROTFLMAO! If it can't be made with 10 numbers on the OB and CB to match up, how in the world can a human visualize 25 numbers
to pocket balls? Oh that's right...FEEL can see the "in betweens" of each of those 10 numbers on both sides of the balls.
Btw, I spent two full days on the table with Joe Tucker at his place while he called out the numbers on the balls, linked them up, and made shot after shot like a robot.

I guess, according to you, this also makes POOLOLOGY totally ineffective and worthless because it has the same number of fractions.

Pretty sure I spend more time on a table than you do. Every day, in fact. Right now, in fact.

One more thing you're just simply wrong about.

pj
chgo

How about a short video of you doing something mind blowing for each of us while at the table to turn us all into B- players like yourself. I as a long time pool player and anybody for that matter should be thankful we aren't you with all of the worthless garbage in your head on the table or off the table. There's only ONE you and it's YOU. Thank God!!

What is gratifying and hilarious is...

You are still CTE OWNED

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If it can't be made with 10 numbers on the OB and CB to match up, how in the world can a human visualize 25 numbers to pocket balls?
How, indeed?

Oh that's right...FEEL can see the "in betweens" of each of those 10 numbers on both sides of the balls.
That's right. It also takes "feel" (practiced estimation) to learn and recall the correct CB/OB overlaps for the 10 numbers themselves, even when using the training balls (not to mention when trying to translate that training to unnumbered balls used in actual play).

I guess this also makes POOLOLOGY totally ineffective and worthless because it has the same number of fractions.
It makes Poolology's explanation of how it works realistic (unlike CTE). Look that word up.

This stuff is completely over your head, isn't it?

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
That's right. It also takes "feel" (practiced estimation) to learn and recall the correct CB/OB overlaps for the 10 numbers themselves,

There's something called a "grid layout" with the CB and OB at different locations of the table to determine the number match. It takes a LOT of practice.

even when using the training balls (not to mention when trying to translate that training to unnumbered balls used in actual play).

So what has your genius developed to make it any easier and well defined? Haven't seen anything being sold by Pat Johnson, Inc. All you do is knock everything and attempt to show how ill designed and defined it is. Please produce the CLEARITY and EXACTNESS of FEEL.

It makes Poolology's explanation of how it works realistic (unlike CTE). Look that word up.

This stuff is completely over your head, isn't it?

pj
chgo

All I'm glad about is what's in my head isn't what's in YOUR head!
GOD help anyone if it is.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your friendly and my friendly probably won't be the same. I won't be giving any spots either based on the 57-37. If that's what you got, that's what you got.

Cookie is in Florida. I'm sure he'd oblige you for some money that's worthwhile.

Florida is a huge state. What part of FL?

My friendly can be $5-$10 a game (any game) to few hundred dollar sets.

I'm in central FL, maybe 30 minutes from Orlando.

I believe in cookie is further south, but he'd be a fun match up.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
My friendly can be $5-$10 a game (any game) to few hundred dollar sets.

I'm in central FL, maybe 30 minutes from Orlando.

I believe in cookie is further south, but he'd be a fun match up.

With me in PA and you down there the chances are slim and none. Unless you came up to the SBE. But that's been called off because of the virus and the future looks worse and worse.

Cookie is on the west coast around Tampa /ST. Pete.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
There is no "exactness" - there's only greater degrees of estimation accuracy through practice. That's the point (not that you'll ever get it).

And neither will anyone else. FEEL can't be defined or transferred.

And it's "clarity".

pj <- but who's counting?
chgo

ANYTHING rolling around in your brain...I hope I NEVER get! I want it to go over my head...to the left of my head...to the right of my head...or ricochet off the ground elsewhere.

Not only would I play worse (like you) but pool would become a drain.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So the next time you find yourself in a spot shot competition, this cb location should give you the best chance of nailing as many as possible.
I tried this setup a few minutes ago, trying to simply point the CB at the OB's edge with no "feel" for the aim. Got bored and stopped after making about 15 in a row.

pj <- clean but not new 860 and Centennials
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried this setup a few minutes ago, trying to simply point the CB at the OB's edge with no "feel" for the aim. Got bored and stopped after making about 15 in a row.

pj <- clean but not new 860 and Centennials
chgo

A few years ago a friend and I decided to have a friendly spot shot competition for a dollar a shot. My record was only 22, but I figured I was more consistent so I thought I'd win. Well I didn't win. Lol. I went first, made about 10 in a row before missing. He fired in about 15 or 20, can't remember the exact number. Then I get back up and miss the shot. He pockets another 20 or so before I quit and paid him. I think I lost about $30 in the 15 to 20 minutes we spent doing that. I was just free wheeling, but now I believe he was actually placing the cb for a halfball shot every time. And I didn't even know what a halfball shot was! Lol

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A few years ago a friend and I decided to have a friendly spot shot competition for a dollar a shot. My record was only 22, but I figured I was more consistent so I thought I'd win. Well I didn't win. Lol. I went first, made about 10 in a row before missing. He fired in about 15 or 20, can't remember the exact number. Then I get back up and miss the shot. He pockets another 20 or so before I quit and paid him. I think I lost about $30 in the 15 to 20 minutes we spent doing that. I was just free wheeling, but now I believe he was actually placing the cb for a halfball shot every time. And I didn't even know what a halfball shot was! Lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDz9Hqj9KUU
Great. You are 118 away from her.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I've seen this! What's more entertaining is watching the difference in skill level between her and the players at the adjacent tables. They are shooting quarter ball cuts. Great practice for anyone interested in fine tuning their quarter ball aiming skills. The same shot can be pocketed easily by aiming a little thicker than a quarter and using a halftip of outside english, backhand english.
Just aim the shot so that your ferrule looks like it would be flush against the ob edge if you could follow through that far. Then apply half a tip of outside spin, top outside helps avoid a scratch shot. Watching the cb it looks like they are just hitting above center with no spin, so it's quarter shot practice.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've seen this! What's more entertaining is watching the difference in skill level between her and the players at the adjacent tables. They are shooting quarter ball cuts. Great practice for anyone interested in fine tuning their quarter ball aiming skills. The same shot can be pocketed easily by aiming a little thicker than a quarter and using a halftip of outside english, backhand english.
Just aim the shot so that your ferrule looks like it would be flush against the ob edge if you could follow through that far. Then apply half a tip of outside spin, top outside helps avoid a scratch shot. Watching the cb it looks like they are just hitting above center with no spin, so it's quarter shot practice.

No spin on her shots.
The big lesson from all that is she has a strong PSR.
Even shooting the same exact shot over and over again.
She goes through her PSR.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No spin on her shots.
The big lesson from all that is she has a strong PSR.
Even shooting the same exact shot over and over again.
She goes through her PSR.

On the one hand I can see that it is useful to ingrain a shot in your mind but at some point there are diminishing returns. Maybe this is a good endurance test to make sure you have a solid PSR that doesn't break down. On the negative side you can easily groove a path from cb to ob (not an actual groove, although that happens too, but a visual streak or line that forms after so many repetitions). There might be a line there from others doing the drill previously.

I wonder how she would have done if she switched over to left cuts. Wouldn't be at all surprised if she missed a couple until getting it grooved again.

Having said that, I'm not betting against her!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
By the way, this is what "objectively takes you to a slight overcut for throw" actually means. You won't find that in any aiming system (no, not even "that one").

pj
chgo

Half Ball Spot Shot - Easy Setup.jpg

Last edited: